Question about E-voucher Expiration

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My e-voucher expires on 10/22/2013. Can I redeem my e-voucher, today, for a train ride on 11/07/2013, or does it have to be a train scheduled before 10/22/2013?

My second question is about my e-voucher that has a total amount of $72. On the cancel confirmation pdf, it lists:

Rail Fare ($144), Purcase Total ($144)

Original Purchase ($144), Completed Travel (-$72)

Subtotal ($72)

Non Refundable Amount ($72), Refundable Amount ($46), Refund Fee (-$0)

Total Amount Applied to eVoucher ($72).

The non-refundable and refundable amount is confusing me--is the non refundable amount talking about the completed travel, or the total applied to the eVoucher? A refund of $46 without a fee would be nice.

The e-voucher only has to be REDEEMED by the expiration date! Since reservations can be made 11 months in advance, that voucher could even be redeemed for a trip next February, May or August! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The e-voucher only has to be REDEEMED by the expiration date! Since reservations can be made 11 months in advance, that voucher could even be redeemed for a trip next February, May or August! :)
That's good news. Thanks for the info :)

I partially redeemed an old voucher today.

Old system: You got a new voucher number, new expiration date, and new balance of the unused portion.

New system: You keep old voucher number, keep old expiration date, and get new balance.

That bit about the expiration date is a big deal if you are unprepared. I still think it is worth it to be able to redeem it online (starting in a few weeks).

"That bit about the expiration date is a big deal if you are unprepared. I still think it is worth it to be able to redeem it online (starting in a few weeks)."

I may have to ask some serious questions about that. One of the reasons why it was OK to get vouchers for canceled trips rather than cash was that the vouchers never really expired. If Amtrak has made them *really* expire I'll have to start demanding cash, and in that case I certainly won't tolerate a 10% "fee". If they actually can't be rolled over, then that's a major downgrade in the value of the vouchers for those of us who live far from a train station and can't take trips often.

From the website:

"An eVoucher or other exchange credit is valid for one year from date of issue, and may be renewed provided this is done before its expiration date."

As long as that's still on the website Amtrak is legally required to extend the expiration date of eVouchers. I hope it stays up there....

The vouchers or now e-vouchers have ALWAYS had a 1 year expiration date for as long as I can remember! This is NOT something new! Your statement sounds like it is.

I still would rather take Amtrak's policy of 100% value on a voucher good for 1 year or 90% cash/credit card refund over an airline's refund policy of -0-% refund (on most fares). :eek:

Dave: According to Alice's Post when you Patially use a Voucher it's not Automatically Rolled over another Year but Keeps the Original Expiration Date which is One Year from the Date of Issue! This IS New, I agree that being able to get a 100% Credit and Redeeming them On-line is Good :) but still don't like the 10% Fee for a Cash Refund! :angry: Im not sure if this applies to "Good Will" Vouchers from Customer Relations( the old way made you have to call CR/Agents couldnt Honor these) or just applies to Paid Fare e-vouchers?? :help:

I suspect you can roll these over indefinitely with more work: use all of it for a ticket in the future, then cancel and get a new voucher from that. The "more work" part is keeping track, and finding tickets for the right price so you don't have to keep adding cash.

I was at MTZ where the agents are generally helpful and knowledgeable, which is why I went there. He said they'd been rolling out changes gradually and he'd see what the computer would let him do. He turned his screen so I could watch him try different things. He also completely understood why someone would want to make those gathering trips for double points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back