15 year old traveling alone

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve

Is Amtrak really strict about the 16 years of age requirement? Say, a 15 year old is a couple months shy of turning 16, has photo ID, very mature, very capable of traveling alone. Are they going to check closely for age? Not trying to thumb my nose at the rules, but restrictions for a 15 year old are considerably more difficult.

Sometimes Amtrak has been completely stupid about this and has thrown unattended under-16s off the train at random places in the middle of nowhere when the conductor noticed that they were under 16. Amtrak got sued for this, but I believe it's still official policy.

If he's up to dealing with that level of ****, by all means, he can travel alone.

Alternatively, I suggest filing a complaint with the Amtrak Inspector General.

I took Amtrak across the country alone when I was 14 and had no problems...

...but that was in 1974 and things were just a little more 'laid back' back then.

So while I'm confident your kid could handle it with no problem, I'm less confident about it not being a problem for Amtrak.

Is Amtrak really strict about the 16 years of age requirement? Say, a 15 year old is a couple months shy of turning 16, has photo ID, very mature, very capable of traveling alone. Are they going to check closely for age? Not trying to thumb my nose at the rules, but restrictions for a 15 year old are considerably more difficult.
Yes they are strict. As to how close they check, seems problematic to plan a trip and then have the person denied boarding. And think of how the child would feel if they were denied boarding.

Sometimes Amtrak has been completely stupid about this and has thrown unattended under-16s off the train at random places in the middle of nowhere when the conductor noticed that they were under 16. Amtrak got sued for this, but I believe it's still official policy.

If he's up to dealing with that level of ****, by all means, he can travel alone.

Alternatively, I suggest filing a complaint with the Amtrak Inspector General.
No, they won't throw the child off the train at a random place. They won't even throw an adult off at a random place. They won't even throw the child off at any place. They will take the child to the destination. If the parent is not there to meet the child they will hand the child to station personel. If it is an unstaffed station and the parent is not there they will take the child to the next staffed station and hand them to station personel.

I don't understand what the Amtrak Inspector General would have to do with this. I don't believe it falls under their mission.

Read the rules as posted. Comply.

On the other hand, my kids despised the totally various airline rules -- when two 14-16-year-olds got their coloring books for $70 fee - each. But a 12-year-old got re-routed thru 3 airports, and my 14-16 yo kids somehow got rerouted thru 3 airports to their final destination no problems. And I didn't worry (very much)

The Amtrak rule is pretty clear, under 16 - lots of rules, 16 and up, no worries.

A straight shot daylight run - no train change, no sweat. Anything else -- naah.

If the kid can look 18 - never questioned, never ID'd except for picking up the ticket, if they got a debit card - probably no questions on any short route.

I would never suggest getting your kid a fake ID. But I can't help but thinking that this would certainly be a more respectable use for one than buying alcohol or tobacco.

Amtrak changed its rules for unaccompanied minors fairly recently for no reason whatsoever, just in order to make things more difficult. The rules are enforced strictly. They are also stupid and should be changed. Since management invented these rules out of the whole cloth with no justification, they are unlikely to listen to complaints. The only entity which is likely to be able to make them listen to complaints that the rules should be changed is the Inspector General's office -- or your Congressman.

Actually, call your Congressman. It worked for getting pets on trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Call your Congressman", or "...gal". If you do your representative KNOWS you care about having passenger rail AND you are likely to use, or encourage its use. A mandate could help insulate Amtrak from legal issues of cross state custody and other liability issues.

However... There are issues that have to dealt with. I agree that most (though not all) 16+ are mature enough to be able to deal with their daily issues this ability declines quickly to where a minority of 12 year olds could. 20 Boy scouts at camp, 6 have maintainance medications... only 3 could be trusted to take theirs without reminder, and at our pre trip check in 2 had forgot their asthma inhalers. So little Johhnie get on at VAN for CHI and realises about SPUD he has "lost" his meds... how does the CA/Conductor deal with this??? As a firefighter/EMT I have had to help with minors involved in car crashes with no parent close. The legal conflicts are immense. If not injured or minor injuries we could not release the kid without parental consent, nor could the ambulance transport to a hospital. Sometimes 2-3 hours wait. If injured "implied consent" allows common low level treatment, but at the hospital kids often have to wait for on definitive treatment for parents consent.

Could Amtrak lighten up. YES. Should they. Probabily. But they sure could use some help from those who pay the bills.

I don't know when this country went completely insane about its treatment of children, but it seems to have happened during my lifetime. Maybe it was in the 1980s. We need to make free range children legal again. :sigh: I hate living in an insane country.

I am probably piping up with my little opinions here too much lately, but I also had questions about Amtrak's liability with respect to minors. As a retired teacher, I may be more concerned with the liability aspect than the average person. One has to be especially careful where children are involved. Has Amtrak had issues or suits in the past? I don't know. I do think it is prudent of them to strictly enforce whatever their rules are concerning minors.

Edit: Oh, my, neroden! Free range children will never do! :)

(Can you say "lawsuit"?)

Amtrak is the wrong carrier to try breaking any rules when it comes to something like this. If anything I would advise that you error on the side of extreme caution. Many of us have fond memories of casually riding trains as children in a more reasonable era. These days things are different. There is literally no limit to the kind of bizarre overreaction that might result from even the most minor of oversights. I wish this wasn't the case but in some ways kids and Amtrak just don't mix. Better to be safe than sorry.

I don't know when this country went completely insane about its treatment of children, but it seems to have happened during my lifetime. Maybe it was in the 1980s. We need to make free range children legal again. :sigh: I hate living in an insane country.
A Modest Proposal was satire you know :p

Yes, therefore my exclamation and :) .

Seriously though, DA is right about being better safe than sorry. The most minor incident could have enormous repercussions for Amtrak if parents chose to pursue legal action. Whether insane or not, official policy and regulations concerning minors had best be followed to the letter, or someone may have a terrible, horrible, no good very bad day if the least thing goes wrong.

It's generally easier to legally defend a policy as being a reasonable and safe one, than to defend why your employee (or you personally) didn't bother to follow that policy. Very dangerous ground there and not at all in the same category as flubbing your "ice police" duties.

Yes, therefore my exclamation and :) .

Seriously though, DA is right about being better safe than sorry. The most minor incident could have enormous repercussions for Amtrak if parents chose to pursue legal action. Whether insane or not, official policy and regulations concerning minors had best be followed to the letter, or someone may have a terrible, horrible, no good very bad day if the least thing goes wrong.

It's generally easier to legally defend a policy as being a reasonable and safe one, than to defend why your employee (or you personally) didn't bother to follow that policy. Very dangerous ground there and not at all in the same category as flubbing your "ice police" duties.
Especially in this lawsuit-happy culture.

As the person who started this thread, I appreciate all the input. YES... we ARE going to comply with the rules. I understand, of course why some of these policies are in place and I certainly appreciate the concern for a minor's safety. But in some cases it's a royal pain in the rear. Frustrating for this parent who's 15 year old kid is perfectly capable of handling it. In our case, part of the rules that was the "gotcha" is no night time travel... So instead of putting the kid on the train in western KS, I'm driving to Kansas City to meet the train. Oh well... :)

As the person who started this thread, I appreciate all the input. YES... we ARE going to comply with the rules. I understand, of course why some of these policies are in place and I certainly appreciate the concern for a minor's safety. But in some cases it's a royal pain in the rear. Frustrating for this parent who's 15 year old kid is perfectly capable of handling it. In our case, part of the rules that was the "gotcha" is no night time travel... So instead of putting the kid on the train in western KS, I'm driving to Kansas City to meet the train. Oh well... :)
In a couple of months none of this will be a problem for you. As for the reason for this rule, I imagine there has been some legal problems in the past when a 15 year old traveling on his own got lost or injured, so the nation's legal eagles went to work and cost Amtrak some money. We live in a lawsuit-happy society and often judges and juries have no common sense.

Is imagine it also has to do with ensuring said 15 year old has parental permission- of both parents, so as to avoid parental kidnapping.

No, they won't throw the child off the train at a random place.
Maybe you won't. Other conductors do.

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/47264-amtrak-throws-15-year-old-from-the-train/
I was not aware of that story from 2012 but the policy that I stated in my post the policy in effect today. I think in 2012 the policy was to hand the minor to station personel at the next staffed station. It was never to take them off at a random station. If a conductor did that they were violating the previous policy. The policy in effect now was revised in the last year to take them to the destination station and only taking them on to the next staffed station if none is at the destination station to meet the minor. Of course it is possible that there might be someone who violates the policy but I think the likelyhood is very small. Putting a minor off at an unstaffed station violates common sense. I could see there might be a chance that a conductor would put the child off, or attempt to put them off at the next staffed station rather than the destination station, they might not be up to date on current policy of taking them to the destination station, but I don't think they would put them off at an unstaffed station. Of course I admit I would never have thought that would happen in 2012 either....

We live in a lawsuit-happy society and often judges and juries have no common sense.
Especially when it comes to children. I tend to believe that children who do really stupid things and injure themselves because of it should suffer the consequences 'cause it's their own damn fault. But that's not how our courts have leaned in recent years.

"Free range children" is a reference to this:

http://www.freerangekids.com/

And the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Free-Range-Raise-Self-Reliant-Children-Without/dp/0470574755/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&tag=derivstratmag-20&qid=1342367313

For God's sake, I was wandering through fields by myself at 6, and trusted to be left alone within buildings by 8, and my parents were frankly overprotective. By middle school I could go anywhere I wanted alone. Massive restrictions on kids under 16 ?!? Seriously, 16 ?!?

At 12 I was walking a mile to IGA, partially along Route 66, for milk and cigarettes for my mom. At 16 I couldn't buy cigarettes anymore.

At 13-15 I was wandering all over town on my bike, sometimes 'til dark. It was a town of about 20k at the time.

I think a lot of Amtrak's policies are reactionary. Policy was put in place or it was changed because something happened. I do know Amtrak is sued a lot. Basically there are lawsuits ongoing constantly.

Amtrak's policy is restrictive but it's not unreasonable for today's PC, lawsuit happy, and don't hold people responsible for their own actions world.

We live in a lawsuit-happy society and often judges and juries have no common sense.
Especially when it comes to children. I tend to believe that children who do really stupid things and injure themselves because of it should suffer the consequences 'cause it's their own damn fault. But that's not how our courts have leaned in recent years."Free range children" is a reference to this: http://www.freerangekids.com/ And the book: http://www.amazon.com/Free-Range-Raise-Self-Reliant-Children-Without/dp/0470574755/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&tag=derivstratmag-20&qid=1342367313 For God's sake, I was wandering through fields by myself at 6, and trusted to be left alone within buildings by 8, and my parents were frankly overprotective. By middle school I could go anywhere I wanted alone. Massive restrictions on kids under 16 ?!? Seriously, 16 ?!?
In some ways kids today are more worldly than ever. If they are so inclined they can research millions of potentially life changing topics at the speed of light. Yet in other areas kids today are even less aware of the world they live in than the generation which preceded them. Our desire to protect our offspring at all costs is an understandable emotional reaction to the horrible events that befall a relatively tiny number of children but attract the vast majority of our media's attention.

Unfortunately if we take it too far our protection can become counterproductive. The more you insulate and isolate children the longer it can take them to advance beyond thinking like a child. The mistakes and mishaps you and I were able to make and learn from at a young age are no longer possible for many youths today. Meaningful adult role models and mature viewpoints beyond those of the immediate family unit are becoming fewer and farther between.

Have you ever spent much time with an adult who was home schooled as a child? Their level of understanding is often impressibly strong in some areas but mind bogglingly weak it others. Rote memorization like geography and math can be amazingly sharp while more nuanced topics like world history and the scientific method are often poorly understood. References to popular culture in their youth are easily missed while street smarts can be almost entirely absent. Exploring other cultures and interacting with folks from other backgrounds is often avoided. If their parent didn't know and care about something the child generally has no knowledge or concern of it either.

Can you imagine learning most of what you knew from a single person who had never studied to become a teacher or traveled beyond their immediate area, or interacted with people outside of their social and economic status? In some ways Amtrak is melting pot, and that's a good thing, but if it's one of your first experiences outside of an overly protective familial cocoon then you might not quite be ready for it. I'm guessing that's where Amtrak policy may be coming from. The way things are going now you may need to be seventeen or eighteen to ride Amtrak in the future due to the unnaturally persistent ignorance we're inadvertently forcing upon our youth.

Anyway that's just one man's take on modern life so feel free to take it with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back