Massive delays out of Chicago Union Station today (2/28)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is hard to tell exactly what happened with enough certainty to actually know what to make of all this. It depends of how many things got fried when the alleged circuit board was dislodged, and how easy or hard is it to replace them, and how easy or hard it was to bypass them.

One would imagine that such a critical component would have redundancy of some sort to work with, but stories of poorly designed redundancy are all over the place, including routing all three redundant hydraulic lines through the same conduit on a plane that brought the DC-10 down in Chicago and the THY crash in Paris. Usually most of such bad designs result from attempts to save money, unless just plain incompetence is involved. It is all about risk mitigation anyway, since nothing can be made completely fail safe. Mr. Murphy is always alive. You can only make the failure vectors, at least the known ones, very very unlikely. Of course the unknown ones are still out there.

I doubt we will ever know in enough detail what exactly happened and what components were exactly in which cabinet and how their power and other external connections were routed, for us to even do credible Monday morning quarter-backing.

Having run part of an IT center in Bell Labs where we were introducing then new technologies like distributed work stations over the first commercial twisted pair Ethernet and very early fiber channels, using redundant servers and connectivity, in an operational telephony environment, I have some idea about how these things go. Mostly quite well. Sometimes not so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding getting home on Thursday:

1. A friend who lives in Westmont got home no problem via Metra other than late.

2. My colleague in Bartlett also got home no issues via Metra. 

Both left at typical commuting hours, so other than some residual delays and crowded, people mostly managed to get home OK.

cpotisch said:
Yesterday's blood bath still having a cascading effect on today?
Actually, I got an answer regarding the Empire Builder.  Direct quote from the conductor: "2 cars and 1 engine had to be switched out."

Yesterday's blood bath still having a cascading effect on today?
Friday train ooerations were normal on Friday.  My Thursday evening commuter train got me home fine running about 45 minutes late.  Chicago Friday newspapers had a few good articles about what happened. 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-amtrak-metra-union-station-switching-problem-20190301-story.html

Some of the best news word smithing on this was from a radio reporter who played with the concept of a worker who, quite literally, "crashed" the system.

Back