Ticket prices

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BLOND37

OBS Chief
ok i will try to keep this question simple.. lets say there are 3 levels of ticket pricing: $100, $200 and $300.

I assume the $100 tickets will be the first to be sold.

then when they are gone $200 will be the next cheapest U can get? etc.

So lets say Bob buys a $100. - the last $100 ticket.

then lets say he returns/cancels his trip... what happens to his $100 ticket?

does it get put back on the market? so then next person who buys a ticket will get the $100 (even though if Bob hadnt returned his ticket that person would have gotten a $200 ticket)

or what?

know what i'm askin?

ok i will try to keep this question simple.. lets say there are 3 levels of ticket pricing: $100, $200 and $300.
I assume the $100 tickets will be the first to be sold.

then when they are gone $200 will be the next cheapest U can get? etc.

So lets say Bob buys a $100. - the last $100 ticket.

then lets say he returns/cancels his trip... what happens to his $100 ticket?

does it get put back on the market? so then next person who buys a ticket will get the $100 (even though if Bob hadnt returned his ticket that person would have gotten a $200 ticket)

or what?

know what i'm askin?
I know what youre asking,Im sure the old pros(are you reading traveler? :lol: )have answers but based

on what Ive been told by agents and conductors the tickets will be sold @ the going rate @ the time AND

based on which agent you get etc!!Most of the time the fares will depend on how full the train is,

and in the case of an upgrade on board of course the upgrade will be sold based on the low bucket rail fare

and the upgrade @ the current price!Confused?AMTRAK agents do business this way! :blink:

does it get put back on the market? so then next person who buys a ticket will get the $100 (even though if Bob hadn't returned his ticket that person would have gotten a $200 ticket)
As we have had it explained to us before, that $100 ticket stays a $100 ticket. Even if they were up into the $300 tickets being sold, once it goes back into the system the next person to come along lucks out and gets it for $100 and not $300.

We see that with sleeping car rooms from time to time. They will be in a high bucket and all of a sudden one can be had a low bucket.

You also have travel agents who reserve (not print out) a bunch of tickets anticipating they will sell them to a tour group. They don't and cancel and they go back at low bucket.

If Bob buys a low bucket ticket ($100) and the tickets rise to a higher bucket, that is normal. Then Bob returns his ticket and gets $100 - it is still a low bucket ($100) which will be sold to the next LUCKY purchaser for $100

That is my understanding of the situation.

(are you reading traveler? :lol: )
Present! :lol:

Jim is right! When a ticket is cancelled, that room or seat goes back into inventory at the original price paid! That's why you may find a roomette available for $200 for your trip next month - when 9 months ago you paid $360!

so if i have paid proper homage to the ticket gods, it wouldnt hurt to keep checking back for a lower priced ticket :)

When is the payment card debited? Is it when the booking is made, or the ticket is printed?
Ed :cool:
Booked.

Jim is right! When a ticket is cancelled, that room or seat goes back into inventory at the original price paid! That's why you may find a roomette available for $200 for your trip next month - when 9 months ago you paid $360!

so if i have paid proper homage to the ticket gods, it wouldnt hurt to keep checking back for a lower priced ticket :)
Yes.

Who is Jim??? jimhudson???? I really don't think he is right

I know what youre asking,Im sure the old pros(are you reading traveler? :lol: )have answers but basedon what Ive been told by agents and conductors the tickets will be sold @ the going rate @ the time AND

based on which agent you get etc!!Most of the time the fares will depend on how full the train is,

and in the case of an upgrade on board of course the upgrade will be sold based on the low bucket rail fare and the upgrade @ the current price!Confused?AMTRAK agents do business this way! :blink:
No, If I understand what he is saying, I don't think it is correct :(

Who is Jim??? jimhudson???? I really don't think he is right

I know what youre asking,Im sure the old pros(are you reading traveler? :lol: )have answers but basedon what Ive been told by agents and conductors the tickets will be sold @ the going rate @ the time AND

and in the case of an upgrade on board of course the upgrade will be sold based on the low bucket rail fare and the upgrade @ the current price!Confused?AMTRAK agents do business this way! :blink:
No, If I understand what he is saying, I don't think it is correct :(
Yes.its Jim Hudson and I was trying to be funny and informative!Mr. FSS is correct,so is the traveler!

A $100 icket is a $100 ticket no matter when its Bought?Printed so Ill tune out/the old pros are correct

and my weak attempt @ humour was just that! :lol:

I just did this very thing in July. I paid $538:00 for a roomette on the EB in May 09, plus rail fare. For a total of $ 896:00. 10 hours before leaving the price of the roomette droped to the low bucket of $ 216:00. I called and cancled that res. and made a new one for the new lower price. The agent did not even change the res. number. He refunded the original price and charged me the new lower price. He was compleatly aware of what was going on and commended me for catching the price change. This was for travel on the 4 th July. There may have been a lot of canclelations on that day as it was a holiday. :)

Can I pitch out another related question. I booked travel on the SWC in early August in a economy bedroom, at what I think is a low bucket price. Was toying with upgrading to a full bedroom, but the current price listed is over $1200. If that room were available when we board, and we asked the conductor to upgrade, would the upgrade be at the same price as on line now, or would it be discounted to the low bucket price?

In a related fare matter: in a previous post the traveler :) said hed never seen a lounge lizard

ticket sold!On the CONOL last week I watched in the CCC while the conductor sold tickets to

two guys who got on in some stop in the Delta of Mississsippi,he told them there were no seats in

coach,the train was sold out?When one guy asked about first class the conductor got out his

book,did some figuring/called someone? on his phone and told the guy it would be $55 to NOL?

The guy said "What if I rode here in the cafe?"The conductor did some more figuring then told the

guy it would be $16!!The guy took it,spent the rest of the trip drinking beer in the car till it closed,

dont know what happened to the other guy,he disappeared!Is this allowed or something new?? :cool:

Can I pitch out another related question. I booked travel on the SWC in early August in a economy bedroom, at what I think is a low bucket price. Was toying with upgrading to a full bedroom, but the current price listed is over $1200. If that room were available when we board, and we asked the conductor to upgrade, would the upgrade be at the same price as on line now, or would it be discounted to the low bucket price?
If that room was still available after you board AND the Conductor want to do the paperwork and sell it (some don't "want the bother" :rolleyes: ), that room should be sold at LOW bucket! (If that Conductor won't sell it, ask the next Conductor after a crew change! ;) )

If you ask at the station walking out to the train, the ticket agent must charge the current bucket. However, once you step aboard the train, the price drops to low bucket! :)

If that room was still available after you board AND the Conductor want to do the paperwork and sell it (some don't "want the bother" :rolleyes: ), that room should be sold at LOW bucket! (If that Conductor won't sell it, ask the next Conductor after a crew change! ;) )

If you ask at the station walking out to the train, the ticket agent must charge the current bucket. However, once you step aboard the train, the price drops to low bucket! :)
That's correct - On the CONO in June I had a low bucket roomette. As soon as I boarded and the Asst Conductor took my ticket I asked if any bedrooms left. He said - one - and I could have it for the difference in my low bucket price and the low bucket of the bedroom. I took it!

DITTO!!!!!!! :cool: :angry: :unsure: :) :eek:

On the CS two weeks ago we had lunch with a couple from San Jose who told us they paid $8 for an upgrade

from Coach to a roomette from LAX to San Jose which is a real deal since it includes meals and the PPC!

They had booked a high bucket coach and so got the deal on the difference in fares! :cool:

When is the payment card debited? Is it when the booking is made, or the ticket is printed?
When you purchase the reservation. You can 1) make a reservation and purchase the ticket later (Amtrak sets a purchase deadline) or purchase the ticket at the time you make the reservation. The ticket is already paid for when you pick up the paper tickets at the station or from the Quik-Trak machine.

When you purchase the reservation. You can 1) make a reservation and purchase the ticket later (Amtrak sets a purchase deadline) or purchase the ticket at the time you make the reservation. The ticket is already paid for when you pick up the paper tickets at the station or from the Quik-Trak machine.
IIRC, you can only do the former (make a reservation and purchase the ticket later) by calling Amtrak or, possibly, in person at a ticket counter (or perhaps at a travel agent, if your local travel agent even knows how to book Amtrak reservations). If you buy via Amtrak.com, it forces you to buy the ticket when making the reservation.

You're correct.

If you want (or need) to wait to pay for your ticket, you must call and speak to an agent. But then they give you a time limit to pay by (such as 7 days from now). When you go to the station, your tickets will be printed. (There's no way around it! :( ) Even if your trip is in 8 months! But if you order online, you do have to pay then, but you can chose "pick up at station", and print them out 8 months from now! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back