Silver Star/Meteor Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I have a few questions about the Silver trains, and I figured you guys were the best to ask, being rail fans. I have only traveled Amtrak once before, from New York Penn to Washington DC and back, and I loved it! I'm considering taking a train from NYP to Jacksonville FL for winter break, because planes are super-expensive and with Amtrak I can save over $150. But first I have questions.

1.) Are there power outlets in coach class? I have to travel coach because adding a roomette or sleeper would make it more then a plane, which obviously is not optimal.I got power outlets both ways when I took the Northeast Regional from Penn to Union, but do the Silvers have this amenity? I read books very quickly and would need 5 or so to be entertained on my trip; I'd rather just be able to read ebooks on the laptop, but obviously that's only possible with an outlet. So what are my odds of getting a coach outlet?

2.) Has anyone ordered the vegan options mentioned on Amtrak's dining page? I have a dairy allergy, which means it's super hard to eat out. I was considering bringing my own box of cereal and some chips or something to eat on the trip. But if they have decent vegan options, I'd consider that. How many meals would I be getting, and approximately how much does each one cost? Are the vegan options more? Are they good?

3.) Are there any other things you think I should know about taking a long-haul train?

Thanks in advance for all your replies,

epda

1) I don't know what your odds are, but some coaches do, and some don't. There will be no way to tell whether you will get a coach with or without outlets ahead of time.

2) I have never ordered the vegan meals, but you might want to call 1-800-USA-RAIL to see if they have a dairy-free meal. It is not listed on their website, but their subcontractor offers these meals, so they might, as well.

3) Have fun!

Hi! I have a few questions about the Silver trains, and I figured you guys were the best to ask, being rail fans. I have only traveled Amtrak once before, from New York Penn to Washington DC and back, and I loved it! I'm considering taking a train from NYP to Jacksonville FL for winter break, because planes are super-expensive and with Amtrak I can save over $150. But first I have questions.
1.) Are there power outlets in coach class? I have to travel coach because adding a roomette or sleeper would make it more then a plane, which obviously is not optimal.I got power outlets both ways when I took the Northeast Regional from Penn to Union, but do the Silvers have this amenity? I read books very quickly and would need 5 or so to be entertained on my trip; I'd rather just be able to read ebooks on the laptop, but obviously that's only possible with an outlet. So what are my odds of getting a coach outlet?

2.) Has anyone ordered the vegan options mentioned on Amtrak's dining page? I have a dairy allergy, which means it's super hard to eat out. I was considering bringing my own box of cereal and some chips or something to eat on the trip. But if they have decent vegan options, I'd consider that. How many meals would I be getting, and approximately how much does each one cost? Are the vegan options more? Are they good?

3.) Are there any other things you think I should know about taking a long-haul train?

Thanks in advance for all your replies,

epda
Hi there and welcome to the board! I think you'll like Amtrak a lot if you decide to take it to Florida. I've never had a problem getting a seat with power outlets on the Silver Service (granted I've only ridden it 3 times) and each coach I was in had been equipped with outlets. There was one coach on a Silver train earlier this year which was obviously not refurbished (it had tragic 1970s brown/orange interior) and I did make note that the seats in that coach did not have power outlets. Tip: Since many of the Silvers I have been on have only had 1 outlet per seat pair, you might find it useful to bring a 3-outlet tap so you can share the outlet with your seat mate in case you both need an outlet. Most Northeast Regional trains have 2 outlets per seat pair in their coaches, so that problem of sharing 1 outlet doesn't seem to happen much.

Take a look at the First Time Rider tips in these boards at Tips and at Amtrak.com's Pre-Departure Checklist

I can't speak for the menu items, but I'm sure others might have some comments.

One final tip - if you travel in coach overnight and get cold easily, bring a sweatshirt and/or light blanket. It will make your night-time travel much more comfortable. Have fun!

Welcome!

This summer, I traveled extensively of a number of LD trains, and found very few that did not have at seat power in coach. So I'd say your chances are 90%+ of finding an outlet!

I have not ordered the special meals, but as mentioned, I'd call and ask.

The best advice is have fun, and forget about the time!

And remember that the only dumb question is the one you did not ask, because it was dumb!

Hi there - I have travelled the Silver Star twice from Philadelphia to Tampa and both times, I ordered the vegetarian dish for dinner. Important to note that I remember it being labled vegitarian and NOT vegan. Can't promise that you'll get a vegan option off the menu so might be best to call ahead and see if you can request one.

Enjoy - you're gonna have a great time.

I have to travel coach because adding a roomette or sleeper would make it more then a plane, which obviously is not optimal.
Remember that if you fly or travel in a sleeper (including a roomette, I believe), you get free meals (unless the airlines, looking for ways to gouge their passengers—I mean, pay for fuel, etc.—are charging for them as well). How would the cost of coach with meals extra compare to the cost of a roomette with meals included (or even flying, assuming you weren't being "gouged" for meals)?

Remember that if you fly or travel in a sleeper (including a roomette, I believe), you get free meals (unless the airlines, looking for ways to gouge their passengers—I mean, pay for fuel, etc.—are charging for them as well).
All domestic US airlines (except Continental) charge for meals in coach. And yes - meals are included on Amtrak for both roomettes and bedrooms.

Remember that if you fly or travel in a sleeper (including a roomette, I believe), you get free meals (unless the airlines, looking for ways to gouge their passengers—I mean, pay for fuel, etc.—are charging for them as well).
All domestic US airlines (except Continental) charge for meals in coach. And yes - meals are included on Amtrak for both roomettes and bedrooms.
Plus, if comparing, remember to factor into air travel cost the luggage fees, airport fees, TSA fees, misc fees, and more fees. Airplane ticket costs which are boldly advertised, rarely include these.

Plus, remember that the Amtrak's accommodation charge covers two people.

Plus, if comparing, remember to factor into air travel cost the luggage fees, airport fees, TSA fees, misc fees, and more fees. Airplane ticket costs which are boldly advertised, rarely include these.
Plus, remember that the Amtrak's accommodation charge covers two people.
Which can also be read that you're being overcharged if you're by yourself. :) Honestly, I don't know if luggage fees, airport fees, tsa fees msic fees and more fees, AND meals can add up to $416 +++. Besides, the RT cost on Jet Blue from JFK to JAX is between $204 and $280 TOTAL will all the above mentioned fees included (except baggage).

The number one thing I tell folks who are going on an LD Amtrak train for the first time is be very flexible and be very willing to adapt to any circumstance that may occur along the way. Be prepared. There are a couple of excellent threads on what to take along with you to make your trip a bit more comfy.

Coach should be fine. If you're traveling by yourself, keep in mind that you'll have a stranger for a seat mate. Unlike flights which are relatively quick and easier to tolerate, you could be spending a long time next to fellow traveler. Keeping that in mind, personal hygiene is something to take extra care of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which can also be read that you're being overcharged if you're by yourself. :)
Have you stayed at a hotel lately? Have you asked for, and been granted, paying only 1/2 price for your room because you will be using it alone?

At least at the hotels I stay at, its the same price if I am alone, or have a companion sharing the room with me.

Amtrak does basically the same thing. They charge for the room, regardless if it occupied by one or the max.

Don't forget to add PARKING to the list of vigorish you often have to pay when traveling. In many places, you can park for free at the train station and have your vehicle in a fairly safe spot. I don't know of any airport where parking is free, or less than $5/day if you park 10 miles away and wait 2 hours for a shuttle.

You can request a special menu... I'm not sure how this works since you are in coach, but I guess if you reserve your meals, you'd be guaranteed a meal.

Special Menus and dietary requirements page

I would encourage you to take the train. We just returned from Ft Lauderdale (we were on an ocean cruise) and due to time constraints, we had to fly.

The hassle of getting checked in and security once again confirmed my preference to travel by Amtrak!! This was my first time flying a non-legacy carrier and

the cost was advertised with a low flight price, then they added all of the additional charges and the price nearly doubled!! I hope you enjoy your trek.

Don't forget to add PARKING to the list of vigorish you often have to pay when traveling. In many places, you can park for free at the train station and have your vehicle in a fairly safe spot. I don't know of any airport where parking is free, or less than $5/day if you park 10 miles away and wait 2 hours for a shuttle.
The one thing that I'm taking advantage of, given my geography is Park-n-fly with hotels. Many airport hotels will let you park your car there, and take their shuttle over if you spend the night.

I just took the Silver Star from WAS to Miami. If you are in the sleeper, be prepared for a rough ride overnight in the Carolinas. The sleepers are on the back of the train, so they 'wag' back and forth more than the coaches do. This has to be the roughest track I have ever been on.

Other than that, it's a nice ride. I enjoyed it.

I just took the Silver Star from WAS to Miami. If you are in the sleeper, be prepared for a rough ride overnight in the Carolinas. The sleepers are on the back of the train, so they 'wag' back and forth more than the coaches do. This has to be the roughest track I have ever been on.
LOL I laugh every time someone mentions that! My 1st trip was on the Meteor from ORL to WAS in a sleeper. A Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On!!!!!!

RF :lol:

There was a lot of chatter here back when Amtrak switched the sleepers to the rear of the Silvers.

They might "wag" more, but they are also further away from that relentless air horn. :D

There was a lot of chatter here back when Amtrak switched the sleepers to the rear of the Silvers.

They might "wag" more, but they are also further away from that relentless air horn. :D
I'm one of those people that don't mind the horn. :cool:

I don't know if I'd like extra wag in the sleeper car. :unsure: :blink:

The trains we took at night were pretty smooth. :)

We've not ridden in a sleeper in the back yet.

I'm one of those people that don't mind the horn. :cool:

I don't know if I'd like extra wag in the sleeper car. :unsure: :blink:

I have ridden the Silver Meteor round trip once and the Silver Star round trip once since the sleepers were moved. I think it is awful. The ride is considerably more rough. :angry:

I love hearing the horn; in fact I can often hear it from my home which is less than a mile from the tracks. In fact, I am expecting to hear the Silver Star horn in a few minutes. :)

I'm one of those people that don't mind the horn. :cool: I don't know if I'd like extra wag in the sleeper car. :unsure: :blink:

I have ridden the Silver Meteor round trip once and the Silver Star round trip once since the sleepers were moved. I think it is awful. The ride is considerably more rough. :angry:
I love hearing the horn; in fact I can often hear it from my home which is less than a mile from the tracks. In fact, I am expecting to hear the Silver Star horn in a few minutes. :)
Aloha

I am listening but doubt that I will here it. :rolleyes:

I love hearing the horn; in fact I can often hear it from my home which is less than a mile from the tracks. In fact, I am expecting to hear the Silver Star horn in a few minutes. smile.gif
Pennyk: I'm just East of 17-92 and just North of 436 in Casselberry, and hear them going through Altamonte pretty well most of the time, especially 92 at night, and the radio scanner on Road and Dispatch hears them from almost the Deland/Orange City DD (on good days) down to South Orlando.

Eric, if you hear it wayyyyyyy out there, there will have been some seriously broken windows around here. Maybe a Back to the Future Fusion-Powered Horn? Probably would vaporize the engine, too. Or take so much power the train would run backwards while the horn was sounding !! :lol: :lol:

Joe

AmtrakWPK

Last edited by a moderator:
I love hearing the horn; in fact I can often hear it from my home which is less than a mile from the tracks. In fact, I am expecting to hear the Silver Star horn in a few minutes. smile.gif
Pennyk: I'm just East of 17-92 and just North of 436 in Casselberry, and hear them going through Altamonte pretty well most of the time, especially 92 at night, and the radio scanner on Road and Dispatch hears them from almost the Deland/Orange City DD (on good days) down to South Orlando.

Eric, if you hear it wayyyyyyy out there, there will have been some seriously broken windows around here. Maybe a Back to the Future Fusion-Powered Horn? Probably would vaporize the engine, too. Or take so much power the train would run backwards while the horn was sounding !! :lol: :lol:

Joe

AmtrakWPK
Joe, Hi neighbor,

I live near Colonial and Highland in downtown Orlando. If I have my scanner on, I can hear the engineer (?) acknowledge his position at Virginia Drive. The night of the Orlando shooting, I heard 92 talking about the fact that there was still a police presence when passing the area of the shooting, but they were able to get through easily. (Both 97 and 98 were delayed that day - the office building was right next to the tracks).

I do not live quite close enough to the Orlando or WP stations to walk with luggage, but I am close enough to take a city bus fairly easily (and have done so several times).

Penny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back