National Train Day At L.A.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoozOn1st

Engineer
Honored Member
As I'm sure most everybody who frequents these forums is aware by now, Saturday, May 9, 2009 is National Train Day.

To celebrate the occasion here in L.A., local AU member sportbiker (Mark) and myself have cooked up a little riding (quadruple AGR points!)

and dinner excursion from Los Angeles Union Station to Fullerton, and we're inviting all SoCal AU members, guests, and anybody else whooz

interested to join us.

Union Station festivities begin at 10 a.m. Click the link above for details of tours, exhibits, and other cool stuff.

I plan to ride Pacific Surfliner 768 to be on hand early for all the fun, and will be in and around, out and about, here and there, all day except

for maybe a French dip sandwich lunch break down the street at Philippe's.

Train Day observances at Union Station are scheduled to conclude at 3 p.m., but for us the fun won't end there. No sir!

We'll ride Pacific Surfliner 580 (3 p.m. departure) to Fullerton. I'm sure many of us have been THROUGH Fullerton, but doubt many of us have

ever been TO Fullerton. I sure haven't. So the plan is to ride 580 TO Fullerton, which is something of a local railfan Mecca, explore the scene,

and enjoy dinner at The Old Spaghetti Factory, which is right by the station.

After the meal I'll be heading home aboard Surfliner 785, but of course all can make their own homebound arrangements.

It'd be cool for folks who would like to join us to send PMs to me regarding plans and timing (mainly for restaurant reservation purposes), but

it's not absolutely necessary. Just show up and have some fun!

And oh yeah: FREE FEZZES will be available (while supplies last).

An Amtrak e-mail today adds some detail about National Train Day events at L.A.:

Discover the Rail Way on National Train Day

Join Amtrak in celebration of America's love for rail travel during the second annual National Train Day. Come enjoy an experience for the whole family: live musical entertainment by Matt Costa and Chana, as well as numerous educational and interactive displays about the past, present and future of train travel.

Event Details:

May 9, 2009, 10 am - 3 pm

Union Station

800 North Alameda Street

Los Angeles, CA 90012

Train enthusiasts will enjoy an interactive Eco Exhibit, displays of model railroads as well as real Amtrak and historic train cars, paintings from notable train artist, J. Craig Thorpe and more. Bring the young ones to the Amtrakids Depot for educational hands-on activities, appearances by Radio Disney's Rockin' Road Crew, magicians and face painters. Amtrak employees, such as train engineers and conductors, will also be on hand to answer questions

lol well I'd love to join ya'll but it would b quite a treekf or me to the west coast. So anyone want meet in PHL just PM me. Plan to hit up some Keystone Corridor to bask in 4x AGR POINT GLORY!

well I'd love to join ya'll but it would b quite a treekf or me to the west coast.
Too bad, Dude, cuz there's a nasty rumor that Miley Cyrus (Hannah Montana) might make an appearance. I figure she's about your speed.
Nah no thanks she's really for me. I don't think teenagers with split personalities would make things easier. :lol: :lol: At least a PHL they have pullman porters giving speeches thats more my style.

To celebrate the occasion here in L.A., local AU member sportbiker (Mark) and myself have cooked up a little riding (quadruple AGR points!) and dinner excursion from Los Angeles Union Station to Fullerton, and we're inviting all SoCal AU members, guests, and anybody else whooz

interested to join us.
Gladly. Count me in (partially...read on :p )
I plan to ride Pacific Surfliner 768 to be on hand early for all the fun, and will be in and around, out and about, here and there, all day except for maybe a French dip sandwich lunch break down the street at Philippe's.
As do I (plan on 768, that is)...though more briefly than you (the whole 6 miles from Glendale :p ), but toying with the idea of taking 799 up to Van Nuys first to see if they have anything there and/or breakfast at Carl's Jr. :p So depending what I decide, we'll share either 11 or 35 minutes of train-riding goodness.And of course the festivities.

As well as Philippes, perhaps, depending on how early you go (I'll be leaving Union Station at 12:25).

Train Day observances at Union Station are scheduled to conclude at 3 p.m., but for us the fun won't end there. No sir!
My already-ticketed escape from LA's festivities differs there: 774 to Santa Ana (the only other station at which I noticed any overt 'celebration' [read: a bunch of literature and other tchotchkes on a table before the ticket counters]), thence 775 all the way up to Oxnard (which seems like it might be 'important' enough to have something similar) before 792 back to Glendale.
And oh yeah: FREE FEZZES will be available (while supplies last).
I'm torn about that one. :p I'd cherish it, but not sure if I could bring myself to wear it. My eccentricities probably outnumber yours, but they're all invisible. :p
Too bad, Dude, cuz there's a nasty rumor that Miley Cyrus (Hannah Montana) might make an appearance. I figure she's about your speed.
A quick Google image search tells me there's nothing wrong with Matt Costa, either...but I digress. :p

Alright chuljin!! (see above) More here as things develop. I believe we have several AU members out in the Inland Empire. IIRC one of them posted recently about a family weekend jaunt to L.A. aboard Metrolink, which is certainly an option for those who live further out along lines that have weekend Metrolink service; my Ventura County Line and the Riverside Line are the only ones that don't.

BTW, Chris, spotted you on the platform at Glendale last Thursday, from Surfliner 785's Superliner coach on the return from San Diego. Had you been aboard 785? Don't tell me you're such an elitist dog that you ride BC LAX-GDL! Exclaimed to my pal Joe, "Hey, I know that guy!" "You lie. What guy?" "Right there, lightin' up the smoke. He's one of our Amtrak Unlimited guys." :D

BTW, Chris, spotted you on the platform at Glendale last Thursday, from Surfliner 785's Superliner coach on the return from San Diego. Had you been aboard 785? Don't tell me you're such an elitist dog that you ride BC LAX-GDL! Exclaimed to my pal Joe, "Hey, I know that guy!" "You lie. What guy?" "Right there, lightin' up the smoke. He's one of our Amtrak Unlimited guys." :D
Indeed...as on every weekday, that's how I got home from work: 785 LAX-GDL.

And I like BC, but $10 to upgrade a $2.70 ticket would be an absurd waste of money (yet I notice that if you're screwed into the highest bucket, that could be the approximate accomodation-to-railfare ratio for an LD sleeper :p ). I'd have just poured the wine at GDL. :p

No, coach on such short trips (typically, seat 33 in the cafe car).

My typical MO is to write down the consist (for example, I know that you were in 34967 'Sycamore Grove' [as listed here and described in more detail, by our own sportbiker here] :p ), and sometimes (including that day) wait for 798 to take me back to LAX, thence Metrolink 221 back to GDL, and then finally go home. :p Spring Promo, after all. :p

Alright chuljin!! (see above) More here as things develop. I believe we have several AU members out in the Inland Empire. IIRC one of them posted recently about a family weekend jaunt to L.A. aboard Metrolink, which is certainly an option for those who live further out along lines that have weekend Metrolink service; my Ventura County Line and the Riverside Line are the only ones that don't.
Er...and...as a substitute for the Ventura County Line, 700-series Surfliners are something of a substitute, if an inadequate one;

I also just noticed that the 1st and 3rd 'inbound' San Bernardino trains on Saturday actually start in Riverside (I guess they wye [probably misusing that term] or something at San Bernardino; and the 1:20 and 3:25 'outbound' SB trains go to Riverside. Alternately, there's a 'pseudo-91' routing using the IEOC line, connecting with a Metrolink OC at Orange or, more likely (to avoid missing most of the fun and/or sitting at the facilityless Orange station for a uselessly long time) Surfliner at Santa Ana. This, of course, does little good for people at Pedley, Industry, or Montebello/Commerce, but people who'd otherwise board a Riverside train at East Ontario or Downtown Pomona have Upland and Pomona North, respectively, a short distance north.

And, of course, for people at Riverside or San Bernardino with good reliable alarm clocks (5:53a and 5:32a, respectively), there's the SWC. I don't think it would surprise me if some people came to the festivities that way from that 'close' (in LD train terms)!

Latest list of equipment to be on display at Union Station:

Overland Trail

Scottish Thistle

Operation Lifesaver Wrapped Locomotive

GM & O 50

Steam Locomotive (almost surely Santa Fe 3751, which lives at Amtrak's L.A. shops)

Superliner and Surfliner Cars

Overland Trail

Scottish Thistle

GM & O 50

Steam Locomotive (almost surely Santa Fe 3751, which lives at Amtrak's L.A. shops)

The list (which you thoughtfully summarized) shows more detail about the Amtrak cars, including:

that page said:
Superliner "Empire" Sleeper
What makes a sleeper an "Empire" sleeper?

Overland Trail

Scottish Thistle

GM & O 50

What is a "GM & O 50"?

The list (which you thoughtfully summarized) shows more detail about the Amtrak cars, including:
that page said:
It is one of the Superliner I cars that were remodeled with the blue-wood-and-white interior scheme either for the Empire Builder, or to the same specs as the cars for the Empire Builder. We usually simply refer to them as "Superliner I Sleeper refurb" but that's Amtrak's internal name for it.

It is one of the Superliner I cars that were remodeled with the blue-wood-and-white interior scheme either for the Empire Builder, or to the same specs as the cars for the Empire Builder. We usually simply refer to them as "Superliner I Sleeper refurb" but that's Amtrak's internal name for it.
Ah, thank you. :)

that page said:
Amtrak's internal name is confusing, ambiguous, and stupid. <_<

Overland Trail

Scottish Thistle

GM & O 50

What is a "GM & O 50"?
A private car.
I suppose the GM&O part of that refers to the old Gulf Mobile and Ohio RR.
If you look it up on the roster-- it will probably say what it is configured for... business is what its configuration IIRC when I first looked it up-- however I can't find it since that first search.

that page said:
The first permanent assignment for refurbished Superliner I sleepers was with the Empire Builder. Not so confusing, ambiguous, or stupid.

that page said:
The first permanent assignment for refurbished Superliner I sleepers was with the Empire Builder. Not so confusing, ambiguous, or stupid.
Uhuh.

So when they get more of these out and put them on the CS or CZ are we supposed to still call them "Empire" sleepers? Because they won't be anymore.

How about we call them what they are, eh? Superliner I refurbished sleepers.

that page said:
Uhuh.

So when they get more of these out and put them on the CS or CZ are we supposed to still call them "Empire" sleepers? Because they won't be anymore.

How about we call them what they are, eh? Superliner I refurbished sleepers.
"Empire sleeper" is so much shorter and easier than "Superliner I refurbished sleeper". Perhaps when, and if, Amtrak finished refurbishing all the Superliner I sleepers, the "Empire" designation can be dropped.

"Empire sleeper" is so much shorter and easier than "Superliner I refurbished sleeper". Perhaps when, and if, Amtrak finished refurbishing all the Superliner I sleepers, the "Empire" designation can be dropped.
Well yeah, except when we refer to them, its not as a label, it is a referenced so we usually just use the last one, as in: "On the CL my sleeper was a refurb." As opposed to, "On the CL, my sleeper an 'Empire' sleeper."

Well yeah, except when we refer to them, its not as a label, it is a referenced so we usually just use the last one, as in: "On the CL my sleeper was a refurb." As opposed to, "On the CL, my sleeper an 'Empire' sleeper."
That's us, railfans and maybe the general public. That's not Amtrak, and it's Amtrak that's using that designation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back