Greyhound seats and fleet questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great news for GLI...I suppose they will all be X3's...

It says that, that is the largest single order in Prevost history....that may be, but I recall when Greyhound Lines would buy that many coaches in just one year.....(sigh)

In light of that news above, DL-3, and G fans....better ride 'em while you can...the handwriting is on the wall....and I don't think GLI is expanding their fleet, just updating it.....

Yes, they are all X3-45s. Glad to say I recently got a ride on #6498. ;) Perhaps I'll make some lemonade...

Railiner, want to meet in NYC?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to understand axle ratios more. With a Series 60/B500, what's the absolute best axle ratio for fuel economy, performance notwithstanding?
If there was a single best answer to that question, bus manufacturers wouldn't have to offer a selection of axle ratios. While I'm no automotive engineer, I would presume that they take the curves of fuel consumption vs. horsepower and match it up with the anticipated normal operating speed (usually 65 mph, but used to be 55 mph, and could possibly increase in the future) and the grades on which the bus is to be driven...it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have great economy on the flat if you serve Colorado and your buses will spend a lot of time lugging their way up mountain grades with fuel economy in the tank (pardon the pun).

I am not sure the manufacturer's offer optional axle ratio's, but if they do, the lower gear (higher numerically), gives more power; and the higher gear (lower numerically), gives better economy...

Doing a New Orleans - Atlanta local, Atlanta-Orlando express, Orlando-Baton Rouge local, and a BTR-N.O commuter run over the course of next week. If anyone's interested I'll post a report and/or some updates!

It's an itch I have to scratch every couple of years. The last long haul on the Dog I took was in 2015, N.O to Miami, the direct bus that originates in Houston.

Got another 4505 on Gainesville-Baton Rouge. Slightly better seating but not great. Then got a Prevost on the BTR-NOLA run. The seats were cloth on that one...or maybe like a cloth/leather mix. Not bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I'm old school so I think I liked the G the best. But I didn't really care for it until it got remodeled. After that, probably the Prevost, and the D4500.

Have to go back to Baton Rouge today so I'm curious as to what I'll get.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Back