Blackout Buster Bummer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DowneasterPassenger

Lead Service Attendant
I tried to book a trip today Dec. 18 from OKJ to BFD using Select+ rewards Blackout Buster rule.

Unfortunately AGR told me that the Blackout Buster does not apply to Special Routes like the San Joaquin.

Bummer!

Why is the San Joaquin a special route?
All of the Amtrak California routes (and a bunch of others in the midwest and the Downeaster--they are listed on the AGR site) are 'special routes' that normally may be traveled for 1000 points.

But not apparently on blackout days, even with S+ BB.

That really is a bummer, especially given how few perks West Coast elite members get.
Yes. My One-Class Upgrade coupons and Club Acela passes are rotting away in my wallet.
While the upgrades aren't nearly as valuable on the west coast as they are on the east coast on Acela, you can use them to upgrade to business class on the Surfliners.

The Club Acela passes agreed, aren't very useful unless you're near Portland or traveling long distance and not in a sleeper. However, if you need a 10% discount they can come in handy that way. Or if a friend needs a way to get a discount, again they can come in handy.

Back