4 Corners trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

berkyo

Service Attendant
Hi, This is my first post here.

Husband and I have taken the Lakeshore Limited form Rochester to Chicago and found it inexpensive, and easy traveling. We have a nephew there. Last year we branched out and continued from Chicago on to Minot ND, Drove down to the Badlands and over to Devil's Tower and then back to Minot. A lot of driving, but a great trip!

This year we want to go to the 4 corners area in September and again, the train does not go there. So do we get off at Grand Junction, Co or Green River, Ut, drive down to Arches, Canyonlands, Monument Valley, Chaco Canyon and Gallup, NM, where we get the eastbound train back to Chicago? Or do we go the other way? Does it matter tactically? Any suggestions?

The second problem, is renting a car. When I look for rentals in Green River, there do not seem to be any near the amtrak, which gets in about 5PM. They are out at the airport. Last year in Minoit, we found a Rent a Wreck that came to the station and picked us up on a Sunday am and rented us a lovely shiny red Pontiac sedan that got 30 mpg. Very nice. But after 6 the rentals are closed in UT and Co. The train will prob be late (Minot trip was 8 hours behind! what with flooding in the pothole prairie country and then our train hit a truck trying to beat the signal and 2 people in the truck killed) so we will be on foot with too much luggage in a strange town, and getting dark. I hate it when that happens ..... Any suggestions on how to deal with that?

Also, Those of you who have been out in that part of the world. Should we pay extra for a SUV? or Jeep? Maybe a sedan won't go where I want to? Moderate hiking a bit off the path. Also, Indian ruins are not on the usually on the main road. Google earth shows us the area is going to be a bit "rustic" and that is coming form a rural Pennsylvanian who lives on a dirt road, off another dirt road.

We are using our rewards to pay for most of the trip and really looking forward to this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited!

There appears to be a Budget and Enterprise location in Gallup. The Budget location appears to be open until 10, and since the westbound train is due

in around 7 p.m. that should work. But you could always get a hotel the first night and then pick up the car first thing in the morning. In fact this might be a

good idea anyway as it may save you the cost of a rental day. The Budget website indicates they do free pick-ups at this location.

Or, you could get off the train in Albequerque, which would give you plenty of car rental options but would be a further drive from Four Corners.

I think I would be tempted to save New Mexico for another trip, that would include northern Arizona points like Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, and Winslow (LaPosada Hotel). It would be a lot cheaper to return a rental to the same location you rented it. Grand Junction would give you more options than Green River and is a good jumping off spot for the first 3 places you mention - Arches, Canyonlands, and Monument Valley -all 3 are spectacular places (be sure and rent some of the John Wayne movies filmed in Monument Valley before going- Ft. Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, The Searchers - the crew stayed at Gouldings Lodge during filming). Return to Grand Junction by way of Mesa Verde NP, Durango and the wonderful Durango and Silverton RR as well as nearby Cumbres and Toltec RR.

Thanks Fairviewroad. I was sure I checked Gallup before but I went there and you are right., there is an Enterprise.

I was all set to explain this to my husband when I saw Palmland's note.

A friend who RV's suggested we are trying to do too much. I was thinking , after your note's that maybe just southern Utah itself would be good enough. Returning to the same place is cheaper but then the train ride is the same too. So we have lots to think about. Thanks. and we will let you know as we make plans firmer. Maybe just Grand Junction and the southeast of Ut. If I got that close to Chaco thought, I would have to go there.

Thanks Fairviewroad. I was sure I checked Gallup before but I went there and you are right., there is an Enterprise.

I was all set to explain this to my husband when I saw Palmland's note.

A friend who RV's suggested we are trying to do too much. I was thinking , after your note's that maybe just southern Utah itself would be good enough. Returning to the same place is cheaper but then the train ride is the same too. So we have lots to think about. Thanks. and we will let you know as we make plans firmer. Maybe just Grand Junction and the southeast of Ut. If I got that close to Chaco thought, I would have to go there.
Hello there!

Two years ago we rented a car in Gallup (from the SWC east from LA)and did a week, stopping at Chaco Canyon, Mesa Verde, Durango (with the train trip), Canyonland, Arches, Capitol Reef, Lake Powell, Montezuma Valley, Canyon de Chelly and back to Gallup.

The road into Chaco is unpaved for a while, but unless there is rain, it is perfectly doable in a normal rental car, certainly in an SUV.

If you are willing to pay the big extra costs incurred in a one-way rental, I would suggest heading north from Capitol Reef and ending up in Denver via Rocky Mountain National Park.

If you are a member of AAA, by all means try to get ahold of the Indian Country Guide Map, part of the Explore Series collection of the AAA. It is invaluable for planning any kind of road trip through southern Utah, northern New Mexico, northern Arizona and southern Colorado!

Good luck!

Berkyo, if you don't want to return on the CZ, you could return the car to Grand Junction and take the CZ, but go west, to Sacramento. The Sierra's are almost as scenic as the Rockies. Sacramento is an interesting town and a good place to get a cheap Southwest flight back to Chicago.

Drop charges are likely to be high if you rent in one town and return in another. When is your trip? In the summertime it can rain, sometimes heavily, which can cause problems with driving on unpaved roads. I lived in Arizona for 20 years, now in New Mexico, and I've driven extensively in the four corners area. I don't think spending extra for an SUV is necessary, unless you plan a lot of driving on unpaved roads in summer or winter.

I agree that you should not apill over your limits, but I don't want you to fly back from SAC. If you wanted to take a train, take a train ALL THE WAY. I'm thinking that you might want to visit Durango if you go through Grand Junction. It's even accesible by TNM&O bus. This is coming from one of the few Aericansd who don't drive. :wacko:

Thanks everyone for the good advice, We don't want to fly anymore. the train is so easy in comparison, and bring almost fully retired, we can afford the luxaury of being days late. Besides when a train has an accident, most people walk away from it.

The Durango Train is something I know nothing about and will check on that. We will save Ca for another trip and maybe have enough rewards for bedroom. If we did we will do the whole Xcountry ride. Good to know advice about cars! We did not want to pay the extra money for the SUV or the gas it would need.

I read about a small place with cabins near Blanding and we are now thinking of scaling back to going to Gallup, then up through Indian country and stay at the cabins for several days. We could take day trips from there to Arches and Canyonlands. Then move back down to Gallup through Mesa Verde and maybe Durango if it isn't too far north.

Love the sculpting of a trip!

Just checked and the Durango train does not run in Sept. That's when we will be going.

Just checked and the Durango train does not run in Sept. That's when we will be going.
Not sure what you checked but this is not correct. The Durango-Silverton trains runs every day in September. We're taking the train in late September.

Go to the official website.

Husband and I have taken the Lakeshore Limited form Rochester to Chicago and found it inexpensive, and easy traveling. We have a nephew there. Last year we branched out and continued from Chicago on to Minot ND, Drove down to the Badlands and over to Devil's Tower and then back to Minot. A lot of driving, but a great trip!

This year we want to go to the 4 corners area in September and again, the train does not go there. So do we get off at Grand Junction, Co or Green River, Ut, drive down to Arches, Canyonlands, Monument Valley, Chaco Canyon and Gallup, NM, where we get the eastbound train back to Chicago? Or do we go the other way? Does it matter tactically? Any suggestions?

The second problem, is renting a car. When I look for rentals in Green River, there do not seem to be any near the amtrak, which gets in about 5PM. They are out at the airport. Last year in Minoit, we found a Rent a Wreck that came to the station and picked us up on a Sunday am and rented us a lovely shiny red Pontiac sedan that got 30 mpg. Very nice. But after 6 the rentals are closed in UT and Co. The train will prob be late (Minot trip was 8 hours behind! what with flooding in the pothole prairie country and then our train hit a truck trying to beat the signal and 2 people in the truck killed) so we will be on foot with too much luggage in a strange town, and getting dark. I hate it when that happens ..... Any suggestions on how to deal with that?

Also, Those of you who have been out in that part of the world. Should we pay extra for a SUV? or Jeep? Maybe a sedan won't go where I want to? Moderate hiking a bit off the path. Also, Indian ruins are not on the usually on the main road. Google earth shows us the area is going to be a bit "rustic" and that is coming form a rural Pennsylvanian who lives on a dirt road, off another dirt road.

We are using our rewards to pay for most of the trip and really looking forward to this.

Hi,

Have visited (4) corners area for 10 years straight prior to retiring in Las Vegas, NV. National Parks and Indian ruins fan. If you have 7-10 days, I would suggest the following:

Grand Junction to Moab, UT via I-70/Utah SR 128 (Very scenic) AFTER spending 1st night in Grand junction, CO.

Stay (2) nights in Moab @ Quality Inn south of downtown.

If you leave Grand Jct by 9;00 AM you can arrive in Moab, UT in enough time to see Arches and Canyon Lands N.P on your first day. Hike to Landscape Arch and Skyline Arch at Arches

Second day, tour Canyonlands N.P BELOW the rim by 4X4 and Colorado River by jetboat through Tagalong Tours 800-453-3292. I guarantee you will never stop talking about this part of your trip

After (2) days, head south on Utah RT 191 to Monument Valley and stay at Gouldings Lodge and when making reservations tell them you want to go on the Monument Valley Sunset tour the day you are scheduled to arrive. Takes about (3) to get from Moab to Goudings Lodge. Stop at Twin Rocks cafe in Bluff, UT for lunch. You'll need to arrive at Gouldings Lodge about (2) hours BEFORE sunset as the tour ends back at the lodge about an hour AFTER sunset so leave Moab by 9:00 AM. After the tour, eat dinner at the lodge restaurant.

The view coming into Monument Valley from Moab will take your breath away. After a night at Gouldings Lodge, head south on RT 191 to Arizona and then RT 163/160 to Tuba City, have lunch. Head east on Rt 264 to the Hopi Indian Reservation. After about 30 miles you will enter the reservation. DO NOT take any pictures with a camera, video recorder or any electronic device while on the reservation. Hopi rules. At town of Second Mesa have lunch at Visitor Center/restaurant. Eat the tacos. At the visitor center inquire about the tours of First Mesa. What you will learn on the tour will amaze you.

Continue east to Ganado and Window Rock(Navajo Tribal Headquarters) Arizona and on to Gallup New Mexico. Stay at the Comfort Suites(brand new) and have dinner at Don Diegos(Mexican food)

Next day head north on Rt 491 to Shiprock, NM and then north to Cortez, CO. Stay there for the night. Next day head east on RT 160 about 10 miles to Mesa Verde N.P. Hike down to see some of the most preserved Anasazi ruins in America. Then head east to Durango, CO.

Stay in Durango for (2) nights. Take the train from Durango-Silverton and then take the BUS(included in price) back to Durango instead of the train. It's shorter and the scenery is incredible.

The next day day take Rt 550 from Durango, CO to Grand Junction, CO. 6-8 hours of incredible mountain scenery.

Total time is (8) nights and some of the most incredible sights and scenery in America. If you are older than (60) get your lifetime Golden Access National Parks pass prior to your vacation.

Have fun

NAVYBLUE

Hi,

A few years back I flew to Chicago with a view to a three week Amtrak railpass holiday. Unfortunately I think that was the time they changed the railpass rules and I was unable to book all the trains I required. Being at a loss for a day or so, I then decided to rent a car and drive to San Francisco and back. I had a great adventure, keeping to the less used roads, including route 50, "the loneliest road in America".

I love rail travel but I have to confess that my impromptu backroads trip was fantastic, despite your lack of "roundabouts" !

It was probably not allowed by the hire company, but my non suv regular vehicle was fine on "The ghost trail", an unpaved former railroad bed from Canon City up to Cripple Creek.

There are a few pics on my photo page (look for road trip...) PHOTOS

Ed :cool:

Hi,

Have visited (4) corners area for 10 years straight prior to retiring in Las Vegas, NV. National Parks and Indian ruins fan. If you have 7-10 days, I would suggest the following:

Grand Junction to Moab, UT via I-70/Utah SR 128 (Very scenic) AFTER spending 1st night in Grand junction, CO.

Stay (2) nights in Moab @ Quality Inn south of downtown.

If you leave Grand Jct by 9;00 AM you can arrive in Moab, UT in enough time to see Arches and Canyon Lands N.P on your first day. Hike to Landscape Arch and Skyline Arch at Arches

Second day, tour Canyonlands N.P BELOW the rim by 4X4 and Colorado River by jetboat through Tagalong Tours 800-453-3292. I guarantee you will never stop talking about this part of your trip

After (2) days, head south on Utah RT 191 to Monument Valley and stay at Gouldings Lodge and when making reservations tell them you want to go on the Monument Valley Sunset tour the day you are scheduled to arrive. Takes about (3) to get from Moab to Goudings Lodge. Stop at Twin Rocks cafe in Bluff, UT for lunch. You'll need to arrive at Gouldings Lodge about (2) hours BEFORE sunset as the tour ends back at the lodge about an hour AFTER sunset so leave Moab by 9:00 AM. After the tour, eat dinner at the lodge restaurant.

The view coming into Monument Valley from Moab will take your breath away. After a night at Gouldings Lodge, head south on RT 191 to Arizona and then RT 163/160 to Tuba City, have lunch. Head east on Rt 264 to the Hopi Indian Reservation. After about 30 miles you will enter the reservation. DO NOT take any pictures with a camera, video recorder or any electronic device while on the reservation. Hopi rules. At town of Second Mesa have lunch at Visitor Center/restaurant. Eat the tacos. At the visitor center inquire about the tours of First Mesa. What you will learn on the tour will amaze you.

Continue east to Ganado and Window Rock(Navajo Tribal Headquarters) Arizona and on to Gallup New Mexico. Stay at the Comfort Suites(brand new) and have dinner at Don Diegos(Mexican food)

Next day head north on Rt 491 to Shiprock, NM and then north to Cortez, CO. Stay there for the night. Next day head east on RT 160 about 10 miles to Mesa Verde N.P. Hike down to see some of the most preserved Anasazi ruins in America. Then head east to Durango, CO.

Stay in Durango for (2) nights. Take the train from Durango-Silverton and then take the BUS(included in price) back to Durango instead of the train. It's shorter and the scenery is incredible.

The next day day take Rt 550 from Durango, CO to Grand Junction, CO. 6-8 hours of incredible mountain scenery.

Total time is (8) nights and some of the most incredible sights and scenery in America. If you are older than (60) get your lifetime Golden Access National Parks pass prior to your vacation.

Have fun

NAVYBLUE
Great itinerary. Have done all of these places and roads though not on the same routing.

Just one correction: an individual must be 62 to get the lifetime National Parks Golden Access pass.

"Check their website and look at the train/motor coach combo schedules. It goes to Oct 16"

LOL, I must have been looking at something else. You directed me to the same page I visited. And I see the train is available in Sept.

Navy Blue,

Thanks for the Sample Itinerary. It sounds good to me. Very like the original one I planned, You make it sound possible LOL.

Do you think it is worth going to Canyon de Chelly? If we also go to Chaco? I have always wanted to go to Chelly, but several people who have visited say you cannot go into the canyon unless you are on a paid tour. I think i would see similar ruins ion both places? Or does Mesa have almost the same thing. We sawa documentary on Chaco recently and it was fascinating.Also just reread "Thief of Time".

You have described my "Hillerman" section of the trip perfectly. Skirting the Navajo reservation.

Also. I would really like to walk into one of the slot canyons without breaking my neck. We DO have the senior passes, so not as steady as I used to be. My rock to rock leaping days are over and done with.

You guys are a great help!

"Check their website and look at the train/motor coach combo schedules. It goes to Oct 16"

LOL, I must have been looking at something else. You directed me to the same page I visited. And I see the train is available in Sept.

Navy Blue,

Thanks for the Sample Itinerary. It sounds good to me. Very like the original one I planned, You make it sound possible LOL.

Do you think it is worth going to Canyon de Chelly? If we also go to Chaco? I have always wanted to go to Chelly, but several people who have visited say you cannot go into the canyon unless you are on a paid tour. I think i would see similar ruins ion both places? Or does Mesa have almost the same thing. We sawa documentary on Chaco recently and it was fascinating.Also just reread "Thief of Time".

You have described my "Hillerman" section of the trip perfectly. Skirting the Navajo reservation.

Also. I would really like to walk into one of the slot canyons without breaking my neck. We DO have the senior passes, so not as steady as I used to be. My rock to rock leaping days are over and done with.

You guys are a great help!
Hi,

The side trip to Canyon De Chelly is not worth the driving out of the way. If you decide to go, there is a trail from the rim that you can take to see the ruins. The ruins at Mesa Verde are much better and they are much better preserved. Don' t go on a ranger tour of the ruins. Most are stupid PC clowns. I am not an expert on pueblo people, but I have forgotten more about pueblo cultures than those morons will learn in their lifetimes. Go on Goggle and type in "Hopi" and read about them. They are NOT Anasazi. It is disrespectful to call them that. They are Hisat-Sinom. The Hopi, Navajo and Zuni people are very approachable and will attempt to answer virtually question about their culture except their religious ceremonies.

Chaco is simply incredible and the PBS documentary nails it. Worth the side trip.

Have fun.

NAVYBLUE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back