you have got to be kidding me

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bretton88

Conductor
So, on the website, and new flash animated conductor has appeared to "be helpful." Now, on the surface this seems like a great idea, but it isn't. It kills the performance of the website :angry: Now, It freezes on me and is barely usable! Why Amtrak? Why??

It doesn't freeze for me, and I think it's cute. :)

I tried the new help feature and it worked, just a little slow. When I don't click on it, no issue at all.

Aww, it's kind of cute. It does get you to a couple places that may take a bit longer to find on your own.

Seems geared to either the gamer crowd or those who may be 'computer challenged'.

Aww, it's kind of cute. It does get you to a couple places that may take a bit longer to find on your own.Seems geared to either the gamer crowd or those who may be 'computer challenged'.
I think it appeals to first time users and those generally not aware of how the website or Amtrak works, and I would say it accomplishes this quite well. On a side note most major airlines have a similar service on their websites.

Yeah, for me, It just refuses to pop up and freezes the site. And no, I will give up Amtrak before I give up firefox. Now, the conductor is a good thing, just not for me.

works for me though i don't have the ad zapper 5000 that zaps everything and anything LOL. i clicked on the button "can i help you" and after his speech clicked on find station near me and it works fine. if its a problem don't use it. you DON'T have to click on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is freezing up my browser too.

Thanks for the info on what site to block. Going to give that try.

It's working on Safari 4.0.5 on OS X 10.6.3 without issue. It also doesn't auto launch unless I click on it.

What browser and OS are you using?

By the way, the conductor's name is Preston (right-click the graphic and hit save). He and Julie are rumored to be an item.

So, on the website, and new flash animated conductor has appeared to "be helpful." Now, on the surface this seems like a great idea, but it isn't. It kills the performance of the website :angry: Now, It freezes on me and is barely usable! Why Amtrak? Why??

Scotty...I need more power!

Where you are guys seeing this person? I clicked on "HELP" on top of the screen, and then I got a list of help info.. no "person'?

Where you are guys seeing this person? I clicked on "HELP" on top of the screen, and then I got a list of help info.. no "person'?
That's weird-he's not there now. There was a little 'Conductor Character' right next to the words New Riders with the caption"Can I help you?".

That's weird-he's not there now. There was a little 'Conductor Character' right next to the words New Riders with the caption"Can I help you?".

I didn't see him either. I guess he and Julie are off together doing who knows what. :lol:

Ad blockers are great tools, but remember that when you use them to block ads on this forum, you are making it harder for me to keep the site going... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that great guys! Just when I got all excited about the "creepy conductor" animation, he's gone from the Amtrak website! Now, I'm not going to blame the whiners for the disappearance of the animation. No, I blame the "hours of service" rules. I bet the poor little fellow simply outlawed after 12 hours on duty and has to get 10 hour of rest before he can work the website again. Yes, I'm so disappointed, but safety comes first.

Seriously, I suspect that if Amtrak users were having issues with the site, the animation might have been pulled. Some people might scoff, but Microsoft is apparently toying around with the same sort of idea again, after having made the first initial try at an animated interface back in the mid 90s.

Yeah, he's gone. It must have been a more common issue than I thought if Amtrak pulled him from service.

Ad blockers are great tools, but remember that when you use them to block ads on this forum, you are making it harder for me to keep the site going... ;)

Just a quick question Anthony would it bring more revenue to the site if one were to click on an ad occasionally? If so I think we all could help, as I think that a lot of people do appreciate all the effort that goes into a project like this. I know that the "rewards" for administration and moderation are few. I personally want to thank the people that are responsible for bringing me the pleasure of being able to be here, and for free.

The other Alan B.

:rolleyes: :lol: :rolleyes:

if its any help i just clicked again on the public storage link sense i will me moving and using them. now if you could get U-haul link for me to click on LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back