$3 increase on long distance trains or what?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Gingee

We are confused here. What is the $3 increase on? I doubt it is long distance trains because $3 is nothing.

Guest_Gingee said:
We are confused here. What is the $3 increase on? I doubt it is long distance trains because $3 is nothing.
News Release

National Railroad Passenger Corporation

60 Massachusetts Avenue NE

Washington, DC 20002

www.amtrak.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ATK-05-075

September 9, 2005

Rising Fuel Costs Lead to Amtrak Fare Increase

WASHINGTON - Amtrak today announced it will raise most fares between 5% and 7% to offset higher fuel costs and other expenses. The average fare nationally will increase $3 and the average fare in the Northeast Corridor will increase $4. The adjustments will go into effect September 20.

Rising oil prices have substantially increased the cost of locomotive diesel fuel and the prices of all other goods and services Amtrak consumes. While Amtrak has taken aggressive steps to reduce fuel and other expenses while running more trains this year, fuel costs have risen nearly 40% over one year ago and are expected to continue to increase.

Additionally, in the Northeast Corridor, fares for Smart Passes - monthly and 10-trip tickets - are being increased to reflect the growing fuel costs and a decision by Amtrak to reduce the deep discounts - as much as 70% - historically afforded Smart Pass passengers. The monthly tickets will be discounted at a 50% savings over the regular one-way fare (based on a passenger making 18 roundtrips per month) and a 20% savings for passengers purchasing 10-trip tickets. The 50% discount is the largest offered by Amtrak.

Reserved Service Expands

Amtrak will also expand reserved service on September 20 to virtually all trains in the Northeast, adding New York State Empire Service, Keystone trains between Philadelphia and New York, and shuttle trains between New Haven and Springfield to the previously reserved Regional, Metroliner and Acela Express trains. Clocker trains between Philadelphia and New York City will remain unreserved.

The expanded all-reserved service ensures every passenger a seat every time they board a train. While reservations are required, customers will still be able to purchase tickets for same day travel, as long as the train has not sold out beforehand. With all-reserved service, Amtrak is better able to monitor passenger demand and adjust train capacity accordingly.

About Amtrak

Amtrak provides intercity passenger rail services to more than 500 destinations in 46 states on a 22,000-mile route system. For schedules, fares and information, passengers may call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com.

So this $3 is on short travel trains such as inner-city trains?

I am still confused. Doesn't take much to confuse me.

BNSF_1088 said:
All Amtrak trains will see a 5-7% Fare Increase.:)
That will most likely mean an increase of $3 as an average on all long distance trains. You may see more or less depending on the route you're traveling.

On the Northeast Corridor, the increase will average closer to $4.

To me $3 or $4 increase on a trip is nothing. It is hardly even the amount of a tip to a waiter or waitress.

$3 may not sound like a lot per passenger, but LDTs will carry almost 4 million passengers in FY05 and that translates to a lot of money - - $12,000,000.00.

haolerider said:
$3 may not sound like a lot per passenger, but LDTs will carry almost 4 million passengers in FY05 and that translates to a lot of money - - $12,000,000.00.
Which is 1% of Amtrak's subsidy for this year. Add on the fare increase on the NEC, and you've got quite a pretty sum of extra cash coming in. Then again, Amtrak certainly needs the money, since, IIRC, they were slightly under budget for revenue for the year last time I checked.

Amtrak mum on fare-hike details

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Amtrak officials were mum Monday (Sept. 12) on what their fare increase -- scheduled to take effect next Tuesday -- would mean specifically for upstate rail travelers, according to the Times Union.

"We're not going to get into specific fares until they're published," said Amtrak spokesman Cliff Black.

Black said the fares would be loaded into the railroad's computer reservation system, but it wasn't clear how quickly that would happen. In the meantime, tickets for travel beyond Sept. 20 would be sold at the current fares, he said.

Amtrak announced late Friday that fares would rise an average 5 percent to 7 percent systemwide, that discounts on tickets for multiple rides and monthly passes would be reduced from a maximum of 70 percent to no more than 50 percent, and that some previously unreserved corridor trains -- including those on the Empire Corridor across New York state -- would now require reservations.

The railroad blamed higher energy costs for the increase.My Webpage

I would not hesitiate spending 10-15% more on an Amtrak ticket as long as they keep the trains running. In my books, it still beats flying!

Back