I never thought I'd be mad at Julie

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_traveler

Engineer
At least she works for Amtrak! She moonlights for the Post office!

Try to get her attention there!
ohmy.gif
There is no "0" to bypass her. You need to "press 1" or "press 2" or ...
mad.gif
And there is no easy way to get to Customer Service either!
mad.gif

Julie should keep her day job!
rolleyes.gif
(And I say this as a former Postal worker and currently having a sister who is a Postmaster!)

I had to try to contact the postal service once or twice a few years ago, and it was damn near impossible to find a way to speak to an actual human being, and none of the automated messages addressed the issue (i.e. mail that wasn't being forwarded/delivered properly).

Wow, I must be lucky.

Not only have I called the post office 800-customer service number and got a real person, but they gave me the phone number for my local office, too.

When I called that number, they answered the phone!

I guess they must know not to mess with me! :p

And traveler: I think Julie works for a lot of other businesses. I saw it on the news once. I will see if I can dig up the link and send it to you.

Fortunately I live in a small town where the postmaster knows about everybody, me included. So when I have had some problems, I go talk to him personally. And my problems have been solved right away. People tend to look down on us bumpkins who live in rural areas, but getting personal service in areas like this can be so much easier than in urban areas.

As for Julie, she's cute........I can overlook her personal idiosyncrasies. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to hunt, but I found the article that mentions her other clients --at least at the time of this article appeared in 2009.

Funny to find that the real Juile lives in MA and she was even on The Simpsons!

http://bcm.bc.edu/issues/summer_2009/works/answering-the-call.html

I wonder how much she would charge to be my ringtone on my phone? "Hi, Jackie. This is Julie. Answer your phone!" :)

As a conclusion to this thread, here's what finally happened.

When I checked the tracking on Thursday, it said "Notice left" and "Signature required". Because no notice was left, I called USPS on Friday and after arguing with Julie, I talked to a human. She checked her computer and saw the same thing!
blink.gif
So she took my information and said that it would be sent out on Saturday to my house.

While on the phone (on Friday), my mail came. Guess what I found in my mailbox?
huh.gif
The item - and no signature was needed!
mda.gif

I'm sorry the_traveler, but I can't let this thread go without commenting.

I like Julie.

And the article about the real Julie was great - Thanks JackieTtT!

But unfortunately, as much as I like her, I have found Julie to be a compulsive liar when it comes to ETAs, especially when a train is running late or experiences a service 'event.' Sigh.... :giggle:

Here's a quote from that article...

Since her debut in April 2001, Julie has earned high marks from callers, who have given her an approval rating of more than 90 percent, according to surveys done by Amtrak and by a company hired by the railroad. Many riders say that she sounds and acts so lifelike that they did not immediately realize that she was just a computer program.
So ninety percent of people too clueless to immediately realize they were talking to a computer think she's great? I've never once been able to get Julie to handle anything even remotely important. When Amtrak trusts Julie to do real work like a real human agent maybe I'll give her another try. For now Julie's no better than if it was "put your kid on the phone day" at the reservations center. She's cute, cheerful, and completely unable handle any but the most basic of tasks. No thanks Julie, I'd rather speak to an adult so we can get some real work done.

In handling roughly five million calls, or about a quarter of Amtrak's annual call volume Julie has saved the perennially strained railroad more than $13 million that it would have cost for humans to handle calls. Amtrak officials would not say how much Julie cost.
If Amtrak refuses to even tell us how much Julie cost then how can we know how much she saved or lost Amtrak? I wonder what sort of criteria they used to determine how many people Julie "handled?" For instance, does it include people who simply hung up on her?

Back