Solari Board at PHL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed. Just looks totally out of place.
Um, the old Solari board was not part of 30th St. Station when the place opened in the 1930s.  Train status was displayed on a chalkboard, with manually written notices.  They had employees whose jobs were to constantly write, erase, and rewrite train status information.  They were doing this into the 1970s. I remember it, and was amazed at the chalkboard penmanship of some of those guys.  I wonder if there were rail fans back then complaining about the newfangled and out of place Solari board.

Indeed. Just looks totally out of place.
Um, the old Solari board was not part of 30th St. Station when the place opened in the 1930s.  Train status was displayed on a chalkboard, with manually written notices.  They had employees whose jobs were to constantly write, erase, and rewrite train status information.  They were doing this into the 1970s. I remember it, and was amazed at the chalkboard penmanship of some of those guys.  I wonder if there were rail fans back then complaining about the newfangled and out of place Solari board.
Another chalkboard would definitely fit better there than that TV.

A chalkboard is still at the Amtrak level of 30th St. hidden around the staircase to the SEPTA regional rail area. Sometimes it had crazy stuff written on it.

Status Chalkboard.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone point me to the official law/regulation that governs railroad signage for passengers pursuant to ADA?

One of the given reasons for removing the various solari boards was that a blind person needed to hear the information because they can't see it. I think the new signs which have been put up in place of the solari boards make audible announcements of the "messages" but perhaps not the arrival and departure information. Can anyone clarify which audible information the new signs provide as well?

Thanks,
jb

Back