Amtrak Blog doesn't know where their trains run

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, they added a stop to the Southwest Chief. It makes a little detour now between Winslow and Gallup. I find that article empty headed travel writing anyway. Isn't John McCain known for saying Amtrak does not serve Arizona? Maybe he or his staff wrote this gem!

Gee, Ryan, you're so serious! Of course, I never make miststeaks! ( haw) I was making a joke about fictitious routings. I do think the article was written in a tacky touristy way. I will agree that the Tucson area has some good things to say for it, but this type of writing sounds like it is pie in the sky to me. ( Come to Flagstaff! -and we have a daily train! )

Yep. Clearly a typo. But a spell check and a proof read before publication is a hallmark of professionalism.

I lived in Tucson for a lot of years and lots of people mis-spell it.

Back in the 60's I was a member of the Tucson Arizona Boys Choir.

The 1 year I went on the yearly 3 month, by chartered Greyhound bus, US Tour, the sign in the little window above the front windows had it spelled Tuscon too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Clearly a typo. But a spell check and a proof read before publication is a hallmark of professionalism.

I lived in Tucson for a lot of years and lots of people misspell it.

Back in the 60's I was a member of the Tucson Arizona Boys Choir.

The 1 year I went on the yearly 3 month, by chartered Greyhound bus, US Tour, the sign in the little window above the front windows had it spelled Tuscon too.
Oh, I definitely agree with this. I firmly believe in proofreading.

I'm just refuting claims that the writer doesn't know how to spell Tucson. It's not like it was spelled incorrectly throughout the article.

One problem with "spell checkers" is that they only highlight a badly spelt word, so if there is another place name, maybe in France, with a different spelling, it won't see it as an error.

I am a follower of one of your early presidents, who said something along the lines of " It is a poor brain that can only think of one way to spell a word"... My spelling is very poor, so I just put that down to my "creative side" !

Ed :cool:

Perhaps some of the confusion over its spelling is because of the color Tuscan Red, a popular one for some railroad rolling stock or the Tuscany region in Italy. How about a Tuscan Red boxcar in Tucson made in Tuscany? :blink:

It's been fixed now...
Well, "Tucsonans" is still misspelled. And as a Tusconan, er... Tucsonan, that sticks out at me more than the wrong train does.
I tried "Tusconan" with MS Word, and the spell check caught it with the correct spelling suggested. At least for Word, it should have been flagged and corrected.
I've mentioned this before, but I once received documents from Amtrak with Amtrak spelled "Amtrack." Go figure.

The photo is what bothers me. It shows a girl riding a bike past a blur of a building. It could have been taken anywhere. What unimaginative soul chose that shot? How about a photo that shows something about the unique, special character of Tucson?

Tom

And it is not "fixed" yet. The TAG is for the Southwest Chief, not for Sunset Limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back