CA Zephyr to Reno in January

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lisall

Hello, I will be taking my first train in the snow on January 15 from Oakland/Emeryville to Reno.

I am a bit "scared," I know there will be LOTS of snow over Donner Pass during this time of the year, but what would it take for the Zephyr to be "stranded" or severely delayed?

I don't want to be on a train stuck in the mountains w/o power or food for hours at a time.

Has this ever happened in recent times? Should I be worried? Didn't this happen a long time ago to a Union Pacific passenger train in the 50s?

What is the snow forecast looking like for Donner Pass this winter?

By all means, take the trip. That is not to say that there might not be delays: there could be, depending on the weather. But, the chances that you will get stranded are nil. The weather forecasting and snow removal technology have changed a lot since the infamous stranding of the City of San Francisco 57 years ago.

Unless your travelling with someone named George Donner, you will be fine. Better than fine, because winter in the Sierras is a special time, and the view from the train is unsurpassed. This photo is from a trip in January, 2008, just west of Donner Pass:

080110122Mod03.jpg

Take the trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, a train probably gets stranded up there once every fifty years or so, but overall there's no doubt that your odds for a comfortable, spectacular, and on-time trip are far higher on Amtrak than they are on either an airline or on I-80. I've done the route in January, and it's utterly gorgeous. So I'm agreed: take the trip.

BTW, here's a great old newsreel of the time in 1952 when the Southern Pacific's "City of San Francisco" train got stuck:

But, the chances that you will get stranded are nil. The weather forecasting and snow removal technology have changed a lot since the infamous stranding of the City of San Francisco 57 years ago.
Well, I wasn't going to mention it ... but there was that eastbound California Zephyr that got stranded up there overnight in February 2008. :)

Hello, I will be taking my first train in the snow on January 15 from Oakland/Emeryville to Reno.I am a bit "scared," I know there will be LOTS of snow over Donner Pass during this time of the year, but what would it take for the Zephyr to be "stranded" or severely delayed?

I don't want to be on a train stuck in the mountains w/o power or food for hours at a time.

Has this ever happened in recent times? Should I be worried? Didn't this happen a long time ago to a Union Pacific passenger train in the 50s?

What is the snow forecast looking like for Donner Pass this winter?
If you get stranded up in the Donner Pass and you notice that

(i) the dining car doesn't seem to run out of food,

(ii) the dining selections include "mystery meat" not described in detail on the menu, and

(iii) the number of fellow passengers seems to have diminished for no obvious reason,

then you might want to get a bit concerned.

(ii) the dining selections include "mystery meat" not described in detail on the menu, and

(iii) the number of fellow passengers seems to have diminished for no obvious reason,

I disagree. Shut up, and enjoy your mystery meat.

I disagree. Shut up, and enjoy your mystery meat.

"Tastes like chicken..."

I am sure you will be fine.

In December 2006 and December 2008 I did a round-trip to San Fran and back on the California Zephyr and it was absolutely beautiful!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back