Jump to content
Acela150

Solari Board at PHL

Recommended Posts

How much has ridership declined because of the loss of flowers in the diner? Or ppc cars? Or the pillows in coach? 
The solari boards were just one of those little things that made train travel unique and charming.  
Eventually, if you cut all of the charming things out, I think ridership will decline.
i know I have started flying more than I ever thought I would... it wasn’t the Solaris board that made me fly more, but it was the loss of several of the little things and the inconsistency of employees. 


So let me get this straight? You think that ridership at the 3rd busiest Amtrak Station in the nation will drop because of the removal of the Solari Board? Yeah that makes sense.

Ridership didn’t decline because they removed flowers from the dining cars. That’s just insane if you think that is a legit reason why ridership declined. A legitimate reason is that the train was annulled for 3 days, etc. NOT the removal of flowers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first monitor was installed on the west side of the new main PIDS board(where the Solari board was). That monitor is one of nine in a 3x3 grid that will be on each side for a total of 18 screens that will make up the two main displays. Very similar to the look of NYP’s displays, except the boards are staying back to back unlike in NYP where they went on opposing ends of the concourse. PIDS: Passenger Information Display System is the modern term Amtrak uses in place of Solari.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Acela150 said:

 


So let me get this straight? You think that ridership at the 3rd busiest Amtrak Station in the nation will drop because of the removal of the Solari Board? Yeah that makes sense. emoji849.png

Ridership didn’t decline because they removed flowers from the dining cars. That’s just insane if you think that is a legit reason why ridership declined. A legitimate reason is that the train was annulled for 3 days, etc. NOT the removal of flowers.

No one said that ridership declined specifically because of Solari board, flowers or even OTP.  What they are trying to say is these things become part of a cumulative effect. In other words, the death of thousand cuts.

For some, this is step towards modernization and updating the look and travel experience while for others, it is another brick in the wall.

Edited by Thirdrail7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Acela150 said:

 


So let me get this straight? You think that ridership at the 3rd busiest Amtrak Station in the nation will drop because of the removal of the Solari Board? Yeah that makes sense. emoji849.png

Ridership didn’t decline because they removed flowers from the dining cars. That’s just insane if you think that is a legit reason why ridership declined. A legitimate reason is that the train was annulled for 3 days, etc. NOT the removal of flowers.

 

How did you get that from what I wrote? Of course I don’t think it will affect ridership. Nor did the flowers.  

None of these little things directly affect ridership. It’s all these little things that help make train travel charming.  You take all of them away, eventually you have a product that is much less unique, and less special.  If the product is less special it may eventually lead to fewer riders. (Not talking about the commuter traffic of course). 

I still miss the conductors punching tickets,  but I also love the convenience of having my ticket on my iPhone. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, crescent-zephyr said:

How much has ridership declined because of the loss of flowers in the diner? Or ppc cars? Or the pillows in coach? 

The solari boards were just one of those little things that made train travel unique and charming.  

Eventually, if you cut all of the charming things out, I think ridership will decline.

i know I have started flying more than I ever thought I would... it wasn’t the Solaris board that made me fly more, but it was the loss of several of the little things and the inconsistency of employees. 

 

45 minutes ago, crescent-zephyr said:

How did you get that from what I wrote? Of course I don’t think it will affect ridership. Nor did the flowers.  

None of these little things directly affect ridership. 

To me you're implying that ridership has dropped because of the removal of the flowers, PPC, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Acela150 said:

To me you're implying that ridership has dropped because of the removal of the flowers, PPC, etc. 

It's difficult for me to quantify how much each individual change and reduction affects my travel but over time my enthusiasm has continued to fall as more and more amenities are diluted or abandoned altogether.  Where I live Amtrak is not fast or cheap or plentiful.  It's slow, expensive, and infrequent.  I previously rode Amtrak long distance service several times every single year but these days I ride a lot less than I used to.  I guess if you mainly ride commuter trains then it's hard to comprehend what motivates and annoys long distance sleeper passengers.  Just like how I have little knowledge of what motivates or annoys commuter passengers since there are no such services where I live.

Edited by Devil's Advocate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Acela150 said:

To me you're implying that ridership has dropped because of the removal of the flowers, PPC, etc.

He said:

17 hours ago, crescent-zephyr said:

Eventually, if you cut all of the charming things out, I think ridership will decline.

That is VERY different from what you think he meant. Crescent is not saying that ridership has dropped from any particular minor cut, but rather that if train travel ends up losing all the little (and big) things that makes it special, ridership likely will decline. As DA and Thirdrail said, this is death by a thousand cuts which likely can have a cumulative effect that will cause ridership to decline. There is going to be a breaking point for many riders; the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cpotisch said:

He said:

That is VERY different from what you think he meant. Crescent is not saying that ridership has dropped from any particular minor cut, but rather that if train travel ends up losing all the little (and big) things that makes it special, ridership likely will decline. As DA and Thirdrail said, this is death by a thousand cuts which likely can have a cumulative effect that will cause ridership to decline. There is going to be a breaking point for many riders; the straw that breaks the camel's back.

You also missed the very first sentence of the post. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×