#300 & #302 right behind each other

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ParanoidAndroid

OBS Chief
Why are #300 and #302 right behind each other? #300 is 5.5 hours late (!!) and #302 is about 3 hours late. They seem to be late right out of St. Louis. Texas Eagle #22 5 hours late seems pretty normal to me.

Maybe St.Louis put them together as 1 long train? Or equipment shuffling messed-up? Who knows?

I was going to ask the same question. When leaving St. Louis today I noticed that the 22 and 301 were passing each other on the MacArthur Bridge.

... i mean #300 & #302 Lincoln Services, not Silver Services. They're supposed to be 2 hours apart, but today they were just minutes apart, both hours late out of st.louis as I looked on "track a train" and saw them at bloomington IL.

And yes, the silver services are barely 40 minutes apart when they reach Miami.

#3 and #5 are 1 hour apart out of Chicago, and #4 & #6 are less than 1/2 hour apart into Chicago.

I can edu-conjecture that the clustering of trains like this may be the result of "fleeting". This is a practice on single-track sections of railroad where the dispatcher lines-up multiple trains in the same direction, holding the opposite traffic which is then eventually released under the same scheme. I suspect the change in the performance incentives might have a role in this, allowing the RRs to simply treat Amtrak like their normal trains. The priority most of the time is just to get the train from A to B without having to patch crews, the precise schedule not important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe St.Louis put them together as 1 long train? Or equipment shuffling messed-up? Who knows?
That's actually what happened. It was a double draft. They were combined on some wye after the switch to bring them out failed and a freight train broke down. It delayed their turns in CHI too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back