#27 & #28 Checked Baggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail Freak

Engineer
Where is the checked baggage stored on the #27 & #28 between PDX & SPK? Been on them several times & never really thought about it til now.

Thanx

Where is the checked baggage stored on the #27 & #28 between PDX & SPK? Been on them several times & never really thought about it til now.

Thanx
It's stored in a baggage coach. It's a superliner coach, but where the lower level seating would be, there's a lockable baggage room.

RF,

Here's a link to photo of Baggage Coach with the big door and covered windows.

Forty four Superliner Is, 31000-31047. Also in service usually on the Texas Eagle, which usually runs without Baggage Car.

Looking at the doors side-by-side in the photo, I'm thinking there's a Jay Leno joke in there somewhere, as he's always cracking (rightfully) about "fat a** Americans." ,,,

I would assume that on most trains with a baggage car, it isn't very full. Am I right? If so, the new bag/dorms would work really well.

I would say yes and yes. Plus, many stations do not offer checked baggage service.

And surprisingly to me (until I saw one on the inside), there are no racks on the inside. So all the bags are placed on the floor of the car.

I've seen some pretty full baggage cars over the years. Granted part of the problem, as noted by the_traveler, is that there are no racks. Therefore you have quite a bit of wasted space since you can't pile the bags too high without them falling over. So the floor may be full, but you've got a lot of empty space from about waist high and up.

Having no racks in the baggage cars can definitely be a problem. Amtrak is pretty good about not losing baggage. But sometimes on the Silver Service trains, for example, where you have a lot of major stations with baggage service in close proximity (down in Florida,) things can get a little messed up. A bag supposed to be destined for, say, JAX can fall over into the pile of bags destined for TPA. And then when the passenger calls us because their bag is nowhere to be found in JAX, we have to call station by station from JAX - MIA to see if their bag fell into the wrong pile and ended up at the wrong destination. :wacko:

Well the new Viewliner II Baggage cars will have racks in them. Of course racks also have their own issues too, so it remains to be seen if it will truly be better or not.

Of course racks also have their own issues too, so it remains to be seen if it will truly be better or not.
Racks with issues?

What do you mean?
Bags come in all shapes and sizes, which don't always lend themselves to fitting nicely on a bunch of shelves. And bags can still be bumped off of shelves by a switch, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back