Questions on Amsnag Accuracy

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must start this post with a big thank you for Paul for designing and sharing this valuable resoruce with us. I've used it several times to check availability and price but lately the info provided doesn't always seem accurate and I would like to know what I am doing wrong

On Aug 16, 2106 I checked the price of a CL trip from CHI to WAS. and the bedroom cost was $246 on Amsnag.

When I went to the Amtrak site the cost was $626 for the same trip. In short some of the price info is correct but some is hard to understand. Can anyone tell me why Amsnag listed a $246 price while the Amtrak price is $646???

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC on AmSnag be careful if you’re pricing a sleeper space. It seems to me one had to add a coach fare for every person in a Roomette or Bedroom. An example on AmSnag; coach fare is $100; a Roomette charge is $150. For 2 people in a Roomette that would be (2 X $100) + $150 = $350 total fare.

See if this calculation works out.

This isn't the first time this question has come up. I've added a footnote explaining it.

I have another question about Amsnag. Every time I click on the date, which used to open the Amtrak reservation page, I get this.

It used to work for me before they redesigned their website , but not anymore. Anyone else having this problem?

image.png

IIRC on AmSnag be careful if you’re pricing a sleeper space. It seems to me one had to add a coach fare for every person in a Roomette or Bedroom. An example on AmSnag; coach fare is $100; a Roomette charge is $150. For 2 people in a Roomette that would be (2 X $100) + $150 = $350 total fare.

See if this calculation works out.
More than that, when I saw price discrepancy, I found I had to add the "flexible" fare rather than the "value" fare to make the numbers add up to a roomette. Now that Amtrak has bundled room charges with the rail fare and added "flexible" fare and "value" to replace "coach", it might be better if Paul could satisfy another "whine" to his great work and follow Amtrak's pricing.

More than that, when I saw price discrepancy, I found I had to add the "flexible" fare rather than the "value" fare to make the numbers add up to a roomette. Now that Amtrak has bundled room charges with the rail fare and added "flexible" fare and "value" to replace "coach", it might be better if Paul could satisfy another "whine" to his great work and follow Amtrak's pricing.
Unless Amtrak has changed it policy. the total charge is based on the low bucket rail fare. I thought flexible is what we would call high bucket.

As far as your whine is concerned, I'd love to do it; but it seems to be above my pay grade. Perhaps a JS guru might contact me privately.

Paul - I believe if you add rel="noreferrer" to the link, it will stop the problem.

jb
Thanks for the tip. I added the attribute. But there are indications that not all browsers support the feature, including Firefox. I've never experienced what Ronbo did; or if I did, it was only temporary and I believed what it said.

Note: what you get is the old fare display format. Once you submit the page, the new format is returned.

Paul- whatever you did, that link works fine for me now! Just to let you know, if it helps or not, I connect using Safari on an iPad over my AT&T cellular connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back