2 or 3 Zone Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TopCity

Hello All

I am taking a trip from Topeka, Ks to Hattiesburg, Ms and would like to know if this is a two or three zone trip, I know I have the central zone and the eastern zone, but then it comes back into the central zone, do the count the central zone twice, thanks for the help.

Jim

In my experience every time you cross a zone boundry it's considered an additional zone according to AGR. And sometimes you can end up being charged for three zones even if you only cross a single zone boundry according to my more recent calls. Then again I only call two or three times per trip before I give up and not twenty or thirty times like some folks apparently do.

I believe it would be 2 if you go via WAS or CVS. However, if from CHI you take the CONO to NOL and stay overnight, and take the Crescent the next morning - it is only 1 zone! :excl:
Of course, in my experience, most agents won't book that itinerary because their computer doesn't give it to them.

I've never had as consistently bad experience as Texas Sunset has. I'd give a 30% chance of the listed itineraries (through Washington or Charlottesville) as being quoted as a 3-zone award, a 60% chance of being a 2-zone award, and a 10% chance of being a 1-zone award. Or maybe 35-60-5. Try your luck and let us know the result.

Last edited by a moderator:
I called them tonight and I was told that it was a 2 zone trip, I should have booked it then, but with my luck the next person will tell me 3 lol

I just booked a trip from MSP to DEN via Portland, two zones, this is the only way they would let me go. I tried via CHI, I said I would pay the motel, they said NO. Tried a second call, all the same.

It may be booked as a one zone trip.... I was booked for a one zone trip this fall even though I crossed the border and came back. I think it matters on if your routing makes sense or not... and also who your agent is. ha.

Well, I booked the trip and it was a two zone trip, the lady told me, since it was the only way that came up on the computer, it would be a two zone trip, but will drive to Jackson Ms to catch the CONO to come back home for one zone, also wanted to thank you guys for the help, I learned just keep calling back, and you may get lucky and get a good deal

Does AGR *ever* count an overnight stay as just a layover (not requiring an additional AGR redemption) instead of a stopover? I keep seeing it mentioned (as in post #2 above), but was told wb CZ to sb CS requires an additional redemption because it involves an overnight stay. Thanks!

Does AGR *ever* count an overnight stay as just a layover (not requiring an additional AGR redemption) instead of a stopover? I keep seeing it mentioned (as in post #2 above), but was told wb CZ to sb CS requires an additional redemption because it involves an overnight stay. Thanks!
AGR has allowed me to book same zone overnight "transfers" of less than 24 hours if I was taking the next train out to my destination. In 2012 I transferred from the SWC to the Empire builder in CHI with the overnight on me, of course. The agent took awhile too figure out the " less than 24 hours and next train out guidelines" with his service call desk.

It's not just a matter of the overnight. It's a matter of, is that the only option? If you're taking the SB CS to LA, then there are other same day options that do get you to LA from the CZ. So that will always fail.

The only exception is Crescent to Sunset, and that is because ARROW has it as a connection. You can do DC to LA via New Orleans and book that, instead of, say, via Chicago and Albuquerque.

You'll note that when you try to book, say Denver to Santa Barbara or Paso Robles, they will send you on the "Night Coast" bus which makes all Starlight stops from Emeryville to Santa Barbara.

AGR has allowed me to book same zone overnight "transfers" of less than 24 hours if I was taking the next train out to my destination. In 2012 I transferred from the SWC to the Empire builder in CHI with the overnight on me, of course. The agent took awhile too figure out the " less than 24 hours and next train out guidelines" with his service call desk.
I've tried at least a half dozen times over the years to do this very thing, an overnight layover in Chicago on my own dime between two western trains, and every time I was refused. Why my experience is like Trainut's and not like yours is one of those mysteries of AGR.

I just booked a trip from MSP to DEN via Portland, two zones, this is the only way they would let me go. I tried via CHI, I said I would pay the motel, they said NO. Tried a second call, all the same.
Thanks for pointing out those city pairs to me, I called in and managed to book it for the one zone price. I'm really doing Denver - Chicago, but this way I get a few extra trains in :)

Wait, so AGR will legally allow you to do the overnight (hotel on your dime) connection between the Sunset Limited and the Crescent? If so, I'm totally saving up for a trip involving this, and calling the recent trip to DC a missed opportunity of sorts.

Back