Amtrak train restroom comments?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NETrainfan

Lead Service Attendant
Since station restrooms have been discussed, thought maybe there might be some good suggestions for improving some of the train restrooms on Amtrak.

We have traveled often on Amtrak and always wonder- why aren't some of the restrooms designed better and will they be better designed in the future for sanitation purposes.

For instance, the smaller restrooms really need better trash containers. This does not seem like it would be an expensive upgrade. Almost every small restroom I've seen has stuffed and overflowing trash containers. The larger restrooms- the accessible ones have nice big trash boxes.

Adding a few places to put shaving kits or cosmetic bags would be most helpful. (So that they don't swim in splashed water!) Some of the restrooms have a pull down shelf which is great. Can't these shelves just be a part of the design of every train restroom?

Now- a bigger issue. We have wondered about the sanitation of the push the water system in the sinks. Any comments on that?

These issues are about sanitation more than convenience.

It would be nice if they would remove the lids altogether on the trash cans. Personally I'm not all that fond of trying to get my paper towel into the trash can without touching the lid after I have washed my hands...

I believe the main problems around restrooms are simply the lack of frequent inspection and cleaning by train staff. Most long distance restrooms need to be cleaned at least once or twice, some even need a turd clean.

Ed B)

I believe the main problems around restrooms are simply the lack of frequent inspection and cleaning by train staff. Most long distance restrooms need to be cleaned at least once or twice, some even need a turd clean.
Ed B)

Sorry, that should read Third clean..
Ed B)
Sorry, but I must say LOL!!! That slip up made me laugh! :lol:

Ed B)

Sorry, that should read Third clean..
Ed B)
Sorry, but I must say LOL!!! That slip up made me laugh! :lol:
Agree about removing the tops of trash bins.

More cleaning would always be good.

Funny, Ed.

What about the push up water turn-on? Did they replace the traditional faucets to save water? Do you think they are sanitary?

Well, I am not sure the main problem is with the train staff.

I can give the example that in my room, the bathroom area is still relatively clean even the next day.

Sorry, but the real problem is with one's fellow coach passengers. :rolleyes:

One of my biggest peeves is the sink faucets. Those things come out with so much pressure that the water splashes EVERYWHERE (in a Viewliner roomette that means on your bed/seats as well). And in public restrooms, few people feel obligated to wipe up the counters after using the faucet.

Ed B)
I think they should come through once every hour and have a sheet of paper that they sign off on just like at restaurants. I am not saying a deep clean, but just a once over to make things nice.

Ed B)
I think they should come through once every hour and have a sheet of paper that they sign off on just like at restaurants. I am not saying a deep clean, but just a once over to make things nice.
Except there would be no accountability for that. Nothing to stop them from filling in all the blanks at one time or to make sure they actually cleaned them.

One of my biggest peeves is the sink faucets. Those things come out with so much pressure that the water splashes EVERYWHERE (in a Viewliner roomette that means on your bed/seats as well). And in public restrooms, few people feel obligated to wipe up the counters after using the faucet.
I agree! :angry: And with those push-up faucets, more water splashes out of the sink than gets on your hands! :rolleyes:

I think it begins with the passengers themselves. No, I don't expect them to scrub sinks and toilets, but it would be nice if they put trash into the proper receptacle, wiped off any mess on the toilet seats they made, and clean up water spills. Those actions take all of 30 seconds and make the job of whomever cleans the bathrooms that much easier.

It would be nice if they would remove the lids altogether on the trash cans. Personally I'm not all that fond of trying to get my paper towel into the trash can without touching the lid after I have washed my hands...

Agree here. Those small lids are a hindrance to the whole process. Removing the lids would help.

Since station restrooms have been discussed, thought maybe there might be some good suggestions for improving some of the train restrooms on Amtrak.
We have traveled often on Amtrak and always wonder- why aren't some of the restrooms designed better and will they be better designed in the future for sanitation purposes.

For instance, the smaller restrooms really need better trash containers. This does not seem like it would be an expensive upgrade. Almost every small restroom I've seen has stuffed and overflowing trash containers. The larger restrooms- the accessible ones have nice big trash boxes.

Adding a few places to put shaving kits or cosmetic bags would be most helpful. (So that they don't swim in splashed water!) Some of the restrooms have a pull down shelf which is great. Can't these shelves just be a part of the design of every train restroom?

Now- a bigger issue. We have wondered about the sanitation of the push the water system in the sinks. Any comments on that?

These issues are about sanitation more than convenience.
As for the design... Amtrak has come a LOOONG way in making restrooms much nicer. The acela trainsets have really nice restrooms as do the refurbished superlliner sleepers.

you also got people who never flush after taking the browns to the superbowl.
I think some people have trouble figuring out the difference between the "car attendant call button" and the "toilet flush button". True story, on one of my Empire Builder trips, while sitting in the lower level seating, I kept hearing the attendant call "chime" going off. Eventually the car attendant came downstairs and started asking the person in the bathroom if they were alright. Lol they kept saying yes and the "chime" would go off again. Finally the attendant figured out what was going on and informed them that the toilet flush button was the "other" one :lol:

On a serious note I completely agree with the posters who mentioned the water pressure at the sink faucet being too much. It is difficult to not splash it all over the place...

you also got people who never flush after taking the browns to the superbowl.

That's the only way the Browns will get to the Super Bowl! :lol: :p

I agree, though. Flush, for crying out loud! A couple of times on my last trip I had to repeatedly push the button before the toilet would finally flush, but I didn't to leave it for someone else to deal with.

This is a new one on me; from Trainweb.

A quick note about the Superliner toilets that frustrate some people the first time they use one: you won't find any handle or button to flush the toilet! Don't bother looking for one. Just close the lid to the toilet and it will automatically flush. As with everything to do with trains, you will find an electronic signaling system to tell you when to go and when to stop. It really isn't as weird as I just made it sound. When the red light is off, the toilet is ready to be used. When you close the lid, the toilet flushes and a red light comes on and remains on until the toilet is ready for use again. This takes less than a minute. If the red light starts flashing, the the toilet has become stuck and you better go get the car attendant. One stuck toilet unattended can stop the plumbing from working throughout the entire Sleeper Car!
I haven't run across this in my limited experience on the CZ and CL, but perhaps some pax think this is the way they all work? This design seems awful goofy.

A quick note about the Superliner toilets that frustrate some people the first time they use one: you won't find any handle or button to flush the toilet! Don't bother looking for one. Just close the lid to the toilet and it will automatically flush. As with everything to do with trains, you will find an electronic signaling system to tell you when to go and when to stop. It really isn't as weird as I just made it sound. When the red light is off, the toilet is ready to be used. When you close the lid, the toilet flushes and a red light comes on and remains on until the toilet is ready for use again. This takes less than a minute. If the red light starts flashing, the the toilet has become stuck and you better go get the car attendant. One stuck toilet unattended can stop the plumbing from working throughout the entire Sleeper Car!
I haven't run across this in my limited experience on the CZ and CL, but perhaps some pax think this is the way they all work? This design seems awful goofy.
same here on all the superliners they use a push button. is this something there installing as the superliners get refurbished.

I've been on many Superliners where closing the lid is what flushed the toilet. I seem to recall that it was the Superliner I's that came that way originally, but I won't swear to that. It might have been the II's, I never paid all that much attention to it.

It's definately not a refurbishment thing though.

in all the superliners i have been on (the TE the SWC) not one car i was in had the close lid to flush. they all had the push button. im going by experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
in all the superliners i have been on (the TE the SWC) not one car i was in had the close lid to flush. they all had the push button. im going by experience.
And I'm not suggesting that you're wrong. Many of them do indeed require you to push the button.

But there are some where there is no button to push and closing the lid is what takes care of business.

My biggest pet peeve is having to knock on the door every time I use the restroom since half the time people don't lock the door. It's not something that Amtrak can change though so it's not worth complaining about.

What Amtrak could fix up are their Amfleet II restrooms. They are in more need of refurbishment than any other equipment. The doors on some of the handicapped accessible restrooms are on the verge of being jammed open, and the small restrooms are even worse. I don't know who came up with that type of door, but all it takes is a little dirt and water to create a sticky, hard to open door. Some people could easily get stuck inside if it's bad enough. The toilets also create this bad odor when you flush it. I'm not sure if it's poor car cleanliness or something else, but I have yet to come across this problem in the Amfleet I.

I agree! :angry: And with those push-up faucets, more water splashes out of the sink than gets on your hands! :rolleyes:
And on some of the faucets, if you leave it on too long, the water will become boiling hot.

same here on all the superliners they use a push button. is this something there installing as the superliners get refurbished.
Nice if the Superliner II toilets actually worked at altitude. Just back fron the CZ and the toilets in my car were out in the Rockies and the Sierras - just not good enough when you've paid for private facilities.

On the other hand it might be an idea to have toilet brushes in the room so you can clean up your own mess if it happens. I really don't like leaving it for someone else to deal with even if they are paid to do it (I used to assist my mother when she was a hotel housekeeper - what a way to spend the school holidays - and some people were just gross).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back