Amtrak Shutdown in Boston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Extraordinary to see a major US city under lockdown.
It shouldn't be happening. This won't help catch the suspect, mark my words.

It appears that the suspects were intent on committing additional violonce, which is why the first one was tracked down so quickly: their second attack. If the other one is still intent on committing more crimes, he will be found during the next crime. If he isn't, it doesn't matter whether the city is on lockdown or not, he will go to ground successfully. It's not possible to lock down a city even *during an actual war with battle lines*, and this isn't one of those.

The only real utility of the "lockdown" is to give people a solid justification to not go to work. Which is a good thing to do, given that the second suspect may well be intent on blowing up more things. But it does raise the question of how any business is open.
Have you spoken to anyone who actually lives in the midst of this? I have a friend who lives in Watertown and was awake all last night with sounds of explosions, gunfire in the street, and helicopters above her. They were later instructed to hunker down in their basements so that they wouldn't get hit by the shooting in the street as the police chased the two brothers through town. Trust me, this lockdown is not just an excuse to "not go to work."

Bingo. This isn't an excuse to get people out of work. It's to create as little traffic as possible and keep citizens out of the line of fire so the police can do their jobs effectively and prevent more crap like the moron who wandered up to them in the middle of the gunfight last night to ask, "Is this related to the terrorists?"
They played that audio clip on the radio this morning. I would have facepalmed if I hadn't been driving at the time. Who the freaking freak walks up to cops in the middle of gunfire to bug them with an inane question? He could have been shot, and/or his distraction could have caused that cop to get shot. :angry:
Actually, it doesn't seem to me that the comment was directed to police. It seems like the person filming the video was asking someone in the room next to them.

A female voice mumbles something in response. Meanwhile, the cops voices are all well off in the distance.

The comment comes around the 1:05 mark in this video:

http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/metro/Uncut-Shootout-between-suspects-in-Watertown/-/11971628/19812452/-/cjrx2vz/-/index.html
Ah, thank you. On the radio, it wasn't as clear, and the DJs thought it was a bystander too. Phew. That's a relief. :) I'd hate to think someone was that stupid. My faith has been restored. ;)

So, last night as I watched this unfold ( well to me i was last night ) it was only the campus and local police involved and it was stated many times that the FBI was not there and not involved ( at the time). As I wake up it seems it's now a big FBI wingdangdo.
I thought Homeland Security was created for this type of event. If not, just what are they for besides TSA ?

Am I missing something ?
CNN had a timeline this morning. It started as a robbery call and then the subsequent carjacking. They didn't realize who the two men were until everything started going crazy. They were just responding as they normally would to a situation like that, and then all hell broke loose. I'm not sure how quickly the FBI was notified and whether or not it was during or after the shootout.

So, last night as I watched this unfold ( well to me i was last night ) it was only the campus and local police involved and it was stated many times that the FBI was not there and not involved ( at the time). As I wake up it seems it's now a big FBI wingdangdo.
I thought Homeland Security was created for this type of event. If not, just what are they for besides TSA ?
There is a group of people called Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) and I saw people with HSI vests early on in the manhunt. http://www.ice.gov/about/offices/homeland-security-investigations/

I'm going to reserve most of my comments for now, but this is really turning into a royal cluster. I can't help but wonder where Boston is going to be soon if this SOB isn't caught in a day or so...and if he's not, it's going to become embarrassing very quickly.

There is a group of people called Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) and I saw people with HSI vests early on in the manhunt. http://www.ice.gov/about/offices/homeland-security-investigations/
Thanks for the info.

I was on 176 today on my way from Philly to Metropark. It showed New Haven as its destination on the Solari board in Philly. But when we boarded it was announced as train to New York. The Conductors did not know if it will run beyond New York. I got off at Metropark and don;t know what happened to it after that. BTW it had 9 cars and I was in the 9th car which had about 12 people in it out of Philly. If it was truly terminating at NY that probably makes it not that surprising.

You should check to see if 67 might be running out of BOS tonight. They have lifted the stay in place/shelter at home stuff.

You should check to see if 67 might be running out of BOS tonight. They have lifted the stay in place/shelter at home stuff.
Something is happening in Watertown right now - shots fired. around 7pm 4/19

If what I just heard is true, the owner of the boat was not thinking clearly. With everything going on, you'd think he'd suspect the suspect may be in the boat & call the police rather than climb up to take a peek.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, sorry, the action in Watertown got started like 10 minutes after they listed the shelter in place stuff.
Things were happening VERY quickly. Hopefully things will be resolved soon.

Amtrak to and from Boston is back online. Hurrying to catch 67 now

From Malden South station or Back Bay?

And I was just thinking about JoanieB's adventure yesterday that was a faster paced suspense than the current suspect finding in Watertown.

Keep us informed. :)

From Malden South station or Back Bay?
Good luck. I do not have an opinion as to which station. Which one is closer to you? You might get a better seat boarding at South Station, but I will defer to an expert.

I imagine it will be crowded so I'd think south station would be better ONlY if you won't risk missing it by going there rather than BBY

Things were happening VERY quickly. Hopefully things will be resolved soon.
Watching and listening to CNN as they fill time babbeling on and on about nothing and repeating themselves about nothing over and over again makes it seem like everything is in ultra slow motion on the ground and they are all on black mollies ( heavy speed from the 70's)

I feel for everyone involved

Now New Orleans is going nuts as the local news announces "bomb threats" to downtown hotels. They corrected themselves later to say it was an unattended package at the Mariott. The next few weeks will be hard on everyone. sigh...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back