3(27) and 4(28) in major disruption

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears that 3(27) and 4(28) have been significantly delayed when BNSF shut down the line near Barstow for hours due to high winds. I understand the trains needed fresh crews which added to the delays. 3(27) was reported to be about 6 hours late and 4(28) was over 11 hours late.

Maybe someone has some further updates.

It appears that 3(27) and 4(28) have been significantly delayed when BNSF shut down the line near Barstow for hours due to high winds. I understand the trains needed fresh crews which added to the delays. 3(27) was reported to be about 6 hours late and 4(28) was over 11 hours late.

Maybe someone has some further updates.
All that I can see is something happened between Needles and Barstow, and I presume it was the high wind issue. The delay for both trains happened between those two stops.

From Amtrak alerts. Maybe IM freight train was blown over?
Amtrak Alerts
@AmtrakAlerts
·
6h

Southwest Chief Train 4 which departed Los Angeles (LAX) on 5/28 remains to be stopped due to freight train interference east of Barstow (BAR) due to disabled freight trains. Updates to follow as more information becomes available.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: A number of posts on general contingency planning for disaster avoidance and recovery have been moved to their own thread at:

https://www.amtraktrains.com/thread...aster-avoidance-and-recovery-at-amtrak.82190/
Please use this new thread for discussing general contingency planning for handling disasters at Amtrak.

Please keep this thread focused on the specific incident involving 3(27) and 4(28) (2022)

Thank you for your understanding, cooperation and participation.

Last edited:
Bad windy weather is not something that Amtrak's featherweight superliner cars want to tackle.
When 85k pound18 wheel trucks with less dimensions get tossed around the superliners would be like dirigibles floating off the tracks.
Straight line winds at the right angle could derail a whole train set.

It appears that, as of today (5-30-22), SWC No. 4 is running about 12-1/2 hours late. We will be interested to learn the specific details of how Amtrak accommodated those SWC passengers with guaranteed connections to other trains, specifically the eastbound No. 30 Capitol Limited.

Eric & Pat

It appears that, as of today (5-30-22), SWC No. 4 is running about 12-1/2 hours late. We will be interested to learn the specific details of how Amtrak accommodated those SWC passengers with guaranteed connections to other trains, specifically the eastbound No. 30 Capitol Limited.

Eric & Pat
It would be interesting to see what happens with this train and what the current Amtrak procedure is and whether it is consistent with past practices. Maybe someone will give us a first hand report.

However I have had some experience with this. In May of 2014 we arrived in Chicago about midnight to 1 a.m. on a very late No. 6. We had guaranteed connections to 448 to Boston. As I recall we were given very little information by Amtrak as we approached Chicago and it did not occur to me to call Amtrak reservations although maybe that would have been of little assistance. We had a roomette on No. 6 and roomette reservations on 448.

At some point either just before or just after arriving in Chicago we were told to go to Customer Service so we got our luggage (our bags were in the sleeping car and not in checked baggage) and made our way there. I can't recall the exact details but it seems to me that at Customer Service we were given some money for food and perhaps a hotel voucher, etc. We were then told to go to the ticket counter to make new reservations and then to go outside to a waiting bus. We went to the tircket counter and were given a reservation for a roomette from Chicago only as far as Syracuse since there was already a reservation made on the roomette on 448 from Syracuse to Boston. I guess that person who only needed a roomette for daytime use could not be inconvenienced by being moved to coach so we lost out Syracuse to Boston and were moved to coach.

But to get back to Chicago, after getting our reservation we went outside and boarded the bus. Unfortunately we were among the first passengers to go through this process so we had to wait on the bus while the rest of the passengers slowly went through the process and boarded the bus. We were waiting on the bus for about an hour. As I recall there were two buses, one went to a hotel in Chicago. Our bus took a half hour (?) trip to a hotel in Indiana in a city which begins with M. We finally got into our room about 3 a.m. It was a very nice hotel.

There was no distinction from what I could see between what was offered to sleeping car passengers and what was offered to coach passengers. Everyone got the same as far as hotel rooms and food allowance from what I could see.

We did not receive any instructions from Amtrak but got them from the bus driver. He told us that he would pick all of us up at 11 am that morrning and take us back to Union Station which he did.

The next morning some passengers told me that they were going to rent a car and drive the rest of their way. Others were going to fly. However I think most of us went back to Union Station on the bus. We spent the afternoon in Chicago and boarded 448 for Boston.

Of course 48/448 had a meltdown of its own so we got to Boston around 1 or 2 a.m. after all public transportation had ceased and we spent the night in South Station trying to sleep in a chair.

It would be interesting to see what happens with this train and what the current Amtrak procedure is and whether it is consistent with past practices. Maybe someone will give us a first hand report.

However I have had some experience with this. In May of 2014 we arrived in Chicago about midnight to 1 a.m. on a very late No. 6. We had guaranteed connections to 448 to Boston. As I recall we were given very little information by Amtrak as we approached Chicago and it did not occur to me to call Amtrak reservations although maybe that would have been of little assistance. We had a roomette on No. 6 and roomette reservations on 448.

At some point either just before or just after arriving in Chicago we were told to go to Customer Service so we got our luggage (our bags were in the sleeping car and not in checked baggage) and made our way there. I can't recall the exact details but it seems to me that at Customer Service we were given some money for food and perhaps a hotel voucher, etc. We were then told to go to the ticket counter to make new reservations and then to go outside to a waiting bus. We went to the tircket counter and were given a reservation for a roomette from Chicago only as far as Syracuse since there was already a reservation made on the roomette on 448 from Syracuse to Boston. I guess that person who only needed a roomette for daytime use could not be inconvenienced by being moved to coach so we lost out Syracuse to Boston and were moved to coach.

But to get back to Chicago, after getting our reservation we went outside and boarded the bus. Unfortunately we were among the first passengers to go through this process so we had to wait on the bus while the rest of the passengers slowly went through the process and boarded the bus. We were waiting on the bus for about an hour. As I recall there were two buses, one went to a hotel in Chicago. Our bus took a half hour (?) trip to a hotel in Indiana in a city which begins with M. We finally got into our room about 3 a.m. It was a very nice hotel.

There was no distinction from what I could see between what was offered to sleeping car passengers and what was offered to coach passengers. Everyone got the same as far as hotel rooms and food allowance from what I could see.

We did not receive any instructions from Amtrak but got them from the bus driver. He told us that he would pick all of us up at 11 am that morrning and take us back to Union Station which he did.

The next morning some passengers told me that they were going to rent a car and drive the rest of their way. Others were going to fly. However I think most of us went back to Union Station on the bus. We spent the afternoon in Chicago and boarded 448 for Boston.

Of course 48/448 had a meltdown of its own so we got to Boston around 1 or 2 a.m. after all public transportation had ceased and we spent the night in South Station trying to sleep in a chair.
When given Lemons, some people make Lemonaide!

Thank you so much for this detailed explanation of how Amtrak honored a guaranteed connection in 2014. (Ideally, someone who was on or who knows someone who was on the No. 4 that will be arriving 12 hours late will post a response as to how Amtrak accommodated those passengers with guaranteed connections.) In a little over four weeks, we’ll be taking No. 4 from Los Angeles to Chicago, connecting there with No. 30. While we’ve never missing this connection in our ten previous trips, we would like to have some idea of what to expect if our train does arrive late.

Around 2017 or 2018 they were keeping the metropolitan lounge open and having passengers sleep overnight in the lounge. This happened to passengers on the Empire Builder several times during one summer. I had a friend working for Amtrak and she would tell me this. She often earned overtime working in the lounge over night.

Back