Customer service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Customer service sector most in need of improvement

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackensen

Lead Service Attendant
Amtrak customer service takes a lot of criticism; some deserved and some not. I suspect most regulars would criticize it for being uneven. I think a related issue is that the nature of train travel, especially long-distance travel, requires more interaction with personnel than flying or taking the bus. Flying, you deal with the gate agent and the attendant. Personally, I've only had truly poor interactions with two groups of employees: station staff (I almost listed Chicago separately) and customer service agents. I've had mostly positive interactions with OBS personnel and entirely positive with SCAs. Is there one group that really needs improving or are there across the board issues?

Here's my beef about Chicago. Anyone who's even traveled in coach out of the south concourse knows what I'm talking about and doesn't need to read any further. It's a nightmare down there. Mid-afternoon there isn't enough space to hold all the people departing, and this is compounded by about one quarter of the concourse being reserved for staging the elderly, disabled, parents with children, and business class travelers. This area is never even close to capacity, and by the time the gate people actually announce a train (a) it's too crowded for people to reach the area and (b) it's impossible to hear announcements anyway. Well before boarding time a line will form for no purpose, which then stretches out beyond the bathrooms into the ticket area, causing even more traffic problems but serving no other purpose. I've never seen an employee try to restore order, though I've seen many stand around.

Second beef about Chicago, and I know I'm not alone in this experience. Last May, the wife and I were coming in on the Builder from Seattle. This was before the line closed permanently (obviously) but there were speed restrictions on the Devils Lake subdivision because of earlier flooding. That, freight interference around Minot and a medical emergency in Fargo caused a 4-hour delay and we missed the Wolverine back to Michigan. It was obvious for hours that we would be late and connections would be missed. A passenger service representative came aboard in Wisconsin to work out details and help people make plans. We were to be bused. This was all fine and orderly. On arriving in Chicago, late, you got the impression that the station personnel had never heard of such things as late trains and bus connections. It was very unclear where we were to go, and it was over an hour before the "bus" (a 12-passenger van) was ready to actually take us somewhere. From the time I got off the train in Chicago till the time I boarded the van I didn't feel like the personnel had control of the situation. I shouldn't ever get that feeling, especially when there was nothing sudden about our delay.

Based upon my experiences, I would recommend some improvement to way the Dining Car Staff approaches customer service. Fortunately, I have not experienced some of the difficulties others have experienced with station or on-board staff. In fact, I have seen many of Amtrak's on-board staff go out of their way to provide customer service.

I chose Dining Car Staff since I think Amtrak could improve the manner in which they seat folks for meals and improve one-on-one interaction. In general, I think Dining Car attendants do an Ok job at taking orders and serving meals. If I were in a position to make improvements, I would strive to improve the way attendants interact with customers to help passengers avoid feeling like they are in a production queue. I certainly don't expect the type of service and attention that one would get a "high end" restaurant, but I think they can do better than the typical volume oriented fast food place.

Need a catagory for simply "consistency". I can deal with pretty much anything, as long as I know the game I'm playing. But when I think I'm going for a touchdown, and the ref swipes his hands and says "OUT" I realize I'm not even playing the same game, much less in the same ballpark. Just provide a consistent level of service, at whatever level they choose to.

The top area in need of improvement is the insane "gate" procedures at certain large stations (Chicago, DC, Seattle, etc). These procedures need to END.

Procedures at LA Union are a model. Normal passenger railways let people walk to the platform and get on the train themselves, without queueing through a tiny line. And as SubwayNut has noted, the "gate agents" aren't handling eTickets correctly.

Crowd control may be necessary in some situations due to excessively narrow platforms, but the way Amtrak handles it is no good. Amtrak needs to completely replace its "gate agent" procedures. At the very least, the system needs to be standardized among the different stations which use it (currently procedures are different at each one); but it would be best if the "gate agents" were eliminated whereever possible, in favor of normal railroad boarding procedure, as the "gate agent" business slows everything down for no good reason.

This is truly fundamental to running a railroad, unlike most other "customer service" issues.

I'll give a shout out to "consistency" as well. It's annoying to find every single diner with slightly different procedures and slightly different hours, which you only learn once you're on the train...

Need a catagory for simply "consistency". I can deal with pretty much anything, as long as I know the game I'm playing. But when I think I'm going for a touchdown, and the ref swipes his hands and says "OUT" I realize I'm not even playing the same game, much less in the same ballpark. Just provide a consistent level of service, at whatever level they choose to.

I agree. What bothers me most about customer service is the across the board lack of consistency. Amtrak really needs to continue working to improve this problem. Many Amtrak employees I've talked to - the good ones - agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
The top area in need of improvement is the insane "gate" procedures at certain large stations (Chicago, DC, Seattle, etc). These procedures need to END.

Procedures at LA Union are a model. Normal passenger railways let people walk to the platform and get on the train themselves, without queueing through a tiny line. And as SubwayNut has noted, the "gate agents" aren't handling eTickets correctly.
Eh, LA Union likes to do the silly line thing out in the main concourse and they can get upset at times if you go up to the train platform ahead of time. San Diego does the line thing as well. There's no good reason for any of it of course, especially when Metrolink and Coaster display the track platforms and times hours ahead of time and let you board about 20 minutes early.

You forgot sector: Metropolitan Lounge, Chicago!! I vote for that sector.
I would say the whole of Chicago Union Station vcould do with an overhaul. The wonderful old headhouse is such a stylish place putting you in the right mood for a grand journey. But once you get beyond that into the underground bit that impression is spoilt as there is nothing grand about it. I suppose I could live with the blandness if at least it was especially functional, but it's not that either. I don't know how it used to be in the old days, but would there be a way of putting some of the real grandeur back as in large open spaces wiuth high ceilings?

I would say the whole of Chicago Union Station vcould do with an overhaul. The wonderful old headhouse is such a stylish place putting you in the right mood for a grand journey. But once you get beyond that into the underground bit that impression is spoilt as there is nothing grand about it. I suppose I could live with the blandness if at least it was especially functional, but it's not that either. I don't know how it used to be in the old days, but would there be a way of putting some of the real grandeur back as in large open spaces wiuth high ceilings?
I traveled in and out of Chicago Union Station years before it was Amtrak. The train boarding area was very high and cavernous.

i-ZLr3Ghm-L.jpg

This is what it looked like in those years. The track entrances are on either side. The entrance way under the steps was the way to what is still the large waiting room (at least they didn't tear that down).

But, interestingly enough, there was no open access to the tracks without passing through big double doors at each track that remained closed until near train departure time. You could NOT have entry unless it was train time and you had a ticket. Because there were many more trains in those days it was tightly controlled. But, there was also a lot more room for passengers to wander around while waiting for their train.

i-S6rgrhr.jpg

This is what it looked like outside. The old Waiting Room area is the far building and the train shed area is the one with Fred Harvey on it.

I would say the station staff at PHL is great! More so after yesterday! They had boarded 86 onto track 5 and then CETC pulled a last minute move and switched tracks and put it on track 7. Even with about 75 passengers having to do a track switch they remained calm and did it without hassle and very quickly before the train pulled in. I called CR and gave them high remarks about how they did. :) I'll have to think about my vote for a while though.

Uh oh, we're taking the CZ next month and planned on getting to the station early to hang out at the Met Lounge. What exactly should I brace myself for?

Uh oh, we're taking the CZ next month and planned on getting to the station early to hang out at the Met Lounge. What exactly should I brace myself for?
I was there in November for the 1st (and so far only time) and had no issues. It may only be a small percentage of people/times that there are problems.

I was there in November for the 1st (and so far only time) and had no issues. It may only be a small percentage of people/times that there are problems.
I have been there about a dozen times (or more) and never had a problem.

As evidenced by this, CUS Master Plan the City of Chicago and Amtrak are aware of it's shortcommings and hopefully some of the plans within will see fruition. The renovation of the HVAC in the Great Hall has already been done and I believe the Metropolitan Lounge is scheduled to be moved next summer.

Maybe it's our sweet, innocent looking faces. :D

I have only been there twice, but both times went swimmingly at the lounge. I did not have any issues and the desk staff members were very nice to me.

I have only been there twice, but both times went swimmingly at the lounge. I did not have any issues and the desk staff members were very nice to me.
I wonder what all three of these "no problems" members have in common? :lol:

I traveled in and out of Chicago Union Station years before it was Amtrak. The train boarding area was very high and cavernous.

i-ZLr3Ghm-L.jpg

This is what it looked like in those years. The track entrances are on either side. The entrance way under the steps was the way to what is still the large waiting room (at least they didn't tear that down).

But, interestingly enough, there was no open access to the tracks without passing through big double doors at each track that remained closed until near train departure time. You could NOT have entry unless it was train time and you had a ticket. Because there were many more trains in those days it was tightly controlled. But, there was also a lot more room for passengers to wander around while waiting for their train.

i-S6rgrhr.jpg

This is what it looked like outside. The old Waiting Room area is the far building and the train shed area is the one with Fred Harvey on it.
Isn't that kinda how it is now ??? ? Except, as you mentioned, a small glass room with thousands of people waiting until 15 minutes before their train is called and then the kindergarten walk to the platform?

Back to the Poll... I found customer service that is lacking and that excels in each of those categories. It comes down to consistency of service. Which is a result of consistency in training. Which requires management oversight and appreciation.

Eh, LA Union likes to do the silly line thing out in the main concourse and they can get upset at times if you go up to the train platform ahead of time. San Diego does the line thing as well. There's no good reason for any of it of course, especially when Metrolink and Coaster display the track platforms and times hours ahead of time and let you board about 20 minutes early.

This is especialy true for the LD trains. You see a very long line; you ask the last person in that line, "Is this the line for the Sunset Limitied ( or whatever)?", and hope they know what they are talking about. If it were not for the fact you need to get your seat assignment (for coach), I would just go direct to the platform, once the board displays the track info.

Mid-afternoon there isn't enough space to hold all the people departing, and this is compounded by about one quarter of the concourse being reserved for staging the elderly, disabled, parents with children, and business class travelers. ...

Well before boarding time a line will form for no purpose, which then stretches out beyond the bathrooms into the ticket area, causing even more traffic problems but serving no other purpose.
I agree the queuing up is mindless. But this is part of what makes CUS fun. My wife and I enjoy staying seated while others are hunting for the back of the line out near the ticket counter. Then when they call for the elderly, we bull our way through the mob, pushing our bicycles out to the bull pen you speak of.

As far as consistency is concerned, in my opinion, it's caused by the radically decentralized structure of train operations. Think of a factory without management or a quality assurance department present. Producing product according to specs becomes voluntary on the part of the workers. Whatever QA there is, the customer does it after the fact by calling customer service.

I also think Chicago is a nightmare. I have never been there when I haven't seen a verbal fight break out between passengers waiting in that tiny enclosed space. People pushing each other around, etc....I have never

been impressed with any of the staff either. They turn a blind eye to anything that is going on, and look at you with disdain if you have the gall to ask them a question. Just really dislike going through Chicago and always dread it!

I would agree with Diemos' comments. I have felt like a private being ordered by a superior officer when being seated. :hi:

I'll go along with the service inconstencies in train personel. Occasionally you'll encounter a real gem with a heart to serve and it is almost like they are trying to make up for all the slackers who even if they do come out from hiding, seem to view their job as drudgery and are more than willing to share their view. There seems to be no middle ground; they are great or they are deplorable.

As for CHI, try to avoid rush hours when the Metra riders flood the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back