The "Bedroom" - 2 or 3 people?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Online, 2. If you phone and book with an agent, you can book 3 adults but only after they explain there are only 2 berths and you acknowledge that you know that. The Family Bedroom does have 4 berths - but only 2 are "adult sized". (The other 2 are 5 feet long or less!)

Keep in mind the lower berth is the same size as a twin size bed. It's not a double/full size mattress like a lot of people assume when they see the photos.

Daughter #3 (she's 28) is thinking about joining the wife and me on a trip to NOLA. That lower berth might be too cozy for me and the management wife.

For one overnight - it might work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actual question from a passenger: "Is that lower berth really a double bed?"

Actual answer from SCA (me): "Depends on how close your 'friendship' is."

By the way, the child beds in the family room are significantly less than 5 feet. More like 4 feet, actually. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know for sure. Somebody ought to measure them and report back to us.

Tom

We fit three in the bedroom once. Its not that bad. The 2 down on the bottom bunk must be somewhat slim and also a couple. I was told it was not bad at all. I was on the upper bunk. As mentioned above, you must call to make a three person in one bedroom reservation. BTW, if you fit three in a room, during the daytime there is absolutely no problem with seating. Still plenty of space left over. It is also a better value since for the cost of one room, your getting meals for three people without any extra charge.

Depends on whether they're adults or children.

From The Blue Book:

attachicon.gif
people in a bedroom.PNG

Edit: If you use it just for seating (not for beds,) the amount of people allowed goes up.

attachicon.gif
if no beds.PNG
How does the "seat only" work? So if I choose not to turn any of the seats into a bed and keep it in seat mode only throughout the trip, we can fit extra people in the bedroom? Or is it for like daylight only service?

I think it is considered seat only service if your ticket from point a to point b does not occur overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Depends on whether they're adults or children.

From The Blue Book:

attachicon.gif
people in a bedroom.PNG

Edit: If you use it just for seating (not for beds,) the amount of people allowed goes up.

attachicon.gif
if no beds.PNG
How does the "seat only" work? So if I choose not to turn any of the seats into a bed and keep it in seat mode only throughout the trip, we can fit extra people in the bedroom? Or is it for like daylight only service?
In daytime configuration, there is plenty of room for three...two on the "bench seat" (that converts to lower berth) and one in the chair.

Note for everything above what is general knowledge - 2 per any room (except family). TAKE the screenshots of the blue book with you with regards to the room capacities AND DINING SERVICE.

Many have lost their dining privileges that they were entitled to because they weren't familiar with the rules.

Absolutely correct.

Also worth noting: AGR now (within the last year or so) will only book awards based on the recommended capacity of a room (2 for everything but the family room), not the maximum capacity of a room. To get more than that in a room you'll have to purchase an open sleeper ticket for the third or fourth person.

Recommended capacities from amtrak.com:

Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 8.24.12 AM.png

We did 4 in a bedroom using the non-berth policy from FTW-SAS RT for New Years as we wanted to bring our own booze. They booked 2 of us in the sleeper and the other 2 as an open sleeper ticket. Wasn't too bad, but the TE dining crew would only give us 3 meals included. Had to call customer service afterwards to get a refund for the 4th meal.

I wouldn't try it overnight, but daytime it worked great. 8 in a suite would be quite a party.

If you are able to, pay the extra money and spring for a suite, two bedrooms opened up into one large suite. I have enjoyed this twice...once in 1960 on a Cleveland-to-Orlando trip, and once in 1995 from Chicago to Flagstaff, Az....both times it was the greatest treat, almost as nice a the drawing room on VIA Canada. Much space to move in, and LOTS of windows to look out of---which, after all, is much of the reason we take the train, right?

This info is good to know. My mom and I were talking about 3 of us in a bedroom and I wasn't sure if it was allowed.

>>Mom and I had a bedroom to Reno earlier this year. On the way out, I slept on the top bunk. I'm clumsy, I did fine. But! On the way back my mom suggested we both sleep on the bottom bunk. Instead of laying head to head, I flipped and layed with my head by her feet.

It worked really good. Of course you have to consider if one kicks in the night or maybe has stinky feet. :D

If you are able to, pay the extra money and spring for a suite, two bedrooms opened up into one large suite.
Do I have to call to book two bedrooms side-by-side? I assume you can't do it online because your location is not guaranteed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you should call if you want E/D or C/B. Otherwise,the computer assigns the rooms, but you may get lucky and be assigned to rooms E & D - but it may be room E in the first sleeper and room D in the second sleeper! :eek: A phone agent can chose the rooms.

Be aware that they aren't accustomed to selling many suites. I have had quite a wide range of experiences when booking one on multiple trains. The Viewliner's doors work the best (and can be opened without a key) while the Superliner's are hit and miss. On some they had the suite prepared, while others don't even have the key to unlock it. One opened the door with such force it came off the track and was stuck permanately open. She later duct taped a blanket over the opening so we could have some privacy at night. It really is a nice way to travel, and was a lot easier to do before they raised the AGR redemption rates. I think my favorite was on the EB out of PDX heading up the Columbia River while eating dinner with our travel friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back