1st trip--last minute questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dkersey

Okay, my first Amtrak trip is coming up on Sunday with 6 senior girls on a spring break trip! We are so excited! I have a couple of last minute questions here....

If we all bring a personal sized cooler, does that count as a carry on? I sure hope not.

Also, I have 2 students that are not going with us now because they dropped out of school in the last few weeks. How do I get their tickets refunded? Can I just get this taken care of once we board the train? I was told I would get all but $30 of the fare back.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as the days get closer!

This site is great! Thanks so much for all of your information.

dkersey said:
If we all bring a personal sized cooler, does that count as a carry on? I sure hope not.
I would expect it to count towards your total carry-on luggage. Hopefully though you'll get a conductor who will let you slide.

dkersey said:
Also, I have 2 students that are not going with us now because they dropped out of school in the last few weeks.  How do I get their tickets refunded?  Can I just get this taken care of once we board the train?  I was told I would get all but $30 of the fare back.
You cannot do that on board the train. It must be done before hand inside the station at a ticket window. You could also do it at your destination, again at a ticket window. Finally, you can mail the tickets to Amtrak for a refund.

Have a great trip! :)

I am leaving from a pickup only, no ticket window (Walnut Ridge, AR). So once I arrive at Union Station in Chicago there will probably be a ticket window and I can take care of the matter then, correct?

dkersey said:
I am leaving from a pickup only, no ticket window (Walnut Ridge, AR). So once I arrive at Union Station in Chicago there will probably be a ticket window and I can take care of the matter then, correct?
Yup, that will work. :)

Back