Is Spokane a good place to air a service dog?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryK

Lead Service Attendant
Are the two sections of the Empire Builder at Spokane handled in such a way that a service dog team can safely get off there either westbound or eastbound? (Yes, this is for the book discussed in the Crescent service-dog thread.) Is there anything to be wary about other than getting on the right westbound train?

Google Earth Pro shows large patches of grass and trees both west and east of the station building.

I just looked at google maps satellite and this does look possible. The station is on the north side of the tracks. The grassy areas that are easiest to get to are north of the station on each side of a side walk. There are plenty of trees and bushes for a dog to enjoy doing the business.

Things to be aware of:

1. The tracks are on an embankment so you have to use an elevator or stairs to get to ground level and enter the station.

2. Once you have left the platform you may not be allowed back to the train until the switching is completed. For this reason you should keep your ticket with you.

3. Your car will be in a different location after the switching is completed. Possibly on different tracks. For example on the westbound after switching the Portland section might be in a different platform than the Seattle section.

Hope this helps.

As said, there is a lot of grass and a lot of trees and bushes that a dog can enjoy on three of the four sides of the building. The parking lot is right outside the door to the north so there will be a lot of hubcaps as well. :lol: There are stairs, elevators, and escalators to go from platform level into the station and outside. Westbound the Seattle section leaves before the Portland section. The switching process doesn't take too long, usually just a few minutes. Spokane is my jumping off place for most of my Amtrak adventures and it has been my experience that passengers for both sections are able to come and go as they please to and from the platform during the lengthy stop. Passengers with service dogs should have no problem in Spokane other than as you say making sure you get back on the right section. That and not sleeping through the stop. :)

Unless the train arrives early the Seattle section leaves fairly quickly. The lead locomotive is uncoupled and set out on a siding, the PDX section uncoupled, a brake check and away they go with the #2 loco now in the lead. The Portland section takes a little longer (at least 30 minutes when I have been awake for it), The locomotive brought back from the siding and coupled to the train with electrical and air connections.

Eastbound there can be a delay if one section is running late. Then the early section gets to sit (and sometimes sit and sit and sit).

I wonder if there's a pooper scooper ordinance in effect at Spokane. :ph34r:
I believe there is. ;) One thing to beware of if your dog is examining the grassy areas and the trees and bushes around the parking area is the automatic sprinkler system. The sprinklers have a nasty habit of turning on when you least expect it. I myself have had my legs drenched many times. If your dog is watering the grass he may be watered back. :lol:

As far as when the Seattle portion leaves, if the train is late they don't waste much time. Spokane is a service stop, but the scheduled 35 or so minute stop may be cut short in the event of a late train. In that case I'd ask Amtrak personnel about how long the stop will be.

Thanks to everyone for their answers . . . especially the one on the automatic sprinkler system!

Back