1st trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lowell

Taking first trip in a couple weeks, City of New Orleans.

Couple questions...

Amtrak site mentions luggage left longer than 2 days gets storage

charges added. I infer from this that it's ok to leave the luggage

at the station for a day, and pick it up the next day after arrival.

So far, so good?

Conversly, can you take the luggage to the station and check it in

a day before departure?

Also, I've seen conflicting info on electric outlets available at coach seats.

What might we expect? These should be the double deckers.

Thanks,

Lowell

Lowell said:
Amtrak site mentions luggage left longer than 2 days gets storagecharges added.  I infer from this that it's ok to leave the luggage

at the station for a day, and pick it up the next day after arrival.

So far, so good?
I guess that would work, although I never tried it. I also must confess that I'm a little curious as to why you wouldn't want your luggage upon arrival. :unsure:

Lowell said:
Conversly, can you take the luggage to the station and check it ina day before departure?
I rather doubt that they would accept it a day early, but again I've never tired it either. They do typically want to see your ticket(s), prior to checking luggage, partly for security & partly to make sure that you aren't using Amtrak for free shipping. So I suspect that they would not take the bag(s) a day early, but you can always ask. My guess however is that the answer would be no, for security reasons.

Lowell said:
Also, I've seen conflicting info on electric outlets available at coach seats.What might we expect?  These should be the double deckers.
If you're riding in only Superliners, then the odds are not in your favor to find electrical outlets at your seat. A simple search on the forums here, should turn up the locations of the few outlets within a Superliner coach. You could then ask and hope that you'll be assigned to one of those seats, but don't bet on it.

You can always recharge things in the cafe car however.

Approximately seats 19 and 55, on most Superliner coaches, will have the electrical outlets (may be forward or back one row depending on which way the car is facing). However, sometimes the positioning of the seats actually makes the plugs inaccessible.

There is a very small number of Superliners that have outlets at every seat. I've only ever seen about three of them (don't recall the numbers offhand), so don't count on getting one of those. If you do, consider yourself lucky.

Back