20 Hours in Japan

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not been to Narita so can't comment based on personal experience but based on your pics it looks like a bus station or a generic Amshak ! The amenities that Chris describes sound European, sure don't have those in the US Airports!
It's weird to think that the US has the largest domestic airline market by far and yet our airports are some of the least efficient and most generic examples I've ever seen. In the past I was able to bash European airports as well, especially London's infamous Heathrow. For decades Heathrow remained one of the most depressing airports I'd ever seen and left a bad taste in my mouth long after I had departed. Then a few weeks ago I arrived at Heathrow's brand new Terminal 2 and discovered a substantial improvement to the passenger experience compared to past visits. Now that Gatwick and Heathrow are owned and managed by different companies they're actually competing against each other in meaningful ways. Heathrow is still no match for the Asian super hubs but it's vast improvement over the dark and dreary maze of mold and mildew I once knew.

Well yesterday I got my first taste of Japan, and I have to say I was throughly underwhelmed. I know its not fair to judge an area by its airport, because most of my flying is done out of Newark and if people considered that view into life in to New York City they would be left just as unimpressed as I found Narita. For a major Asian airport that is still being built I found it to be very underwhelming. I have been through some of the bigger airports here in Asia (ICN,PEK,SIN,SHA) and NRT certainly didn't have much going for it. I walked through both Terminals and took the bus ride airside between the two. Nowhere did I find evidence of the rich culture that exists in Japan. I guess it was nicer then the Airport I arrived in here in Hanoi, but NRT definitely was underwhelming.
What service or product was Narita missing that you were expecting to find? It may not be as efficient as Singapore's Changi, as labyrinthine as Thailand's Suvarnabhumi, or as clean as Hong Kong's Chek Lap Kok. After all it's a botched and controversial development from the 1970's. And yet I've never actually wanted for anything while I was there. Tasty restaurants, draft beers, day rooms, shower rooms, money services, pharmacies, post offices, barbers, shaving, massage, observation decks, convenience stores, camera stores, free wifi, luggage wrapping, quirky candies, silly souvenirs, goofy knickknacks, numerous airline lounges, you name it. The only thing it doesn't have is instant access to Tokyo proper. I can't think of a single US gateway that comes close to approaching true equivalency. It's undeniable that Narita has been eclipsed by several newer Asian super hubs over the years. Japan Airlines has had to endure serious financial challenges that have greatly reduced their route network. Additional changes in traffic patterns, aircraft ranges, routing treaties, and the growth of Haneda have all served to lessen future demand at NRT. As if that wasn't enough resource draining factors such as the Tohoku earthquake and the resulting Fukushima meltdown have made building yet another me-too Asian super hub a rather distant and largely unnecessary goal at this point.

I guess NRT did meet my basic needs, I was able to use the United Club to take a shower and have a cold glass of beer, but once I made it over to terminal 2 where my flight on Japan Airlines was departing I only found a couple of shops and one restaurant the Miso Bar where I was able to eat a small meal and enjoy more cold beer. I just was disappointed it didn't leave a strong impression on me, Japan is supposed to have one of the most vibrant cultures in the world, but their airport had no signs of it. No murals or displays of their long rich history just grey walls and a few adds for Nissan and Hitachi. I guess yes it was functional and provided all the services an air traveler could need, but it could have done it with a little more style.

Int'l airports I don't know.

Narita had reasonably priced food, with no long waits, compared to PHX or DEN.

Shops - I will never care. (well the insanely overpriced places at LAX gave amusement.)

Narita -- OK - got in and and out no hassles. Got some supposedly wasabe-flavored kit-kats to dispose of coin.

I do wish that NRT had a shop to buy a fitted Yomuri Giants (Japanese Baseball) cap. Walked the entirety of the airport and was not able to locate one.

I guess NRT did meet my basic needs, I was able to use the United Club to take a shower and have a cold glass of beer, but once I made it over to terminal 2 where my flight on Japan Airlines was departing I only found a couple of shops and one restaurant the Miso Bar where I was able to eat a small meal and enjoy more cold beer. I just was disappointed it didn't leave a strong impression on me, Japan is supposed to have one of the most vibrant cultures in the world, but their airport had no signs of it. No murals or displays of their long rich history just grey walls and a few adds for Nissan and Hitachi. I guess yes it was functional and provided all the services an air traveler could need, but it could have done it with a little more style.
Some might be surprised to read all of this, the expectation that an airport should be the place where to experience the respective country's "vibrant culture" and for the airport to have "murals or displays of their long rich history" on the walls, and might think that the above example with Newark was a good one, after all Newark Airport doesn't have "murals or displays of their long rich history" on its walls. Some might think it's similar to a New York visitor not going to Times Square, not going to Broadway and the 1,000s of other interesting places, instead just staying at Newark Airport and then being disappointed that one didn't get to experience the "vibrant culture" that the place is supposed to have, but instead just a lot of different shades of dark white, grey and beige. Many might think just like Newark Airport is a place where people travel, Narita International Airport would be a place where people travel, and possibly not the Japan Pavillion of Epcot. ;)

Here the wish goes out to all Japan travelers that they'll enjoy their time in this wonderful country. :)

Right -- bugger all that - as long as the airport gets me to where I'm going.

Narita is not as inconvenient as Dulles, for example. But inconvenient.

But - the food is reasonable, the ground connections are not very good -- like many many places.

I'm sorry but -- as expected

country's "vibrant culture" and for the airport to have "murals or displays of their long rich history"

Yeah - seen that some places -- even MSP -- worthless.

What I want in an airport is -- get me on my way quick -- please -- thank your very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "New" Austin Airport ( old Bergstrom AFB), has a couple of uniquely Local features in that all of the food and drink vendors @ the airport are Austin based, not chains, and live music playing in several of the pubs/ drinking establishments and on stages spread out in the concourse!

Also local artists have their creations for sale and there are very informative info boards about Austin and Central Texas throughout the Airport!☺

The bad news is that all of the food and drink and music is on the gate side of the Concourse requiring you to run the Blue Shirt/ G e s t a p o guantelet for access, so only ticketed passengers can actually patronize them! Visitors and those picking up passengers are SOL!!

Wow I didn't think my expectations were that out there. Even msp has some signs of culture imho with some of the light fixtures having antlers if I'm not mistaken. Most of these larger asian airports do have indications of their culture. Although I'm currently sitting here in the airport in Hanoi and even here there is a cultural display even if the rest of the terminal is drab.

1408105508503.jpg

Well my precious 20 hours are ticking away. Just about 2am here local time, had a good evening riding some of the JR lines and a couple pieces of the Tokyo Metro. Kind of hard to find a bite to eat late night here in the train station where I am staying. Tokyo Station is so much larger then I would have guessed. It feels A LOT like NYP to me just way way busier. I walked around the station for almost 2 hours just to get try and reach every possible corner of the place. The hotel here is really wonderful, I am looking forward to seeing all of the shops open in the day time. The waves and waves of people didn't stop when walking around at around 11pm it felt like it could have been 8:30AM in NYP. I can't imagine what the rush will look like tomorrow.

A couple of quick and poorly focused cell phone snaps.

20140827_195310.jpg

20140827_212144.jpg

Happy to hear the 20 hours in Japan ended up good after all (at least so far).

Well my precious 20 hours are ticking away. Just about 2am here local time, had a good evening riding some of the JR lines and a couple pieces of the Tokyo Metro. Kind of hard to find a bite to eat late night here in the train station where I am staying. Tokyo Station is so much larger then I would have guessed. It feels A LOT like NYP to me just way way busier. I walked around the station for almost 2 hours just to get try and reach every possible corner of the place. The hotel here is really wonderful, I am looking forward to seeing all of the shops open in the day time. The waves and waves of people didn't stop when walking around at around 11pm it felt like it could have been 8:30AM in NYP. I can't imagine what the rush will look like tomorrow.
According to official numbers, New York Penn Station has about 650,000 daily users, while the JR East part of Tokyo station is used by just above 400,000 a day - and how much JR Central's Tokaido Shinkansen and the Marunouchi Line of Tokyo metro will add to that is not known to me...

JR claims about 3901000/ day on the tokaido shinkansen - but that's total riders, not just riders from Tokyo Station

Any way you look at it Tokyo station is an amazing and confusing place to be.

But real good for culture &

Thank you very much for your reply.

JR claims about 3901000/ day on the tokaido shinkansen - but that's total riders, not just riders from Tokyo Station
Just found more numbers (not knowing how current or reliable they are), it says that about 140,000 use the Tokyo metro at that Tokyo Station every day, and about 92,000 use JR Central services at Tokyo Station, so 400,000+140,000+92,000 equals 632,000 users a day, which would be pretty similar to the number above cited for New York Penn Station.

Any way you look at it Tokyo station is an amazing [...] place to be.
Many might think, that it is really beneficial that all this rail infrastructure was built, with all these rail services operating now.

Some might think, no matter if it's about New York's Penn Station, or about Tokyo Station, if all these hundreds of thousands of travelers used their own private car instead, how much more congested would the cities and roads be, and how much more pollution would be generated, so many walkable and transit-oriented places would probably not exist then if everything was just planned around the automobile, how big would the economic and non-economic loss be because of even more delays, time lost in traffic jams, health effects etc. So some might think it is appropriate to value and appreciate all the investments and efforts that led to all the benefits that can be enjoyed by use of today's rail infrastructure and services, also for society as a whole.

At the same time, some might think one aspect especially impressive about Tokyo Station, are the high-speed rail services offered there - which might seem especially exceptional when mentioning New York's Penn Station as well. There are so many Shinkansen services at Tokyo Station, offering a fast, frequent and reliable connection to many other cities. It is because the elected representatives of the voting Japanese public made the decisions to make the necessary investments in rail. New York Penn Station also has its current rail services, which is a great achievement in itself. Plans have been made public to create rail infrastructure and rail services similar to the Shinkansen in Japan with The Amtrak Vision for the Northeast Corridor - 2012 Update Report. In order to connect New York with Washington D.C. in 94 minutes, with Boston in 94 minutes, with Philadelphia in 37 minutes and Philadelphia with Washington D.C. in 54 minutes, as well as increase capacity for more and improved commuter rail and conventional inter-city services, annual funding between $2 and $10 billion would be necessary for a time span of about 24 years, according to that plan. While an average of $6 billion annually would just equal 0.15% of the total federal annual expenditures of about $3.9 trillion, and while the USA is the wealthiest country on the planet, it is possible that the elected representatives of the voting American public will not make the decision to make the necessary investments in rail according to that plan, for the nation's most populated region. Some might think that while enthusiasts with the necessary budget will always still be able to go to Japan to experience fast, frequent and reliable rail services, it might be unfortunate for the American population if it was to miss out on the benefits of a similar rail system, and instead would have to put up with the resulting economic loss and non-economic disadvantages.

Interestingly though, Tokyo Station is not even the largest station in Tokyo. That distinction goes to Shinjuku both for JRE (ex-JNR) and also everything taken together.

Also, I am not sure what they mean by "boarding passengers" All that they can count is how many people went through the turnstiles for the suburban service, since most riders are using something like SUICA. So passengers who are merely connecting from one train to another without passing a turnstile, are probably not part of the count, and that number can be quite large in and of itself. As I recall the single turnstile protected area is quite vast in Tokyo Station and even includes lines like the Keiyo Line towards Chiba, which is a block and a half away through a pedestrian tunnel. Of course there is a second set of turnstiles one has to pass to get to the Shinkansen station, which can be passed only with a Shinkansen ticket.

But even compared to Tokyo Station, Shinjuku is in a different league altogether! There were a couple of week long trips when I stayed at the Hilton around there and commuted to work in Shimbashi. It was quite an experience.

But the business trips that I enjoyed most were centered around Yokohama which seems to have quite a bit of character of its own.

Interestingly though, Tokyo Station is not even the largest station in Tokyo. That distinction goes to Shinjuku both for JRE (ex-JNR) and also everything taken together.

Also, I am not sure what they mean by "boarding passengers" All that they can count is how many people went through the turnstiles for the suburban service, since most riders are using something like SUICA. So passengers who are merely connecting from one train to another without passing a turnstile, are probably not part of the count, and that number can be quite large in and of itself. As I recall the single turnstile protected area is quite vast in Tokyo Station and even includes lines like the Keiyo Line towards Chiba, which is a block and a half away through a pedestrian tunnel. Of course there is a second set of turnstiles one has to pass to get to the Shinkansen station, which can be passed only with a Shinkansen ticket.

But even compared to Tokyo Station, Shinjuku is in a different league altogether! There were a couple of week long trips when I stayed at the Hilton around there and commuted to work in Shimbashi. It was quite an experience.

But the business trips that I enjoyed most were centered around Yokohama which seems to have quite a bit of character of its own.
SUICA or PASMO (seems interchangeable to this foreigner) wins ! )

Yokohama has it's Chinatown (really good food!) -- but seems like a totally different place from Tokyo.

The big 5 train stations in Tokyo are amazing (and confusing if you manage to get outside and want in again)

Tokyo, Shinjuku, Ueno, Shinagawa, Ikebukuro.

Good food anywhere near any of them (and anywhere else) -- try the takomaki at the food floor at any department store at any of the main stations. Or the "Shopping street" near Ueno.

A week was too little time -- hope your 20 hours go well.

I still sometimes, while riding my local light rail, imagine that the recorded message will say

"The next station is "Ikebukuro" ikebukuro. The doors on the right side will open. transfer here to "many many many""

Hey LTR, any updates on day 2? Did you get to ride rhe Shinkansen?

Yes, the aurports (and train stations) can be quite drab. Narita is a utilitarian 60s design built in the 70s. Haneda is even older. Train stations aren't much better, but after JR took over in the late 80s, they've at least tried to keep them refurbished.

Back