2 Party Roomette Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Railfan83

Train Attendant
Okay, I am in the process of planning a trip with myself and some friends. We are coming from two different places and planning on meeting in CHI to take the Empire Builder to SEA and back. My question is that I am traveling alone while they will have 2 adults and 2 children. On the Trip out the Family Bedroom is already reserved, would it be possible for two adults and small child to be in one roomette, while an adult and the other child share a roomette? So really it would be 5 people in two roomettes.

Okay, well I just tried putting in one bedroom with 4 passengers and it told me that accomodations could not be made that way. Would one of the adults/kids need to be on my reservation in order to do what I was trying to do?

This is my first time trying to plan two different trips and with Sleepers involved. Sorry for all the questions, but I guess that is what this forum is for.

Last edited by a moderator:
no theres no room. maybe get a bedroom instead.
The bedroom only accepts 2 adults, or are you refering to room (space) in general?
room(space).
In the night time mode it may or may not be a problem depending on the size of the individuals involved. However, in day time mode I would think it would considerably reduce the comfort level by seating 3 people in 2 seats unless two are really small or super skinny!

You may have to call the 800 number and see if you can do it. Sometimes yes...sometimes no.

no theres no room. maybe get a bedroom instead.
The bedroom only accepts 2 adults, or are you refering to room (space) in general?
room(space).
In the night time mode it may or may not be a problem depending on the size of the individuals involved. However, in day time mode I would think it would considerably reduce the comfort level by seating 3 people in 2 seats unless two are really small or super skinny!
One of the children is 5 so he is small. This would be their first trip on the train and I would like a travel companion, I know I could make friends on the train, but it is always nice to have others that you know. So I am helping them plan the trip and pricing while trying to make the accomodations work for both parties. I wouldn't imagine that it would be a problem with one of them sharing a roomette with me if they book one right?

You may have to call the 800 number and see if you can do it. Sometimes yes...sometimes no.

It is looking like I may have to call the 800 number. Or book the three of them and place the 4th on my reservation.

Railfan,

No matter what you will not be able to price this out online, the online system will not allow 3 people into any room, other than a family room.

Now that said, at one time Amtrak did allow 3 people in a roomette, provided that one of them was a small child. That usually meant under 5. I'm not sure if that policy still stands, I've heard conflicting reports of late. I do know that it is possible to put 3 people into a bedroom, the larger of the rooms. But the only way to accomplish any of this is to call or visit a station.

After too many people booking three into a sleeping compartment and then complaining about the lack of space, Amtrak no longer allows online bookings. Any time an agent agrees to override the normal rule of 2 in a room, he/she will give you fair warning that Amtrak does not recommend this, as it can be tight.

So again, you should definately be able to get three into a bedroom, may be able to get three into a roomette (but I won't promise that), and you'll have to call or visit a station to accomplish either.

If you do manage to get 3 in a roomette, your reservation [iIRC] will only come with two meals!
While true, I would suggest using the two included meals for the two adults, and simply buy the child a low cost "kids meal".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back