1993 Sunset Limited derailment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the Genesis was trailing not lead locomotive. So it was the Genesis that when head first into the mud. The amount of kinetic energy dissipated is frightening

Last edited:
No the genesis was leading. 4 people in the cab, new equipment orientation. One of our members was supposed to be on this run for the engine orientation, but decided to not to ride due to all available seats in the cab were filled. He not currently active, probably moved on to the next plane of existence. 😢

34040, 39973, 38030 and 32067 were returned to service.

34040 was wrecked in Boise ID (Pioneer) 2/95. It was repaired using funds from American Recovery and Reimbursement Act (TIGER grant), and put back in active roster in Jan 2011. It is currently active.

39973 became Pacific Parlour Car and since has been retired. Sold to DALT Nov/18

38030 apparently suffered heat damage on train 59 in Sledge MS on 4/23/07. It may have been subsequently put back in service. It has been stored dead since Sep/20.

32067 Currently active

That is all I could dig out from Dave Warner's journal on OTOL and Dan Ainsworth's Superliner page.
So there was only one sleeper on the train? Why?

So there was only one sleeper on the train? Why?
Is that rhetorical question or are expecting an answer from some decision maker in 1993?😉
I don't but I'm sure I could probably find it somewhere. Right now I'm working on the dispositions of all of the Heritage Era HEP cars. I started with baggage cars which is why I had that so easily accessible.
Have you looked at Warner’s book I mentioned above? It could save you a lot of work.

Some videos of the cars returned to service in action

The sleeper is shown in this video (shot by one of our members I believe):

The dining car in this video:

the coach car in this video: (some dents visible, possibly from the accident or the Boise incident)

The Parlour Car is featured here at 5:49: And here before the accident:

Some videos of the cars returned to service in action

The sleeper is shown in this video (shot by one of our members I believe):

The dining car in this video:

the coach car in this video: (some dents visible, possibly from the accident or the Boise incident)

The Parlour Car is featured here at 5:49: And here before the accident:

I just want to say that I very much appreciate everyone's help here in finding sources needed for my essay. Thank you so much.

Do you know if it was the standard? Or just a one-time thing for whatever reason.
My best recollection from having been a passenger in the sleeper the week before the accident and being interested in the return of rail service NOL-MIA in general was there was initially (starting April, 1993) only ONE sleeper that made the entire cross country LAX-MIA trip. Although there were other sleepers on the Sunset Ltd., they, I think, travelled only LAX-NOL. I do not know or recall the rest of of the consists protocol (thru equipment LAX-MIA or just LAX-NOL???????)

My best recollection from having been a passenger in the sleeper the week before the accident and being interested in the return of rail service NOL-MIA in general was there was initially (starting April, 1993) only ONE sleeper that made the entire cross country LAX-MIA trip. Although there were other sleepers on the Sunset Ltd., they, I think, travelled only LAX-NOL. I do not know or recall the rest of of the consists protocol (thru equipment LAX-MIA or just LAX-NOL???????)
My recollection also is that some number of cars were added in NOL heading west, though I have no recollection what those cars were.

Is that rhetorical question or are expecting an answer from some decision maker in 1993?😉

Have you looked at Warner’s book I mentioned above? It could save you a lot of work.

I've not heard of it. Do you have a link to it. I would like to purchase it. Granted I enjoy the research part as it fills my days when I have nothing to do.

When I rode the SL from MIA-LAX in its inaugural year of 1993, there was only one sleeper, but crew members told us that they expected another would be added the following year. Nine years later I rode the SL again, which had been since 1998 an ORL-LAX train, and there were two sleepers. Not sure when the second finally made it on.

Back