3 people in a roomette?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosh, I didn't find (name omitted) any more offensive than p&sr, if "offensive" is even the right word. They both expressed an opinion that I felt were very opposite extremes. But it is still their opinion, and honestly, probably a good example of the extremes one might find with other passengers onboard a train.
Thank you for your Vote of Confidence. I try not to be too offensive while riding, and I try not to deliberately provoke little ones into making trouble. One of the most interesting things about Rail Travel is the great variety of different people one encounters on board.

I remember one time when I was bothered by kids on board. There was a school-aged Soccer Team returning home from a Tournament out-of-state. All the kids were in the Lounge car, playing cards. One of them was screaming wildly after every play. After the first 40 minutes or so, this got a little wearying. I tried some gentle "shushing" gestures, to no avail. Then my wife gently advised the child, "Use your Indoor Voice...".

At this, the kid's Dad stood up. Way down at the other end of the lounge, weighing 350 pounds and all muscle, accompanying three other guys from the group with the same build. In a Thunderous Voice he declared, "You got an issue with My Kid, You talk to ME about it, Understand?"

So I explained to him, Your child does not actually have to constantly Scream like a Banshee while playing cards, perhaps you could have him tone it down a bit?

He replied in his Thunderous Voice, "You got an issue with My Kid, You talk to ME about it, Understand?"

So I explained that I was doing exactly that, and could the child kindly be a bit quieter while playing cards?

At this, he was absolutely dumbstruck. He sat down, muttering to his pals that "some people don't think the Lounge Car is for Having Fun."

Remarkably, the kid sensed his lack of ongoing support for rowdiness, and played quietly for another ten minutes before going back to his room without comment.

So the moral of the story is, You meet all kinds, and then you do what you can with it.

Gosh, I didn't find (name omitted) any more offensive than p&sr, if "offensive" is even the right word. They both expressed an opinion that I felt were very opposite extremes. But it is still their opinion, and honestly, probably a good example of the extremes one might find with other passengers onboard a train.
Thank you for your Vote of Confidence. I try not to be too offensive while riding, and I try not to deliberately provoke little ones into making trouble. One of the most interesting things about Rail Travel is the great variety of different people one encounters on board.

I remember one time when I was bothered by kids on board. There was a school-aged Soccer Team returning home from a Tournament out-of-state. All the kids were in the Lounge car, playing cards. One of them was screaming wildly after every play. After the first 40 minutes or so, this got a little wearying. I tried some gentle "shushing" gestures, to no avail. Then my wife gently advised the child, "Use your Indoor Voice...".

At this, the kid's Dad stood up. Way down at the other end of the lounge, weighing 350 pounds and all muscle, accompanying three other guys from the group with the same build. In a Thunderous Voice he declared, "You got an issue with My Kid, You talk to ME about it, Understand?"

So I explained to him, Your child does not actually have to constantly Scream like a Banshee while playing cards, perhaps you could have him tone it down a bit?

He replied in his Thunderous Voice, "You got an issue with My Kid, You talk to ME about it, Understand?"

So I explained that I was doing exactly that, and could the child kindly be a bit quieter while playing cards?

At this, he was absolutely dumbstruck. He sat down, muttering to his pals that "some people don't think the Lounge Car is for Having Fun."

Remarkably, the kid sensed his lack of ongoing support for rowdiness, and played quietly for another ten minutes before going back to his room without comment.

So the moral of the story is, You meet all kinds, and then you do what you can with it.
OK, now, can I or can't I fit two women with me in my roomette??????

:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Rail Freak,

I think that as long as you pick companions up en route, you may place them in your compartment as you wish. The movie "Silver Streak" comes to mind! :rolleyes:

But, without wanting to add further derailment to this at one time valid discussion----is there actually room for 3 in a roomette (in the daytime configuration????) One adult in each seat, and possibly a child in a lap? Can't imagine that would be too comfortable for too long.

One adult in each seat, and possibly a child in a lap? Can't imagine that would be too comfortable for too long.
Again, I would think the adult(s) in the seat(s), and the child up in the upper bunk. Even during the day, the upper bunk makes a great play area/"tree fort".

On my travels, 3 in a roomette will be pretty tight, but defiantely doable. On unruly kids....I have been bothered more by adults on Amtrak than kids, and I'm not a "small kid fan" and I don't have children. Seems like kids think the train is pretty cool so hopefully your small child will be in awe of Amtrak.

I'm not huge, but neither am I tiny, and I can fit fine sharing a roomette seat with either my 3 or my 6 year old (fortunately, since we're two kids and an adult rather than two adults and a kid, the two kids can share the seat very comfortably. Also I make them take the rearfacing seat because I am mean).

The toilet seat cover of the Viewliner is upholstered sorta. You can have someone sit there.
The toilet seat cover in the Viewliner roomette is hard plastic, fine for sitting for many 15 to 20 minutes. But I sure wouldn't want to sit on it for several hours.

I think after driving a German car for so many years, I must have a different definition of hard than most :p

But hey, small kids can sit on school floors cross-legged, so who knows?

I think after driving a German car for so many years, I must have a different definition of hard than most :p
:lol: :lol:

But hey, small kids can sit on school floors cross-legged, so who knows?
Quite right! And perhaps has a small kid I too wouldn't have minded sitting on that toilet lid. As an adult I can promise you that I wouldn't want to though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back