Extra cars on #7(01), but no Ocean View Dome

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtabern

Conductor
If you're down the line... check out #7(01)... it has 4 Horizon cars on the front between the engines and Viewliner baggage car. These will be part of the Leavenworth, WA Holiday Train. I went out to see the train, thinking Great Dome "Ocean View" was going to be on. I heard that it was not on the Hiawathas for Thanksgiving Week because it was going through a small interior refurb in Beech Grove before it would be headed out west for the Leavenworth train. Kinda curious what happened there -- I will try and check out #7(02), but that would almost be too late to get the Dome out there in there in time for Saturday's trip. You think it would have traveled with the four dead-heading Horizon cars on today's train.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're down the line... check out #7(01)... it has 4 Horizon cars on the front between the engines and Viewliner baggage car. These will be part of the Leavenworth, WA Holiday Train. I went out to see the train, thinking Great Dome "Ocean View" was going to be on. I heard that it was not on the Hiawathas for Thanksgiving Week because it was going through a small interior refurb in Beech Grove before it would be headed out west for the Leavenworth train. Kinda curious what happened there -- I will try and check out #7(02), but that would almost be too late to get the Dome out there in there in time for Saturday's trip. You think it would have traveled with the four dead-heading Horizon cars on today's train.
colorful_metaphor_mug.jpg

You said colorful, that means they're painting it, right?
I don't know. Perhaps the OP can let us know what his four sources said was done in Beech Grove or if he can tell anything when 7 goes by today.

Along those lines, if you're in range Ryan, post what you see on the rear of 98(1) as it travels over the corridor. It appears to be in good shape time wise.

Thanks.

I dont understand all of the 'colorful' comments.

What I was told was that Ocean View was not on the Hiawathas as it normally has been during Thanksgiving Week because it was at Beech Grove getting some intetior work done. I dont know if this means new seats or just a repaint in spots where paint was peeling. It was supposed to still head out to Saturdays Leavsnworth, WA charter but we have not seen it yet deadheading on #7. Today would be the last day any cars could make it out there in time. Yesterday (12/01) there were 4 Horizon cars deadheading on the front deadheading to Levenworth. I will see what is on #7 today if I can sneak out of work.

Along those lines, if you're in range Ryan, post what you see on the rear of 98(1) as it travels over the corridor. It appears to be in good shape time wise.
Alas, I think Ryan is on the wrong (west) coast. And the weather here is nasty or I might try to go down to the SEPTA station near me to catch it.

Yep, I'm in sunny San Diego this week. While waited no in line at the car rental place, I did see the Veterans Cabbage until pulling a Horizon set north out of town. No dome, though.

I dont understand all of the 'colorful' comments.

What I was told was that Ocean View was not on the Hiawathas as it normally has been during Thanksgiving Week because it was at Beech Grove getting some intetior work done. I dont know if this means new seats or just a repaint in spots where paint was peeling. It was supposed to still head out to Saturdays Leavsnworth, WA charter but we have not seen it yet deadheading on #7. Today would be the last day any cars could make it out there in time. Yesterday (12/01) there were 4 Horizon cars deadheading on the front deadheading to Levenworth. I will see what is on #7 today if I can sneak out of work.
If you make it, see if you can grab a video of 7(2). It would be appreciated. Bonus points* if you can capture footage on a bridge.

*There are no actual points given,

Just confirmed... 6 Amfleets on the front of #7(02) heading to Leavenworth, WA... still no Ocean View Dome. Guess it's really missing or not coming out of Beech Grove!

Enjoy -- this train will be in WI & MN tonight (Wed) and passing through ND & MT tomorrow (Thrs).

By the way, if people want to try and catch a glimpse online, St. Paul Union Depot has two railfan cameras. Camera 1 will show it as it pulls out of the station. It might show in the background (moving to the right) on camera 2 as well, but it'll be easier to see on Camera 1.
As of 10:23 PM, #7 just stopped at the station. And since the extra cars are on the front, the Empire Builder stopped with the Amfleets visible from Camera 1.

I haven't been in ALB to personally lay eyes on it (being out here in Sandy Eggo and all), but I'm reasonably sure that she's still in Albany.
Curious why you think that?? Not challenging you because I havent seen it anywhere else... but every year for the past 5-6 years its been used aa part of the Leavenworth, WA charter trains.

I haven't been in ALB to personally lay eyes on it (being out here in Sandy Eggo and all), but I'm reasonably sure that she's still in Albany.
Curious why you think that?? Not challenging you because I havent seen it anywhere else... but every year for the past 5-6 years its been used aa part of the Leavenworth, WA charter trains.

I suspect it is because he reads the board. You see, it all started with the Ocean View on today's 7 (11-22-15)?.

I mentioned that the car would not be on that train but someone quoted a source. It was at that point I mentioned the approximate location of the car, which Ryan keeps pointing out to you. Next, it seems you decided that you have four sources that told you it was in Beech Grove, receiving a spruce up. It was again pointed out the car was in ALB.

Now, I can and have made mistakes so I wasn't about to argue with 5 sources that put this car in the midwest although as I pointed out to Sarah Z, it was holding for a special move. Since I can't physically see the car (and the person that stated they were staring at it in ALB may be a wee bit off kilter), I figured if you want to run out and check out 7 on a daily basis, looking for a car in Albany, go for it. I was hoping you'd get some pictures of these long trains, particularly on bridges. In addition, after the bashing I took, I pretty much said I wasn't going to get involved in positioning moves anymore.

Now, here is the reason it is in Albany. First, let's look at another post Reports of #10001 Beech Grove on 48 Tonight. he was quite surprised to see 42, the Veteran's unit on point.

I wasn't since they were being delivered to ALB.

There is a reason why I asked Ryan to eyeball 98(1). He was looking out for the 10021,10020 and the 10004.

They are also meeting in ALB.

Why?

For the same reason that I know for a FACT the 10031 was not part of the Leavenworth special last year and it was never going to be part of it this year even though the car was requested.

Please pay careful attention to this video and observe the consist:

Again, feel free not to take my word for it. Who am I to argue with your sources? Perhaps you should check 7(3) though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Thirdrail! Those in the know

actuallly know!
Umm...sometimes. I'm not going to sit here and say I haven't learned a thing or two from the members of this board. In the meantime, we'll straighten out those MKE road foremen one day. Perhaps we can get them to sign up to this board.

I'd laugh here...but it seems as though that is frowned on.

Thanks for all your insight! Guess it stayed in Albany this year!!! I still wonder why they didnt ship it out to Chicago as in years past to help with the extra capacity demands on the Hiawatha? Any insight into the reasons behind that since you have the best info it seems of anyone?

Thanks for all your insight! Guess it stayed in Albany this year!!! I still wonder why they didnt ship it out to Chicago as in years past to help with the extra capacity demands on the Hiawatha? Any insight into the reasons behind that since you have the best info it seems of anyone?
They wanted the equipment committed to the special in Albany by a certain time. The schedule would have been too tight if they used it in Hiawatha service, especially if something went wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back