The next few years

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long time hadn't heard anything about the Wolverine route upgrades. But the Detroit News on June 14 had a story re adding PTC there.

"Michigan Department of Transportation rail chief Tim Hoeffner said ... The state will have [PTC] on 135 miles of track between Dearborn and Kalamazoo that are undergoing upgrades to be completed in late 2016 or early 2017."

This doesn't change anything, but confirms the status.

"... the busy rail corridor between Porter, Indiana and Chicago's Union Station [is] one of the nation's most congested rail corridors ... Hoeffner said.

"The state is partnering with Indiana and Illinois and the Federal Railroad Administration on an environmental study for a preferred passenger route through the area.

"The study, whose completion is due in a few months [the website says "this summer"], is a step toward applying for federal grant money. Hoeffner said the state hopes for federal approval of its study and [those] suggested improvements by spring 2016."

So planning on South of the Lake is moving pretty much on schedule, but then it will need a Billion or Two. Of course this project falls beyond the time frame of this list, but Hoeffner reinforces the forecast for "Michigan track work 2017". Even if they finished the track work in late 2016, they probably won't get enuff new diesels or bi-level cars to start the faster service before 2017.

I don't see an entry for Illinois' Billion bucks upgrades of the Lincoln Service route St Louis-Chicago. Probably the same schedule as the Michigan upgrades: 2017.

Remember that Illinois opened a very short 110-mph segment a year or two back. More a photo opportunity than a real thing, but there it is. So they probably could raise the speed here or there incrementally. But unless otherwise announced, I'm assuming it will go to 110 mph operation all at once (and after they receive enuff bi-levels and diesels), to maximize the publicity.

Missouri will also be getting the new equipment, which could cut some minutes from the River Runner schedule. It also got Stimulus money for a handful of small projects, but aren't they already finished? Not sure. Really no news at all lately about that route.

I don't know what the status is in Illinois with regards to the service expansions. A google search shows that the state legislature ignored the Governor and fully funded the $42 million for the Amtrak operating subsidy for the next fiscal year, but that Rauner and the legislature are still fighting over the budget.
The agencies suspended work until the budget fight was settled. Once it's finished, assuming the funding is still present, they will presumably resume work... with everything delayed by 6 months or more from the previous schedule. :p Which is why they all dropped into "no scheduled date" portion of my list.
This budget chaos in Illinois has also adversely affected bid letting on a major road widening project (desperately needed) in Moline, too. Idiots....

Dearborn station still not fully open. The Crossing to Henry Ford still closed since Henry Ford hasn't made an entrance there.
Is the second (south) track and platform in service yet? When I was there a couple months ago, only the station-side platform and track were in service.
No, only the station side platform is used. They have the bridge closed until the henry ford opens an entrance.

I wonder if I should email The Henry Ford and ask them when their plans are to open the entrance. I've been meaning to visit there by train, but I'm simply not going to do it until they open their new entrance.

I don't see an entry for Illinois' Billion bucks upgrades of the Lincoln Service route St Louis-Chicago. Probably the same schedule as the Michigan upgrades: 2017.
I've seen no sign that any of the money spent so far will actually upgrade service at all, and there are no target dates, so I just left it off the list. And that was before Governor Rauner threw a wrench in everything. :p If Illinois ever gets a little clearer on what they're doing, I'll put it back into the list.

This is a maintenance facility, but its completion will expand Downeaster service frequencies to Brunswick. However, the NIMBYs have not yet given up, so start of construction may still get delayed even longer.

Portland Press Herald: Downeaster layover facility in Brunswick gets final permit

State regulators have awarded the last remaining permit needed for construction to start on a $12.7 million layover facility for Amtrak trains in Brunswick.

The Maine Department of Environmental Protection on Tuesday approved the stormwater management plan submitted by the Northern New England Passenger Rail Authority. The stormwater plan had received preliminary approval about two weeks ago.

Regulators concluded that existing berms, ditches and adjacent railroad tracks would prevent significant amounts of stormwater runoff from flowing toward abutters, and that the groundwater at the site generally flows toward a nearby stream and not to an adjacent neighborhood.

However, the group that represents the neighborhood said Tuesday it plans to appeal the decision.

Remember that Illinois opened a very short 110-mph segment a year or two back. More a photo opportunity than a real thing, but there it is. So they probably could raise the speed here or there incrementally. But unless otherwise announced, I'm assuming it will go to 110 mph operation all at once (and after they receive enuff bi-levels and diesels), to maximize the publicity.

Missouri will also be getting the new equipment, which could cut some minutes from the River Runner schedule. It also got Stimulus money for a handful of small projects, but aren't they already finished? Not sure. Really no news at all lately about that route.
The work in MIssouri finished in 2013 with the completion of the new Osage River bridge. http://www.modot.org/othertransportation/rail/documents/OsageRiverGrandOpeningre15.pdf

Saw this news a few days ago that the state of Massachusetts will be providing an additional $12 million to complete the upgrade of the Springfield station. Prigressive Railroading: Massachusetts Gov. Baker pledges $12 million for Springfield station. If I am reading between the lines correctly, the cost of the SPG station project has gone up, so the state is stepping in to provide enough funds to complete the station rebuild in 2016. This would almost certainly fall outside of the window of the "next few years", but with the state contributing significant funds to complete the SPG station project, the next step once the studies are complete, would be for MassDOT to reach an agreement with CSX and fund Worcester to SPG track upgrades for multiple daily BOS to SPG trains, whether they be Inland Route Regional, maybe a couple of daily New Haven to SPG to BOS trains, and/or a BOS to MTR train.

The plan is to eventually double track the ROW between Worcester and Springfield, as it used to be. The NEC route is maxed out because of drawbridge restrictions; ie., the maximum number of trains is being run right now there.

At last, the work is underway for the 3rd track and high level platforms at the Kingston RI station. The funding was awarded in May, 2011 so it took only 4 years to complete the design, get the approvals, and award the contract! :rolleyes:

Progressive Railroading: Amtrak, Rhode Island kick off construction of high-speed rail project at Kingston Station.

The Rhode Island Department of Transportation (RIDOT) and Amtrak have begun a $41 million construction project at the station in South Kingstown to prepare for high-speed rail service.

The project involves construction of a third track at the Kingston Station, as well as of two high-level platforms to provide passengers with disabilities full access to the trains. Layout of the third track will enable Amtrak trains stopping at the station to come off the main line, while high-speed Acela trains bypass them, state officials said in a press release.

After the preliminary work is completed, Amtrak will begin construction on the track and overhead wires. Final completion is slated for summer 2017.
Providence Journal article from June 29 on the kick-off ceremony: RI officials kick off high-speed rail project in South Kingstown which has a scattering of typical anti-rail postings in the comments section.

Saw this news a few days ago that the state of Massachusetts will be providing an additional $12 million to complete the upgrade of the Springfield station. Prigressive Railroading: Massachusetts Gov. Baker pledges $12 million for Springfield station. If I am reading between the lines correctly, the cost of the SPG station project has gone up, so the state is stepping in to provide enough funds to complete the station rebuild in 2016.
Springfield's been an incredible shaggy dog story. Every time they start work they discover something which makes it more expensive or complicated than expected. The renovation plans started in 1989! At the time I hoped they'd be done by roughly 1994!
I still haven't seen platform designs. They *ought* to have full-high platforms everywhere, two full freight main bypasses without platforms, and a pull-off track north of the northern main track (with a full-high) next to the station building for the westbound Lake Shore Limited. There is *plenty* of room. But I don't know if they're planning to do it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Springfield's been an incredible shaggy dog story. Every time they start work they discover something which makes it more expensive or complicated than expected. The renovation plans started in 1989! At the time I hoped they'd be done by roughly 1994!

I still haven't seen platform designs. They *ought* to have full-high platforms everywhere, two full freight main bypasses without platforms, and a pull-off track north of the northern main track (with a full-high) next to the station building for the westbound Lake Shore Limited. There is *plenty* of room. But I don't know if they're planning to do it right.
Rebuild SPG station by 1994, 2016, no biggie, only a couple of decades late...
As for the platforms, the rendering down the page on the Springfield Redevelopment Corporation Union Station project website shows at least 2 high level platforms. With the tracks and space available in light of the plans for returning SPG into a hub station, would make sense to build at least 2 long HLPs serving 3 or 4 tracks. The details should be available in a EIS somewhere.

I was wondering about the status of the various eastern Keystone station projects, found this recent June 23 news article on the Middletown PA station. Which is another station project that got stalled. New train station: Everyone still 'on board,' PennDOT says. Excerpt:

The long-anticipated new train station in Middletown could be open by early 2018 under an updated timetable that the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation presented to Middletown Borough Councils planning committee on Wednesday, June 17.

Besides the station, PennDOT would also build the proposed extension of Emaus Street and a pedestrian bridge over Route 230 that would connect Penn State Harrisburg to the new station, according to Jennie Granger, director of PennDOTs Bureau of Aviation.

She expects construction of the station to begin in early 2016. The work would take 12 to 18 months to complete. Granger uses the two-year time-frame to be on the safe side.

Granger also cautioned that the timetable is dependent upon the track work that must be done by Amtrak and Norfolk Southern.

My wild card is Amtrak, Granger told the committee. They know this project is coming. They have worked on our design reviews. They have been intimately involved in review meetings on the station and on track work agreements.
So, construction could start in early 2016 - or slip again because Amtrak track crews are busy elsewhere.

I was wondering whatever happened to the plan to build a new intermodal station in Charleston, SC. There were plans to build a station at a new location, but that fell through and the project was back to the current location in North Charleston. I did a Google search and it turns out that they are indeed working towards building a new North Charleston Regional Intermodal Transportation Facility with Amtrak and local bus hub service at the location of the current station. The schedule is for the new facility to be completed in February, 2017. So add another improved station to the 2017 list.

Charleston website for the intermodal station project with renderings and links to recent viewgraph presentations.

To get the cost down the proposed size of the station was reduced from 32K sq ft to 14K sq ft along with the number of parking spaces. Still has a long term parking lot. Link to a May, 2015 presentation to a local council.

There is a rendering of the platform down the main page and it appears that at least part of the platform is to be mini-high? Not clear though. The overhead renderings show a 900+ foot long platform.

So did any of this get done in 2015?

2015:

"spring": hotel power at Albany-Rensselaer

July: Blaine WA Customs Siding.

"August": Holyoke MA supposed to start service

"October": 4th platform track, platform lengthenings, & track rearrangement at Albany-Rensselaer supposed to be done

December: Durham to Morrisville NC double track

December 31: PTC deadline -- Amtrak, BNSF, Metrolink, SEPTA, NJT, expect to meet deadline

"before PTC implementation": SEPTA/CSX separation project on West Trenton Line should be completed

"end of": permanent Northampton and Greenfield MA platforms

Hopson Road, Nelson to Clegg (NC)

Vermonter schedule supposed to become faster

Birmingham AL station supposed to open

Van Nuys-Chatworth double track supposed to start

Van Nuys second platform supposed to open

ACS-64 deliveries supposed to finish

Point Defiance Bypass supposed to start construction

Tacoma Trestle supposed to start construction

Raleigh Union Station supposed to start construction

Seattle King St. Station track improvements (next phase) supposed to start construction

(Kansas City Streetcar opens connecting to KC Union Station)

(Expo Line Phase II opens in LA connecting Santa Monica indirectly to LA Union Station)

(Toronto airport train opens)
* Holyoke station opened.

* Blaine customs siding is open.

* the Toronto Airport train is open.

* it looks like SEPTA/CSX separation on the West Trenton Line has happened, though I'm not sure.

EVERYTHING else seems to be delayed! And not to any particular date, either, just delayed.

Did they ever get hotel power at Albany-Rensselaer?

Metrolink and SEPTA supposedly are meeting PTC deadline. Amtrak is meeting it on the NEC but not on the Empire Corridor. NJT is not.

ACS64 deliveries might yet finish, there is a couple or three or so more to go.

SEPTA - CSX separation appears to have been completed. SEPTA could not really claim completion of its PTC without completing the separation.

Among the unlisted. SunRail Phase IIa Sand Lake Road - Poinciana) construction is starting. And Phase III Sand Lake Road to Orlando International Airport has been approved as a candidate for FTA funding, though currently any funding for Phase IIb (Debary - Deland) or Phase III is yet to be approved.

AAF Phase I (Miami - West Palm Beach) construction is going on full swing.

Expo line to open in 1st quarter next year. Second Track Van Nuys to Chatsworth stopped for now in August by NIMBYs. Van Nuys second platrorm going to bid in January.

WSDOT claims to be on schedule as of the August/September update:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Rail/railmonthlyupdate.htm

Progress continues on Amtrak Cascades high-speed rail projects
The high-speed rail program reached a halfway point, with 10 of its 20 projects now complete. This milestone was reached with the completion of three more projects in August and September – Advanced Wayside Signal System, Mount Vernon Siding Extension, and Blaine-Swift Customs Facility. Nine more projects are in construction and the final project, King Street Station Track Upgrades, begins construction in early 2016.

All projects must be completed by spring 2017, when new service will begin for two additional daily roundtrips between Seattle and Portland, as well as improved on-time performance and reduced travel times.
Looking forward to an October-November update.

Metrolink and SEPTA supposedly are meeting PTC deadline. Amtrak is meeting it on the NEC but not on the Empire Corridor. NJT is not.

ACS64 deliveries might yet finish, there is a couple or three or so more to go.

SEPTA - CSX separation appears to have been completed. SEPTA could not really claim completion of its PTC without completing the separation.

Among the unlisted. SunRail Phase IIa Sand Lake Road - Poinciana) construction is starting. And Phase III Sand Lake Road to Orlando International Airport has been approved as a candidate for FTA funding, though currently any funding for Phase IIb (Debary - Deland) or Phase III is yet to be approved.

AAF Phase I (Miami - West Palm Beach) construction is going on full swing.
I think Empire Corridor is partly down to the state-supported situation (Amtrak is probably in a fight with NYS over billing for the upgrades) and partly down to the late transfer of half of it (the other half was an MNRR property).

SunRail: IIb is basically on indefinite hold and I suspect pressure within the Orlando area has probably forced it behind Phase III (there's apparently a lot of demand for that airport connection, and AAF coming to town cannot be helping DeLand's position in the priority list). My guess is that Phase IIa, Phase III, and a significant frequency increase on those phases all happen before Phase IIb.

Amtrak was never planning to complete the resignalling on the Empire Corridor until 2016 or 2017, due to the date of transfer of the line from CSX to Amtrak. Amtrak specifically asked to be exempted from PTC requirements for a year so that they could install PTC along with the new signalling; the blanket three-year exemption seems to make that moot, but basically the signalling seems to be on the same schedule it was before.

The track & platform work at Albany, however, appears to be delayed, and it's not clear why. I have heard that there were some drainage problems, but they shouldn't account for *this much* delay. Especially the hotel power which was supposed to be ready last spring...

SunRail: IIb is basically on indefinite hold and I suspect pressure within the Orlando area has probably forced it behind Phase III (there's apparently a lot of demand for that airport connection, and AAF coming to town cannot be helping DeLand's position in the priority list). My guess is that Phase IIa, Phase III, and a significant frequency increase on those phases all happen before Phase IIb.
The interesting thing about SunRail IIb is that there is more and more interest being shown about a SunRail Phase IV consisting of new trackage on the I-4 ROW to Daytona Beach. If that happens it would leave the extension to Deland further out in the cold, since the overall ridership to Daytona would be stupendously large than to Deland. Of course nothing has been done other than endlessly talk about the so called Phase IV.

I think that Phase III will indeed happen soon after Phase IIa. And the rest, we shall see. It will all be after the Rick Scott nightmare is over possibly, hopefully not to be replaced by a worse nightmare.

So did any of this get done in 2015?

EVERYTHING else seems to be delayed! And not to any particular date, either, just delayed.
Still have almost a month left in 2015. Maybe ask this again after January 1, although not much to be said about the projects that started in 2015. For construction projects, may be little to see for some time after it officially "starts" if the initial work is final design, getting the permits, and starting on utility relocation.
The one I'm wondering about is the Vermonter. What is the status of the track upgrades on the CT River line and cutting the trip times from the schedule? Not a lot of visibility into what the status is.

Looking ahead to 2016, I think we will see a number of improvements and upgrades finally starting to be apparent in reduced schedule trip times and more reliable services by the latter parts of 2016.

They usually do some sort of ceremony or press release when they start construction. Most of the projects which were supposed to start construction did not start construction. (Delays in design or permitting, one presumes.)

While this news is about the New Haven - Hartford - Springfield MA commuter service, the additional $155 million that CT is contributing will upgrade the corridor and benefit the Vermonter and should get one segment on the Inland Route into good shape & help to eventually restore the Inland Route Regionals to service. Perhaps even add the second NYP/NHV to Vermont and Montreal train that is in the proposed long range plans for the Vermonter route.

The New Haven to Hartford to Springfield commuter service is now scheduled to start up in January 2018. We'll see if they can keep to the new extended schedule.

Hartford Courant: Springfield-To-New Haven Commuter Rail Cost Increases, Service Begins In 2018. Excerpt:

But by May, Malloy was complaining to Amtrak that work was behind schedule and over budget — with no final cost figure in sight. That led to negotiations between Connecticut, Amtrak and the FRA; they concluded it will take an additional $135 million to finish the work.

"When we went out to do a complete inspection of every bridge and culvert, we found the line to be in very, very poor shape compared to what anybody expected," state Transportation Commissioner James Redeker said Thursday. "Amtrak has been in tough shape for years — they had no money, and based on just six round trips a day this line didn't warrant much money over the last 30 years."

Much of the difficulty in managing the project is that even though Connecticut and the FRA are paying for the work, Amtrak is controlling it. Amtrak's workers put down new track and a contractor handles culvert and signal work — but they answer to Amtrak, not the DOT or the FRA.

Redeker said Amtrak has put forward two essential promises: Construction won't go over the new budget of $570 million, and the line will be ready to go in January 2018.
Gov. Malloy press release: Gov. Malloy Announces Funding to Complete Construction of the Hartford Line Commuter Rail Service

Back