Chicago Union Station ~ Is Boston Blackies still a place to go?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 6862

Engineer
Looking through 5 year old threads for eateries within a 10-15 minutes walk of CUS, Boston Blackies is heavily recommended for lunch, is that still the case?

We come in on the LSL and leave same day on the EB so have 2-3 hours to find lunch and for another walk around Chicago. Last year we visited Lou Mitchells which suited us very well, but want to try somewhere new as we don't get to CHI too often.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I still go to Boston Blackies occasionally for a burger. I prefer Dylan's (one block to the west on Clinton Ave). A great deal more variety on the lunch menu. Enjoy !!

Spoilt for choice. As they are so close we'll decide on the day which one appeals most.

Thanks chaps, all good info.

ps: does anyone know where is the nearest to CUS to buy fresh fruit, don't remember CVS selling fresh food but could be wrong.

Spoilt for choice. As they are so close we'll decide on the day which one appeals most.

Thanks chaps, all good info.

ps: does anyone know where is the nearest to CUS to buy fresh fruit, don't remember CVS selling fresh food but could be wrong.
If you have time, check out the French Market.

http://frenchmarketchicago.com

This establishment is my choice to eat during Amtrak layovers. It is no more than a 10 minute walk. They get a large lunch crowd from the local businesses. Go around 11:30 AM to fight the crowd or after 1:00 PM.

Thanks Sarah, just what we're looking for and an easy walk.

Dovecote, which place is that?

It works just fine when I click it.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1470161949.613693.jpg
Works now for me. Must have been down earlier today.

Link worked for me too and reading through it made me hungry. :( Next time I'm in Chicago I'll have to check it out.

While you've gotten some recommendations here, don't neglect Me_Little_Me's hint regarding Trip Advisor. It shows here are about 40 restaurants in the 9 city block area surrounding Union Station with a total of over 1,000 reviews. Many of them even have their menus posted online.

[was going to post the Trip Advisor map showing the restaurants, but the image posting feature of this site seems to be belly-up (U.S. slang for "dead")]

Allow me to also nominate Chicago French Market. I've been there many times and my favorites are Lillie's, a bbq joint with great pulled pork and mac and cheese, and Saigon Sisters, which serves Vietnamese dishes. If you want a little sweet to finish things off, there is a bakery called Vanille. All their offerings look amazing; I've only tried the brownie myself, which is so rich you could probably split one between two people and still be sated. I'm fairly sure there is a place within the Market to buy fresh produce as well.

Depending on the day you arrive in Chicago, you might be able to get straight-from-the-farm fresh produce at one of the city's Farmers' Markets in the Loop. On Tuesdays, there's a Market at Federal Plaza, on the southwest corner of Adams and Dearborn, about .5 mile due east of Union Station. On Thursdays, there's a Market at Daley Plaza, on the northeast corner of Clark and Washington, which is about .7 mile east and north of Union Station.

If basic, no-frills produce is OK with you, there is a small WalMart in the Presidential Towers complex, northeast corner of Monroe and Jefferson, just a couple of blocks from the station.

Hope that helps.

Edit - Just looked at the Chicago French Market website, and you can get produce there, at a place called City Fresh Market. Also, there is also a Farmers' Market on Thursdays at Sears Tower (Willis Tower, whatever), which is just over the river. Not sure where on the property it's held, but the only open plaza space is on the south end of the building, along Jackson.

niemi24s, haven't ignored me_liitle-me's advice, just haven't commented on it. But do have to say that we always prefer personal recommendations over unknown ones, and there appear to be plenty of members from AU who eat close to Union Station. Thanks for the thought.

MisterUptempo, that's another whole lot of advice, thank you too.

Problem is as most know we will have at best 3 hours of free time between trains and we are on vacation, so there isn't time to do more than eat and walk for maybe an hour at best unless we rush around, and hurrying isn't what we want from a vacation.

Did see Heritage Green Park on the map just a block and a half away down W Adams St, may end up there for 15 minutes or so before returning to CUS for boarding.

Allow me to also nominate Chicago French Market. I've been there many times and my favorites are Lillie's, a bbq joint with great pulled pork and mac and cheese, and Saigon Sisters, which serves Vietnamese dishes. If you want a little sweet to finish things off, there is a bakery called Vanille. All their offerings look amazing; I've only tried the brownie myself, which is so rich you could probably split one between two people and still be sated. I'm fairly sure there is a place within the Market to buy fresh produce as well.
There are lots of places, though I can't speak to prices.

I enjoyed wandering around. There is a sweet shop (I can't think of the name) that had the most beautiful little truffles and bite-sized desserts. It's on the end of a row and has a large, glass display case. I couldn't decide what to buy and ended up leaving with nothing.

I'm not sure if it was Vanille. I tried looking up pictures online.

There are lots of places, though I can't speak to prices.

I enjoyed wandering around. There is a sweet shop (I can't think of the name) that had the most beautiful little truffles and bite-sized desserts. It's on the end of a row and has a large, glass display case. I couldn't decide what to buy and ended up leaving with nothing.

I'm not sure if it was Vanille. I tried looking up pictures online.
Yep. Pretty sure we are talking about the same place. It's located on the very end, near the concourse entrance. And yes, glass cases loaded with pastries, macaroons, and petit fours. Lillie's and Saigon Sisters are both just up that aisle a short distance, one to the left and one to the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back