Coach Passengers visiting Sleeper Passengers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We were on a trip where a family of 4 was traveling together. 2 in coach and 2 in a roomette. It got pretty ridiculous with them cramming 4 people into a roomette all day and demanding the attendant serve them all lunch in the roomette because they did not want to tip "those people" in the dining car.

There was a train manager on board and I asked her as I did not think coach passengers were allowed in the sleepers, just like FC on an airplane. She said it was allowed as long as they weren't causing a problem.

Felt so bad for the attendant having to deal with them and constantly being sent back to the diner because they needed more ketchup or drink refills. I bet if his boss hadn't been on board he would have sent them to the diner.

I was thinking like this. I reserved a roomette solo 6 months before traveling, so I have the lowest bucket price for the roomette. A month before I have a friend who wants to join me. I was thinking to myself, they would pay for a coach seat only, because my concern would be, would I lose the low bucket price if they added a second person to the roomette? I figure the person would be ok to stay with me, but I would pay for the second persons meal, or should I?

I don't know how it works on other routes, but I know on the Silver's, for coach you pay per person, but the roomette upgrade is per room, maximum of two people. So wouldn't this be true price wise?

1 person solo in a roomette + 1 coach person = 2 people staying in a roomette??

From people more Amtrak savvy then me advised that 1) the SCA wouldn't allow a coach passenger to stay the night in a roomette, and 2) they shouldn't resell me my roomette at the current higher bucket price just because I am adding a second passenger to my roomette, it should be the same bucket price I paid months ago.

Bruce-SSR

It works the same on all of the sleepers.

Don't buy a coach ticket for the second person, call up and add them to your reservation. They'll be charged low bucket coach for their railfare and be booked as a sleeper passenger. No fuss, no muss.

It works the same on all of the sleepers.

Don't buy a coach ticket for the second person, call up and add them to your reservation. They'll be charged low bucket coach for their railfare and be booked as a sleeper passenger. No fuss, no muss.
Thanks, that is what I was advised to do.

Bruce-SSR

People should not be meeting in sleepers for bible studies. Sleepers are for much more earthly purposes.

Dart330 ---

If the passengers were as disruptive & demanding as you suggest, then I find it reprehensible that the Supervisor did not support the SCA. The strictest interpretation is: Coach passengers in coaches, diners, and lounge cars; sleeper passengers have full access to the entire train. Exceptions can, and often should, be made. But not for passengers whose purpose in life is to make life difficult for others. The idea is to maintain a civilized environment for all.

As for the old "Give 'em the pickle" policy, current management has given that a whole new meaning.

Tom

In January, Darlean made an announcement that anyone who was caught in the sleeping car without a sleeper reservation would be kicked off the train. Reading some of the other posts here, it seems to be really up to the SCA. Personally, if I was a sleeper passenger I would not want a conga line of coach passengers in the sleeping car. We had to pay A LOT of money for that space so why turn it into another SSL? We all know how quickly on an airplane the flight attendants will kick you out of FC if your a coach passenger so why expect anything less from First Class on a train.

Another potential problem area comes up when a Local Coach is coupled on en route and those pax have to pass through a Sleeper to get to the Lounge and Diner. In one case, our SCA went back to the Coach and had a chat with those pax letting them know not to use the Restrooms or purloin the coffee when they did walk through and walk through quietly. She then told us where she stashed the juice and ice. Interestingly for the next few hours until we hit the bumper very few pax from the Coach actually ventured forward.

It seems that the argument is being overplayed, however.

Is it likely that many a sleeper is going to be turned into party central on most trips? Probably not. More likely, on occasional trips someone might invite a person or two back for company. And what's really the problem with that?

Is it possible for people to be disrespectful or things to get out of hand? Sure. But that is a distinct issue of its own, which is entirely possible WITHOUT visitors from coach. Neither is it necessarily the case that visitors would cause any concern at all. If they are reasonable and respectable passengers it is, indeed, unlikely any others would even notice they "didn't belong."

Last edited by a moderator:
You can have visitors from coach in your sleeping car acommodations.

Visitors' presence shouldn't overcrowd the room or spill into the hallways.

It isn't a party area, in general it's a quiet area. Be respectfull of other sleeping car passengers.

If you have a bedroom or the family bedroom with two adults ticketed in the room, there's enough room for two more adults to visit during the day. The SCA is there to serve ticketed sleeping car passengers. If the attendant is asked to perform service for everyone, even the visitors then tipping should be commensurate.

For the record, in my opinion, four adults in a roomette is pushing the limits. A short visit is one thing. Spending all day or long hours would be too much.

..as well as other sleeper passengers who paid good money to have piece & quiet!!!
Is quiet guaranteed in the ticket purchase contract? Admittedly, even in coach there is a night time quiet hours, but I was unaware of any stricter rule for sleeper service.

I suppose one is entitled to "piece", since what one purchased is, essentially, extra space on the train. Peace, however, is a bit relative to levels of personal tolerance.

Suppose a sleeper passenger meets a coach passenger, and they -- strike it off? And suppose the sleeper passenger wants the coach passenger to join him or her in the privacy in their room so they can, ...... watch the scenery????
Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

I traveled the same way last year with my wife and I in a sleeper and our daughter and her boyfriend (both 20) in coach. When our SCA made his introductions at the start of the trip we explained the situation and that we might get visitors during the trip. We had no problem with the train crew on either train, and they were most accommodating when the "kids" joined us in the dining car for meals. We spent most of our together time in the lounge.

Suppose a sleeper passenger meets a coach passenger, and they -- strike it off? And suppose the sleeper passenger wants the coach passenger to join him or her in the privacy in their room so they can, ...... watch the scenery????
Scenery watching o.k. :) But that other stuff.. hopefully not next to my roomette :help:

My daughter and I will be in the sleeper car (bedroom or Family bedroom), but my son and nephew are riding coach. Will they be able to come visit us during the day in our sleeper bedroom to play cards and such?

Daughter is 18, and son and nephew are 21. We wanted a quiet, private place to do our Bible studies. Lounge car can get loud and disruptive at times depending on who's traveling.
So, you're basically asking us, if its ok for your son and nephew to steal a service, for which you acknowledge they didn't pay to use?

Passengers pay extra, a lot extra, to enjoy the privacy and quiet of the sleeper cars. Something your son and nephew with only coach tickets, didn't pay to use.

May I be bold enough to strongly suggest that part of your Bible studies include a review of "Thou shall not steal". Apparently, that's an ethic you seem to be deficient in understanding.

Thanks for that valuable contribution to the discussion.

Given that a manager from Amtrak has clarified that it isn't against the policy, it's not really stealing then, is it?

..as well as other sleeper passengers who paid good money to have piece & quiet!!!
Is quiet guaranteed in the ticket purchase contract? Admittedly, even in coach there is a night time quiet hours, but I was unaware of any stricter rule for sleeper service.

I suppose one is entitled to "piece", since what one purchased is, essentially, extra space on the train. Peace, however, is a bit relative to levels of personal tolerance.
From the TA-S responsibilities in the blue book:

e) Maintain a Quiet Atmosphere

• Contact the Conductor immediately if a

disturbance occurs that cannot be resolved.
Nothing about a "no visitors policy that I could find.

I am confused, again. Post #2 in this thread says "They shouldn't be" allowed, it would depend on the car attendant. yet posts 41 & 42 seem to say the opposite., That there is nothing in the attendant's rules that prohibit this. These posts are from the same poster. That is confusing.

My daughter and I will be in the sleeper car (bedroom or Family bedroom), but my son and nephew are riding coach. Will they be able to come visit us during the day in our sleeper bedroom to play cards and such?
Daughter is 18, and son and nephew are 21. We wanted a quiet, private place to do our Bible studies. Lounge car can get loud and disruptive at times depending on who's traveling.
So, you're basically asking us, if its ok for your son and nephew to steal a service, for which you acknowledge they didn't pay to use?
Passengers pay extra, a lot extra, to enjoy the privacy and quiet of the sleeper cars. Something your son and nephew with only coach tickets, didn't pay to use.

May I be bold enough to strongly suggest that part of your Bible studies include a review of "Thou shall not steal". Apparently, that's an ethic you seem to be deficient in understanding.
Mr. Moral C. Troll, I must say I like your approach. I would now like to see your departure.

As far as I know there is NOT a "No Visitors" policy in the sleeping cars.

I even spent some time this morning perusing the Standards Manual and I could find nothing about this topic.

As I said in the earlier post, visitors should not overcrowd the room and shouldn't create any disturbances.

In a large room such as the deluxe bedrooms and the family bedroom it really isn't a concern at all.

I am confused, again. Post #2 in this thread says "They shouldn't be" allowed, it would depend on the car attendant. yet posts 41 & 42 seem to say the opposite., That there is nothing in the attendant's rules that prohibit this. These posts are from the same poster. That is confusing.
I'm not sure what is confusing. I thought it was against the rules. Subsequent research showed that it wasn't actually a rule. Worldview modified. Not rocket surgery.

You have to understand something, Ryan. To some people the ability to interpret information and modify your opinion accordingly is beyond confusing.

He was a stowaway because the 20th Century was Sold Out when he tried to snag a Bedroom @ GCT! He pulled the old " I'm just seeing a friend off!" story with the Gate Conductor when he snuck aboard the Train!

Eva Marie had a drawing room, met him in the hall, and hooked up with him by bribing the Steward in the Diner!("How's the Trout?" Very Trouty!")

She had stolen the Pullman Porters Berth Key so Cary could hide in the top bunk when the Gerdames came to her room!"

A Classic, always worth another viewing!
Don't forget he was trying to get away from 7 Parking Tickets! :p

I'm less concerned about coach family or friends visiting sleeper passengers than coach passengers engaging in self-guided tours. Several times while traveling as a sleeper passenger, I've startled interlopers who tried to insist that they were lost on their way back to coach -- which apparently required them to be on the lower level of a Superliner sleeper and open the doors to and step inside several unoccupied-but-booked rooms for quick inspections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back