Eagle Schedule Change

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulDobbs

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I am ticketed on train 21 from CHI to FTW June 3rd for the last leg of a lengthy trip. Today I got an email and a phone call with notice of a schedule change, plus an email with a new eTicket. It seems that 21 is leaving CHI at 2:45 (and arriving at FTW at 2:25), one hour late, on that day. Anyone know why the change?

I am ticketed on train 21 from CHI to FTW June 3rd for the last leg of a lengthy trip. Today I got an email and a phone call with notice of a schedule change, plus an email with a new eTicket. It seems that 21 is leaving CHI at 2:45 (and arriving at FTW at 2:25), one hour late, on that day. Anyone know why the change?
I'm on the Eagle southbound from St. Louis on Monday the 29th (this month). I just got notice that I'll be leaving an hour later due to track work. Looks like I'll have to make other arrangements for dinner.

It may be trackwork, it may be a schedule change? I will be traveling from Bloomington on the 31st and just got notification that I will be leaving there at 5:04 rather than the usual 4:04.

(That is, unless the usual delay happens - the Eagle is almost always late coming in to Bloomington from Chicago)

I go up there on the 15th and will be bused from St. Louis to Bloomington. Oh well. Better the last leg of my trip up than the first leg of my trip back home....

There is the detour May 15th - 24th. and the TE schedule has not been updated. It appears that there is a Service Advisory that Amtrak is late in posting for the end of May to beginning of June.

Appears that 22 arrives Chicago 1 hour earlier during this short time frame. 21 leaves CHI 1 hour later/22 arrives CHI 1 hour earlier

Last edited by a moderator:
I am travelling on the TE from LA to CHI June 2-5 and also received notice that it will be arriving in CHI on the 5th one hour early. I'll take it as I am scheduled out on the CL at 6:30 that evening. But it seems odd that the schedule is bumped up an hour; typically, as well all know, it's later with track work. Nevertheless, one can never predict how the work will affect travel so I am just hoping I won't get screwed up and miss the CL. the frustrating part about all this is Amtrak never seems to inform its agents about this and they have no information on the rest of the schedule.

Looks like track work between STL and CHI. The bridge near Cleburne, Texas, better be repaired soon, else the Eagle will have delays on both ends.

The beginning of June track work is east of Dallas and west of Texarkana, 22 will arrive one hour early and 21 will depart 1 hour late. If you are arriving CHI early you shouldn't have any problems meeting the CL.

This is an email I got from a friend. Looks like a nice detour for some rare mileage on the original Texas Eagle route. Bus bridge between Longview and Taylor if any of those are your stops.

Upcoming Texas Eagle detour in Texas. Beginning with train 21 on May 24, continuing through and including train 21 of June 21, (22 of May 25 through June 22), the Texas Eagle will take an alternate route through parts of Texas. After Longview, at Big Sandy, train 21 will travel on the former Cotton Belt to Tyler, the former SP to Corsicana, the former T&NO to Hearne and the former MP to Taylor TX, to rejoin the usual route to Austin and San Antonio. During this time, the train will operate one hour later between Chicago and Taylor. Train 22 will divert from the usual route at Taylor, operating on the former Missouri Pacific through Palestine direct to Longview. Train 22 will operate its regular times San Antonio to Taylor, but will operate one hour earlier from Longview to Chicago. Passengers on train 21 for stations Mineola-Temple will detrain at Longview for charter bus service to destination. Passengers on train 22 for stations Temple-Mineola will detrain at Austin for charter bus service to destination. This detour will provide the opportunity for some unusual mileage for rare mileage fans.

This is an email I got from a friend. Looks like a nice detour for some rare mileage on the original Texas Eagle route. Bus bridge between Longview and Taylor if any of those are your stops.

Train 22 will divert from the usual route at Taylor, operating on the former Missouri Pacific through Palestine direct to Longview. Train 22 will operate its regular times San Antonio to Taylor, but will operate one hour earlier from Longview to Chicago. Passengers on train 21 for stations Mineola-Temple will detrain at Longview for charter bus service to destination. Passengers on train 22 for stations Temple-Mineola will detrain at Austin for charter bus service to destination. This detour will provide the opportunity for some unusual mileage for rare mileage fans.
Thank you for the great information! Now I know what makes this board to terrific. So this means I miss Fort Worth and Dallas? Darn. Was most of my point of going via the TE. Oh well. Whole lot more of nothing in east Texas. :unsure:

I think the TE leaving CHI an hour (or two) later should be considered on a permanent basis. It gives an extra hour leeway in CHI from a CL/LSL delay and cuts the layover in SAS. I remember a schedule where the TE left around 3:40pm once.

I think the TE leaving CHI an hour (or two) later should be considered on a permanent basis. It gives an extra hour leeway in CHI from a CL/LSL delay and cuts the layover in SAS. I remember a schedule where the TE left around 3:40pm once.
Yup, the Eagle used to make connections to the western LD trains. I would love to get a connection back to the Empire Builder as connections to MSP are pretty popular with Texas Eagle patrons. It was a tight connection and always missed so Amtrak just broke it off anyways and hasn't been back since about 2001, IIRC. I did here once that there was a bus connection from something like Bloomington to Columbus, WI. But that was a hike to make up I-39 and it required both trains to run on time. It didn't really get enough money so it didn't last long. At least we have the SPI-GBB connection for the SWC and CZ connection.

Email from Amtrak confirming a previous post in this topic:

Our records indicate that you are scheduled to depart on Amtrak train number 21 from Chicago, Illinois at 2:45PM on Saturday June 3 and arriving in Fort Worth, Texas.

That service has been affected by scheduled track work. You will now be traveling on alternate transportation over part or all of your trip.

Back