amenities on "new" coast starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yarrow

Engineer
far ne washington state, 1/2 mile from canada
Beginning in mid-2008, rediscover the Coast Starlight. This legendary train will feature enhanced Coaches and Sleeping Cars, along with exclusive new amenities. The Dining Car will offer fresh, regional cuisine, while the Arcade Room will entertain kids of all ages with a great selection of arcade-style video games. Sleeping Car passengers can enjoy Happy Hour specials and a daily tasting of local wines in the refurbished Pacific Parlor Car, which also will offer a specialty coffee bar, onboard theater and alternative dining venue.

coast starlight from amtrak website

Beginning in mid-2008, rediscover the Coast Starlight. This legendary train will feature enhanced Coaches and Sleeping Cars, along with exclusive new amenities. The Dining Car will offer fresh, regional cuisine, while the Arcade Room will entertain kids of all ages with a great selection of arcade-style video games. Sleeping Car passengers can enjoy Happy Hour specials and a daily tasting of local wines in the refurbished Pacific Parlor Car, which also will offer a specialty coffee bar, onboard theater and alternative dining venue.
coast starlight from amtrak website
;) God Willing, I'll be on it Sept 6th!

I'm taking this train with my young daughter on the 23rd of this month from LA to Portland! I can't wait!! I'll be certain to give a report... :)

I doubt you will find that on the 23'd of this month. I think the soonest rollout is in May somewhere?

I'm taking this train with my young daughter on the 23rd of this month from LA to Portland! I can't wait!! I'll be certain to give a report... :)
Mommie to 5, I'm taking the exact same trip on June 26 with my 9 and 7 yr old girls. Hope it goes well and am looking forward to hear how it goes.

Is the Arcade Room supposed to be the replacement for the "Kiddie Car" playroom?

I doubt you will find that on the 23'd of this month. I think the soonest rollout is in May somewhere?

As of now, the Amtrak site still says April 22nd, so the CS may be running on the 23rd. Another thread mentions that the UP may start running trains sometime soon, possibly even this weekend. So MAYBE.

I had heard about the refurbished Pacific Parlour Cars, and the arcade car. What piqued my interest was the mention of the other upgrades - does anyone know about the "enhanced Coaches and Sleeping Cars", the "alternative dining venue" in the PPC, or the "fresh, regional cuisine" in the dining car (I thought the CS was on SDS)?

I had heard about the refurbished Pacific Parlour Cars, and the arcade car. What piqued my interest was the mention of the other upgrades - does anyone know about the "enhanced Coaches and Sleeping Cars", the "alternative dining venue" in the PPC, or the "fresh, regional cuisine" in the dining car (I thought the CS was on SDS)?
The CS is on SDS, but I believe that it will go over to the EB style of doing things with the relaunch. The enhanced Coaches and sleeping cars are supposed to be just like those on the EB.

The CS is on SDS, but I believe that it will go over to the EB style of doing things with the relaunch. The enhanced Coaches and sleeping cars are supposed to be just like those on the EB.
Can you please enlighten me on what the enhanced coaches pn the EB you are referring to have on them? Am curious since I'm riding the CS in June.

Can you please enlighten me on what the enhanced coaches pn the EB you are referring to have on them? Am curious since I'm riding the CS in June.
when the eb was relaunched the sleepers had new interior trim and some of the bathrooms had new fixtures. the coaches were maybe spruced up a little but nothing to make them different from any others. i would guess the cs will be the same.

from the above blurb about the pacific parlour car, i assume it will be once again staffed.

when the eb was relaunched the sleepers had new interior trim and some of the bathrooms had new fixtures. the coaches were maybe spruced up a little but nothing to make them different from any others. i would guess the cs will be the same.

from the above blurb about the pacific parlour car, i assume it will be once again staffed.
On the revamped cars, are there now power outlets at every seat?

On the revamped cars, are there now power outlets at every seat?
not on the refurbished eb coaches

I've heard that Amtrak plans to re-launch all of its trains, one a year, working from the most popular down to the least popular. Has anyone else heard anything about this?
Nope, the only thing that I've heard was a hoped for relaunching of the Capitol Limited.

And it would seem impossible now to relaunch the City and the Eagle, now that both have been downgraded. Amtrak would have to start undoing all the work done to create the CCC's in order to relaunch the City & the Eagle.

I've heard that Amtrak plans to re-launch all of its trains, one a year, working from the most popular down to the least popular. Has anyone else heard anything about this?
I read somewhere, wish I could remember where, from an Amtrak official that with the great success of the upgrades on the EB making it kind of the premier train of the West, that they see the Capitol Limited as having potential to become the premier train of the East. Don't know that that translates into any possible action. That time-keeping isn't so good some months is an obstacle for throwing any money into CL (remember, EB OTP is great and CS is vastly improved in time for their "re-launches"). For my part, the CL would seem like a great next step.

And it would seem impossible now to relaunch the City and the Eagle, now that both have been downgraded. Amtrak would have to start undoing all the work done to create the CCC's in order to relaunch the City & the Eagle.
I don't see how that follows. Couldn't either, or both, trains be "relaunched" with CCC but also refurbished coaches and sleepers, and maybe even an unmanned Sightseer car as a lounge-only (no cafe) car? Half a loaf is still better than none, and refurbished coaches and sleepers would be a measureable improvement worth promoting by itself.

I don't see how that follows. Couldn't either, or both, trains be "relaunched" with CCC but also refurbished coaches and sleepers, and maybe even an unmanned Sightseer car as a lounge-only (no cafe) car? Half a loaf is still better than none, and refurbished coaches and sleepers would be a measureable improvement worth promoting by itself.
Well at least under the current definition of "re-launching" a train; that means full service dining, enhanced Sightseer lounge car, refurbished Superliner sleepers. So a train with a CCC would meet that definition.

Besides relaunching entails increasing ammenties and services. The CCC is all about decreasing ammenities and services.

Last edited by a moderator:
This might be a little out of place for the time that I'm mentioning this, but where are they planning on putting the "arcade" at?? It seems to me that the promised movie theater takes up the first floor of the PPC and the cafe does the same in the Lounge. Are they planning on removing the cafe or do they just plan on only selling snacks upstairs?..... or do they just mean placing a game or two downstairs in place of, say a table?

This might be a little out of place for the time that I'm mentioning this, but where are they planning on putting the "arcade" at?? It seems to me that the promised movie theater takes up the first floor of the PPC and the cafe does the same in the Lounge. Are they planning on removing the cafe or do they just plan on only selling snacks upstairs?..... or do they just mean placing a game or two downstairs in place of, say a table?
The arcade is going into what was the kiddie car. So it will have no effect on the PPC or the Sightseer Lounge cars.

Just a note about outlets. The CL and the CZ both had every seat outlets as of 4-9 April 08. I was on both the CL and the CZ on those dates and made it a point to look. :)

A few of you on this forum asked for pictures. I just finished a trip on the Coast Starlight from L.A. to Portland. Whilst I know that it's been a full year since this post was started, I still figure the pictures may be welcome for I found it a really rewarding and excellent way to travel:
http://blog.reevestech.net/2009/04/sleeper...oast-starlight/
Thanks for the update-we will be riding th CS July 1st & 11th. We are so excited. First train trip!! Great pics of Mount Shasta!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back