Car Rental at WRJ Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walt

Lead Service Attendant
My recent Amtrak trip took me to White River Junction, VT, on the Vermonter. The Vermonter is scheduled to arrive at WRJ at 6:55pm, but is usually about an hour later than that.

In preparing my trip, I called several car rental places in and around WRJ to inquire around renting a car when I got off at the Amtrak station. They all initially told me "no problem", but as I got into the details, I found that they all closed at 6pm. No exceptions. I got into a few discussions with them, inquiring on how exactly do they claim to support the Amtrak station, when they close well before the train actually arrives. That got me no where.

In desperation, I called the WRJ station itself. That was no small feet, because just about every place I found while searching for the WRJ station, listed Amtrak's regular "800" number, and not the station's own number. However, I finally found it. Anyway, calling the station itself yielded very little. I had hope that the person there, would have had some knowledge or experience about any local car rental agency that would service passengers arriving on the Vermonter. However, the only suggestion he could offer me, was to try car rental agencies in nearby NH and the airport located there. I called them, and found that they too all closed at 6pm.

I was just about to give up, and I made one last call. That was to Thrifty Car Rental in WRJ.

Wow, they do support people arriving on the Vermonter!

Thrifty, too, closes at 6pm. However, what they do is to leave the car and the paperwork at the front desk of Comfort Inn hotel next door. Plus, they arrange for a taxi to pick you up at the WRJ station, and bring you over to the Comfort Inn, at their own expense.

I don't want to sound like an ad for Thrifty, but I thought I would record here the info, with the hopes that if someone else ever needs to rent a car at WRJ, they might find this thread/posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back