1 Zone Coast Starlight to Pacific Surfliner Train Connection

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inspiration100

Lead Service Attendant
I know you have to book the route that comes on on the Amtrak site for a 1 zone redemption.

However, a connection between the starlight and the surfliner puts you into San Diego at 1 AM in the morning (no fun since my hotel would be on Coronado). Is it possible to do the Coast Starlight, spend a night in LA, and connect in the morning? If so, how do you go about doing that?

Thanks.

You're not going to be able to book it online if a connection is required. You'll need to call it in.

Unless it's around a holiday period, the Surfliner segment should be unreserved. I'd think you could use it later, as long as it's not a blackout date. The one thing you'd need to make sure of is that any checked luggage would need to go to LAX if you need it then. Not sure if you could have checked luggage go to SAN and pick it up the next day.

It's not going to cost any more points, even if you can't use the LAX-SAN segment.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're not going to be able to book it online if a connection is required. You'll need to call it in.

Unless it's around a holiday period, the Surfliner segment should be unreserved. I'd think you could use it later, as long as it's not a blackout date. The one thing you'd need to make sure of is that any checked luggage would need to go to LAX if you need it then. Not sure if you could have checked luggage go to SAN and pick it up the next day.

It's not going to cost any more points, even if you can't use the LAX-SAN segment.
Thanks, this is what I'm hoping. Can anyone else confirm it is unreserved and can be used later? I don't need to check any bags, so that's not a problem.

I suppose another possibility would be to take the Coast Starlight to another station close to a hotel, then take the Surfliner from there to San Diego in the morning. You'd probably need to pay for that ticket or use 1500 points.

I believe the only AGR connection would be at LA Union Station.

Yes, the Surfliner is unreserved in coach, except around certain holiday periods. You will get a ticket for a train, but it can be used for any train within 1 year. However, if you're going BC it is reserved! You will get a ticket showing a specific train and date - you MUST use it only for that specific train! (If you redeem an award on the CS for a sleeper, you will receive BC on the Surfliner.)

Yes, the Surfliner is unreserved in coach, except around certain holiday periods. You will get a ticket for a train, but it can be used for any train within 1 year. However, if you're going BC it is reserved! You will get a ticket showing a specific train and date - you MUST use it only for that specific train! (If you redeem an award on the CS for a sleeper, you will receive BC on the Surfliner.)
Looking at the current AGR terms, it seems that it's possible to request a later train for the connection provided it's the same calendar day. Probably not an option for this connection since it's the last Surfliner of the day.

If you go sleeper, is to possible to request a non BC ticket (be downgraded by AGR for this portion)? This is a major goofy connection.

Is it safe to assume that this trick wouldn't work in reverse? That is, if I book an award ticket for the Pacific Surfliner followed by Coast Starlight, could I do the Pacific Surfliner leg a few days earlier?

Is it safe to assume that this trick wouldn't work in reverse? That is, if I book an award ticket for the Pacific Surfliner followed by Coast Starlight, could I do the Pacific Surfliner leg a few days earlier?
I'm curious. I haven't tried it myself. Theoretically an "unreserved" train segment can be used early or late, but subject to whatever blackout conditions are attached to that fare. For instance, I can buy a ticket with a discount code, but that may include advance purchase requirements or come with specific validity or blackout dates. I couldn't buy a two day advanced purchase ticket on Capitol Corridor and then use it the next day. I could probably buy one way in advance and use it two days later.

I'm not sure if there are additional conditions when it's an award ticket.

Unreserved seats can be used day of on an earlier train or up to one year after the date on the ticket.

For better or worse, this conundrum will disappear with the AGR changes in January. While it's certainly nice to essentially tack on a free leg to/from San Diego if you're redeeming a Coast Starlight award, the limitations under the current system make it an undesirable add-on if you're just out for a joy ride.

For better or worse, this conundrum will disappear with the AGR changes in January. While it's certainly nice to essentially tack on a free leg to/from San Diego if you're redeeming a Coast Starlight award, the limitations under the current system make it an undesirable add-on if you're just out for a joy ride.
There's still somewhat of a discount for booking with a connection vs separately. I tried SEA-SAN for tomorrow and got $164. SEA-LAX and LAX-SAN were $149 and $37. Multicity got the same fare although I made it a next day connection.

You didn't say where your trip is starting. You could start from MTZ or SAC and take the San Joaquin and the bus from Bakersfield to LAX to catch an earlier Surfliner to SAN
The OP's info says "Seattle, WA". At least as a regular booking, there is only a single routing that comes up, and that's a connection at LA Union Station.

Back