Equipment Order in the works this year (2018)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if I remember correctly Anderson has capped capacity on trains on the NEC. So no more shrinking and growing with needs. So with that in mind there is another precedent for EMU/DMUs.

I might add the Statler Flirts in use in Europe are actually perfectly good trains. And they would probably fit in well on the NEC.
The major head scratcher with FLIRTs is figuring out a good way to handle high platforms. Even the higher floors over the trucks/bogies don’t seem to be nearly high enough. The double decker KISS manages with the middle level at the ends (Caltrain and Russia).

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
Stadler is building both EMUs and a Bi-Mode Multiple Unit version of the Flirt for Abellio Greater Anglia in the UK, with high level boarding at 36 inches (915 mm) while the standard in the US is 48 inches (1,219 mm), so Stadler would have some experience with adapting the Flirt for high level platforms.

Let me ask a technical question that I figure a few folks can answer. Would a change/waiver in (present) regulation be required to allow high voltage from the cat to be trainline distributed, so as to avoid the multiple pan operation that some people have mentioned in EMU set-ups?
I don't know, but I lean toward not thinking so. I'm pretty sure that high voltage cables are allowed between semi-permanently coupled cars in a married pair, like the A and B cars of an M8 as it looks from every pic I can find that M8 pairs run with only one pan up per pair. I can't see why a 6-car train would be significantly different.

Because married pairs share equipment and resources between the cars of the pair, they are a single unit. Six cars would be 3 units, 3 pans. It's sort of the type of thing a Dutchrailnut or JIS is likely to have a definitive answer to.

I'm guessing any DMUs would look something like the British Class 222 or Class 800/802.
r3514_hitachi-at300-for-woe_coast_20150320_hires-_1_.jpg

I find it interesting the Hitachi 800 can run under cantenary and diesel operation, the same set. Tailor made for the NEC and splinter operations. DMU may not be so crazy after all. I have my doubts running this rail crossings across America though.

Does Hitachi have a US factory?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if I remember correctly Anderson has capped capacity on trains on the NEC. So no more shrinking and growing with needs. So with that in mind there is another precedent for EMU/DMUs.

I might add the Statler Flirts in use in Europe are actually perfectly good trains. And they would probably fit in well on the NEC.
The major head scratcher with FLIRTs is figuring out a good way to handle high platforms. Even the higher floors over the trucks/bogies don’t seem to be nearly high enough. The double decker KISS manages with the middle level at the ends (Caltrain and Russia).

Stadler is building both EMUs and a Bi-Mode Multiple Unit version of the Flirt for Abellio Greater Anglia in the UK, with high level boarding at 36 inches (915 mm) while the standard in the US is 48 inches (1,219 mm), so Stadler would have some experience with adapting the Flirt for high level platforms.
I’m not saying it can’t be done for a price. However, a platform height of four feet is higher than the end raised platform on a typical current FLIRT at around 44” to 46”. https://wwwstadlerrailcom-live-01e96f7.s3-eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/filer_public/1c/11/1c116727-4cdc-4adc-b34e-cf9d7bed1d1b/f3vd0716e.pdf and https://wwwstadlerrailcom-live-01e96f7.s3-eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/filer_public/f8/54/f8545b2a-4d48-463b-a994-5921cf0fa0ac/f3nsreiz0715e.pdf . The FLIRT UK is a special model and not a typical continental FLIRT. The interior mock-up of the Greater Anglia train does indicate that only a short ramp is needed between levels indicating a raised center floor compared to the typical FLIRT.

. So a FLIRT NEC (to coin a term) could possibly be another design modification with an end to end flat floor at 48” and other modifications. Stadler modified the FLIRT into a low floor high speed train as the SMILE. So given time and money they can certainly pull it off.

Interestingly, the Hitachi 800 Class are poorer performers in real life, than the old and trusted HST125s! They demonstrably cannot maintain the schedules that the HST125s have no problem maintaining! So just because it is distributed power DMU does not make it a better performer necessarily.

Interestingly, the Hitachi 800 Class are poorer performers in real life, than the old and trusted HST125s! They demonstrably cannot maintain the schedules that the HST125s have no problem maintaining! So just because it is distributed power DMU does not make it a better performer necessarily.
So it is all about tractive effort per pound of equipment

So it is all about tractive effort per pound of equipment
Yeah and I am sure a few other things too. Nothing in Engineering is all about just one thing. Something that I have learned in a 40 year career as an Engineer of sorts, not of the locmotive driving kind.

How that tractive effort is applied matters a great deal. Applying it all into one axle will behave somewhat differently than it will distributed across a few dozen axles.
And the weight on said axles to provide sufficient adhesion. The shape of the wheel tire and flange relative to the shape of the rail head, and on and on....

The 800s where dogs, fortunately it was learned early, so there won't be many of those in service. The 802 (which most operators are getting) is an updated version that has more diesel engines so they can keep the schedules. I've heard the 802s are much better.

Alstom, Kawasaki, and Siemens will put up good bids for these new coaches!

I don't see a contract being awarded this year, though, and the new coaches will probably be financed by a RRIF Loan.

The 800s where dogs, fortunately it was learned early, so there won't be many of those in service. The 802 (which most operators are getting) is an updated version that has more diesel engines so they can keep the schedules. I've heard the 802s are much better.
The 750hp derated engines on the Class 800s are apparently being rerated to the same 940hp as the 802s. They are the same engines on both classes. The lower rating was certainly tied to the assumption that the Class 800s would be under catenary for a higher percentage of the time, but they are running a lot on diesel. A lower rating typically increases engine life, reduces breakdowns... Fundamentally, it is probably the cutback in electrification of many lines in the UK that is the main culprit.

There was a time when a lot of so called through and sectional carriages were shuffled among trains. That is not done any more. Where sections of the same train head to different locations, entire consists are hived off. In general most trains run in pretty much fixed consists. So the flexibility of individual cars has become more or less irrelevant. Removing cars to handle servicing needs or fixing defects is the only remaining issue, and most railroads are choosing to improve overall reliability of equipment by using more sophisticated maintenance methodologies so that they can use the easier to manage fixed consists to provide service. At least that is the trend in the really heavy passenger rail usage countries. I think Anderson is looking at those. I have no idea what will actually happen in the US where of course we all know that even the Laws of Physics are exceptionally different
default_biggrin.png
Of course, trains split and join and add and drop cars all the time in Europe, still... but those which do this also have fully automatic couplers. It makes it much quicker and more straightforward. I don't think anyone would do it if they had to do the futzing about with hoses which Amtrak currently does.

If I were buying new EMU equipment... well, you get the idea.

(3) My read, possibly overly optimistic, is that Anderson is going to go in front of Congress and basically say "Look, I'm overstretched on LD equipment as it is. You're telling me to restore the Sunset East, among other things [1], I need a massive overhaul of the Superliners [2], and as it stands my Western trains are too short and my pricing model is a complete disaster area [3].
Note regarding the pricing model.

I have noticed repeatedly that at many times the cost of a room from Chicago to the West Coast is less than that of a room from Chicago to Syracuse, let alone New York. I've seen the same for coach.

This doesn't actually surprise me. What it does do is point out that some trains are substantially less able to command high prices than others. Despite this, the LSL tends to be more full in the off season than the CZ.

https://www.railpassengers.org/happening-now/news/hotline/hotline-1068/

1. New locomotives are coming, wants them quickly, most likely Chargers. But can't see Chargers on Autotrain.

2. Wants more info about different single level equipment and DMUs.

3. Superliners are worn out, will not be refurbished. Last time a manufacture took a shot at bilevels it did not turn out too well.

Wants all equipment soon.

Since I honestly do not know, what is the largest reason the Auto Train would not be capable of being pulled by a Charger? Is it the braking system? It can't be tractive power, since a Charger has the Genesis beat squarely in that department.

Good news, but the post title is very restrictive. The link to the report is much more positively wide-ranging than new equipment. Only one example: the long distance routes are not in immediate danger of being eliminated.

It will be interesting to see what the plan is to replace the superlliners. IMHO a system wide fleet standardization wounded beneficial. I like the viewliners but I don't think that will work I'm the long run. I wonder what Seimans can do for sleepers and diners and lounges?

It will be interesting to see what the plan is to replace the superlliners. IMHO a system wide fleet standardization wounded beneficial. I like the viewliners but I don't think that will work I'm the long run. I wonder what Seimans can do for sleepers and diners and lounges?
I was thinking standardization too. Though I would not want to see it, but VLIIs on western trains is a possibility.

Yeah, I don't see any way, short term or long term, that Viewliners would work to replace the Superliners. The trains would have to be significantly longer, they would have to commission Viewliner coaches and SSLs. The cars just aren't conducive for western routes.

I read on train orders that CAF may not be allowed to participate. I think the viewliner sleepers and diners and those car shells also being used for long distance coaches would be the best IMHO. A single level sightseer lounge with double windows would be ok.

A single level sightseer lounge with double windows would be ok.
True, however I think they'd probably have need to add a second row of windows and some seats across from where the kitchen currently is, since that's currently just an aisle with one row of windows. I bet they'd also want to open up and shrink the kitchen area bit for easier use as a snack bar, as well as to increase lounge space.

The OP didn't say Chargers couldn't be used on the Auto Train, he said he couldn't see it. It was an opinion, not a fact.

I personally think the Superliners were a genius idea. Their high capacity is very practical. Some kind of next generation of bi-level equipment would be the best idea for those routes that can handle the height. Now we just have to find a car builder that can actually make one.

I personally feel like Siemens would make a good Superliner successor. And Amtrak has already got Chargers, Sprinters, and soon some Siemens single-levels. I feel like there's something to be said for having one manufacturer for most of the fleet. That could just be me, though.

Back