2 months till booking

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smee

Train Attendant
Yes, I'm a bit eager, but in 2 months I'll be choosing my vacation for the summer of 2012. My excursion will be a cross country trip from NYC-L.A. I plan on taking the following route, PENN-Cap Limited-Empire Builder-Coast Starlight. I'll be booking roomettes for the trip and would prefer to be on the north side of the train, don't need the sun beating on my room all day.

My question is how can I reserve the room on the side of the train I want and what numbers are on that side? I also wanted to know if I should pack a full size suitcase and rotate clothes in/out of it when I change trains.

Thank you all for your input and help and I'm sure I'll have other questions as time goes on.

My question is how can I reserve the room on the side of the train I want and what numbers are on that side?
Not possible - cars are put into a consist in whatever direction there is facing, so there is no way of knowing what side of the train you'll be on until you get there.
I also wanted to know if I should pack a full size suitcase and rotate clothes in/out of it when I change trains.
This is a great plan - keep the small bag with you and check the big bag.

Yes, I'm a bit eager, but in 2 months I'll be choosing my vacation for the summer of 2012. My excursion will be a cross country trip from NYC-L.A. I plan on taking the following route, PENN-Cap Limited-Empire Builder-Coast Starlight. I'll be booking roomettes for the trip and would prefer to be on the north side of the train, don't need the sun beating on my room all day.

My question is how can I reserve the room on the side of the train I want and what numbers are on that side? I also wanted to know if I should pack a full size suitcase and rotate clothes in/out of it when I change trains.

Thank you all for your input and help and I'm sure I'll have other questions as time goes on.
Sleeping cars can be oriented either way, so there is no way of knowing on which side of the car a specific room will located. If you check bags, you will not have access to those bags en route or at connecting stations. Anything you need on the train must be in your carry-on bag or bags. You will have Superliner sleepers all the way, and those cars have luggage storage on the lower level, so feel free to bring on a decent size suitcase if needed. You could take a small bag to your room and make exchanges with your larger stored bag as needed.

I might suggest using the Capitol Limited from Washington (with a Regional connection from NYC) rather than the combination of the Pennsylvanian and the Cap. Using the Cap from WAS will get you in your room early, will get you a real dinner in the Cap dining car, and will avoid the multi-hour layover in Pittsburgh with zero amenities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleeping cars can be oriented either way, so there is no way of knowing on which side of the car a specific room will located. If you check bags, you will not have access to those bags en route or at connecting stations. Anything you need on the train must be in your carry-on bag or bags. You will have Superliner sleepers all the way, and those cars have luggage storage on the lower level, so feel free to bring on a decent size suitcase if needed. You could take a small bag to your room and make exchanges with your larger stored bag as needed.

I might suggest using the Capitol Limited from Washington (with a Regional connection from NYC) rather than the combination of the Pennsylvanian and the Cap. Using the Cap from WAS will get you in your room early, will get you a real dinner in the Cap dining car, and will avoid the multi-hour layover in Pittsburgh with zero amenities.
So a moderate sized bag and a smaller bag would be the best bet then. I'm already trying to figure out what I'm bringing and how I'm going to pack it. I'll also be taking the bus from Union station to LAX to pick up my rental car in L.A. since the train gets in after the car rental place closes. I don't want to have to carry many bags. All this planning for a trip that is 9-10 months away. ;-)

So a moderate sized bag and a smaller bag would be the best bet then. I'm already trying to figure out what I'm bringing and how I'm going to pack it. I'll also be taking the bus from Union station to LAX to pick up my rental car in L.A. since the train gets in after the car rental place closes. I don't want to have to carry many bags. All this planning for a trip that is 9-10 months away. ;-)
You are probably aware that the earlier you book a sleeper you get a much lower rate.

From LAX (the train station) to LAX (the airport), use the FlyAway bus. It runs nonstop from Union Station to the airport, 24 hours a day!
smile.gif

You are probably aware that the earlier you book a sleeper you get a much lower rate.
I won't know what weeks I'll be on vacation till the end of Oct. or so. It can vary from the first week in June to the middle of July.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back