Sleepers on the head again

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Carolina Association for Passenger Trains email group is reporting today that the sleepers have returned to the head-end on the Crescent and Silver Service trains.

This thread began with a discussion about the Cardinal. Trains 19/20, 50/51, 91/92, and 97/98 now operate with their sleepers on the head-end.

The train in the video certainly looked like the Meteor. Unless the Crescent was deadheading a sleeper or was carrying an extra for some special occasion, that was the Meteor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the original question. I was in downtown Orlando yesterday (6.3.10) and noticed that the Silver Star P092 had the sleepers up front again. I think it was lead by engines #164 & #147. Seems like Amtrak is always changing there mind on the consist order....

-Whistlepostwp

Not enough domes in Amtrak system for Cardinal.Like Amtrak said they WANT to make the Cardinal a Superliner train as soon as possible. Now I don't think it will go to St. Louis (Way too many problems for it to go there). but there is a very good chance of it going to Superliner soon.

Amtrak is changing, abeit slowly.

If the Cardinal is going to be made into a Superliner they would have to use a new car design. NY Penn Station, the Hudson River Tunnels and the Eastern underpasses allow only so much clearance. They accomodate NJT bi-Level cars but these are not nearly as high as a Superliner.

Not enough domes in Amtrak system for Cardinal.Like Amtrak said they WANT to make the Cardinal a Superliner train as soon as possible. Now I don't think it will go to St. Louis (Way too many problems for it to go there). but there is a very good chance of it going to Superliner soon.

If the Cardinal is going to be made into a Superliner they would have to use a new car design. NY Penn Station, the Hudson River Tunnels and the Eastern underpasses allow only so much clearance. They accomodate NJT bi-Level cars but these are not nearly as high as a Superliner.

Or, rather, the train would originate/terminate at WAS rather than NYP, if the Cardinal switched to Superliners.

NJTs Multilevels are not going to be a template for the next Superliner cars. The NJT cars are not designed well for long distance service. As Eric said any Superliner trains will terminate in WAS for years to come.

NJTs Multilevels are not going to be a template for the next Superliner cars. The NJT cars are not designed well for long distance service. As Eric said any Superliner trains will terminate in WAS for years to come.
The NJTransit multilevels aren't well designed for anything at all, let alone long distance service. The multilevels are part of a plan to drive riders off of the rails.

The NJTransit multilevels aren't well designed for anything at all, let alone long distance service. The multilevels are part of a plan to drive riders off of the rails.
The multi-level NJT cars were designed to increase capacity and they seem to meet that objective. They aren't the nicest looking cars or provide the most comfortable ride and I agree they would be a poor base model for a scaled down superliner as you have to step down or up for seating. However, they do address the overherd clearance issues. If anything the recent fare increases will serve to drive riders off the rails. From the closest train station to my home which is Raritan, the OFF PEAK fare to NYC and back is now $50 R/T. If we go to the city thats $100 in train fare, not much less than the NE reg fare to DC.

The multi-level NJT cars were designed to increase capacity and they seem to meet that objective. They aren't the nicest looking cars or provide the most comfortable ride and I agree they would be a poor base model for a scaled down superliner as you have to step down or up for seating. However, they do address the overherd clearance issues. If anything the recent fare increases will serve to drive riders off the rails. From the closest train station to my home which is Raritan, the OFF PEAK fare to NYC and back is now $50 R/T. If we go to the city thats $100 in train fare, not much less than the NE reg fare to DC.
You must be taking the scenic route to NYP. :eek:

Otherwise according to the NJT website, the one way far from Raritan to NYP is $14.25, making a RT $29.00. They actually don't sell RT's anymore at all, so essentially you're just buying 2 - one way tickets.

Have you even ridden in these things? Climbing up and down the stairs is nothing. I'm not a tall guy and I've hit my head frequently on these things. And they are about the slowest things on earth to unload. LIRR schedules half the time between trains at platforms than NJ Transit, and there are a variety of reasons- but a major one is the time it takes to detrain a NJT Multilevel versus an LIRR M7. Also, if you ever want to see something fun, go down to to the LIRR level of NYP and look at track 21. Then go down to NJT track 1. The platforms are the same width give or take an inch or two. Swear to god.

In addition, track 21 has 4 access points. Track 1 has 2. Track 21 has relatively short stair access. Track 1's access points are long climbs and escalators. We don't need 6 new platforms in a deep cavern, god damnit. We need competent layout of the existing tracks, plus an additional pair of access points through Moynihan. With 40 or 50 million worth of layout improvements, and appropriate equipment (single level EMUs) they could cut the loading time in half, cut the platform time almost in half, and serve as many trains as the ARC tunnels could handle heading directly in to Penn.

Oh, jeeze, I'm getting into another anti-deep cavern rant again. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back