2 Roomettes or 1 Bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

happy2meetu

Train Attendant
My wife and I are going on the California Zephyr from Chicago to San Francisco this fall. We have not been on a long distance train before but know we will love it and we are looking forward to it greatly. We at first looked at bedrooms because of the toilet and shower and the ability to loo at the hallway window to improve our views. Since then, we have now thought that perhaps 2 roomettes across from one another would actually give a bit more room and still give us a window on each side of the train and cost slightly less than a bedroom. Of course we would then give up the in room facilities and have to use the public toilets and shower. We are not the types that will stalk seats in the observation car if it is very crowded.

My question for all those experienced riders is whether the 2 roomette idea is better than just a single bedroom? Also any other advise is greatly appreciated.

I recommend two roomettes across groom each other. This train has great scenery on both sides. Departing Denver you want to be on the right side and after Granby you want to be on the left.

I agree, two roomettes across from each other are better and often cheaper than a bedroom. You have access to both sides of the train, and you both have lowers. The advantages to the bedroom is the lower is a better bed in the bedroom, and your very own potty. The upper in the bedroom is the same, BTW.

I would go for the 2 roomettes.

True, you lose the in room toilet and shower, but many (even I in a bedroom) use the public shower room instead. (I never used the one In the room, not wanting the water on the floor or toilet. Also, the public shower has more room.) And with 2 roomettes, you both have lower berths! (No climbing!)

Last edited by a moderator:
We enjoy having 2 roomettes across from each other. If one wants to nap or read and the other

wants to listen to music or crunch nachos...

one thing to consider... the rooms are very very small.

A Roomette really isn't a room at all... it's 2 seats facing each other and a wall. A Bedroom at least resembles a room.

That being said, I always travel solo in a roomette and enjoy it very much.

The Zephyr is my favorite train... be sure to spend some time in the Lounge too... the views really are great from there. I've found that people get excited about getting a seat the first morning leaving Denver... but once you get to Granby or so, people are "tired" of the scenery (!?!?) and head back to the coaches. Plenty of room in the lounge for Glenwood Canyon, Ruby Canyon, etc. Alot of people act like the lounge is packed the entire trip... I've never had that much of an issue getting a seat, sometimes it's crowded, so I stand somewhere until someone leaves. Or I go buy a coffee and check again. I'll sit in any open seat... the views are great no matter where you are.

I agree, the seating in the observation car on the Zephyr really isn't a problem. Just be flexible and friendly. You and your spouse may not be seated next to each other, but that is OK - you will be joined at the hip for much of the rest of your journey. And, as was pointed out above, standing is fine also. You can see even more when standing - both sides of the car. And standing is refreshing on the train after all the other time spent sitting.

I can't ever recall standing for more than 10 or 15 minutes before a single seat opened up somewhere.

With the bedroom, yes you have more space, but seeing out the window in the hallway is not easy, where you both can change roomettes based on which side has the best views. I never used the shower in the bedroom due to water all over the bathroom and no space to move around. Cost of a bedroom is generally more than twice a roomette.

Thank you all for the help. We are even more excited about our upcoming trip now. We will spend some time in the observation car I am sure. We want to experience all the train has to offer. We also thought having two roomettes would allow a bit more luggage to be brought into the room as well. Should we double what we would normally tip to the attendant because we have 2 rooms?

My spouse and I booked the handicapped room due to his disability and another roomette for me on the lower level. That level has a nice big shower and three restrooms . You can get to roomettes across from each other on the lower level and also be near the luggage rack in car and easy access to the outside at stops. Very quiet.

My spouse and I are also taking our first trip on the California Zephyr in a few months, and went through the same dilemma. We decided on two roomettes, for the reasons everyone has listed above - especially the fact that the bathroom in the bedroom is REALLY small. I much prefer using the regular shower and toilet rather than the mini-phone booth in the bedroom, aside from the "wet bath" issues.

Also, as lonestar648 said, watching out the aisle window in a bedroom is not easy. You're basically looking straight sideways, and the view isn't nearly as good as when you're right up against the window. With two roomettes, we're not really concerned about going to the Sightseer Lounge to watch the scenery - we'll just switch sides to the other roomette. Amtrak made it really easy to make reservations too - I expected to have to jump through a lot of hoops, talk to a supervisor, etc. to get roomettes across from each other, but the agent handled it without issue. I've had a much more difficult time getting airline agents to give us adjoining seats.

As to the luggage - there's a large and fairly secure luggage space downstairs in each car. While it's theoretically possible to steal luggage from that area, I've never heard of that happening and I think most people on this forum would leave their luggage there without hesitation. This is especially true if you have upstairs roomettes, where you'd have to drag your luggage up a very narrow staircase with some tight corners. And when you got your luggage to the roomettes (or bedrooms, for that matter), there really isn't any space big enough for full-sized suitcases, & they'd just be in your way all the time. You could just set them on the seats (if you have two roomettes, that's four good seats for only two people), but that would make it difficult to sit in the same roomette if you want to see the scenery out one side of the train.

On the positive side, each roomette has two steps that lead to the upper bunk. Each step is about the right size for a small / medium size piece of carry-on luggage. If you have two roomettes then you won't need those stairs (since no one will be sleeping in the upper bunk) and those steps make a good place to store a carry-on bag. You can also slide a carry-on under your seat (which is fine during the day but impossible to get to at night). If I were you I'd plan on leaving any big suitcases in the luggage area and bring smaller bags into your roomettes.

I place my airline roller bag either on its side on the step (fits snuggly), or if on a Superliner II without the closet, my roller bag fits in the hang bag area and the strap is just long enough to go around it. I hand my backpack from one of the hooks in the room, if I have a daughter or granddaughter along, their bag goes either on my bag or on the step, their backpack at their feet sitting or in the bed. this is both of us in one room and we do not feel cramped. I do leave my roller bag downstairs in the luggage shelves on some trips, if my arthritis pain prevents me from carrying it up. I do always travel with a TSA lock on the bag, but this habit is from flying, not fear of stealing on the train.

Tipping is strictly voluntary, but as a general rule, many of us tip the SCA $x per night per person. Thus if 2 people are in a bedroom, the tip would be 2 x $x. If you have 2 roomettes with 1 person in each, the tip would be 2 x $x. They are both the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back