Cross Country Train Trip, Summer 2013

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Photos here.

Empire Builder, SEA-MSP

On Thursday afternoon, 6/20, I boarded the eastbound Empire Builder (EB EB?) for the first leg of a long-anticipated (and well-deserved, if I may say so) vacation. Boarded roomette 11 of sleeper Kentucky, the first Superliner II I've seen on the EB in quite a while. It had had basic renovations done, including wood paneling, new compartment curtains, and such, but still had the old-style bathrooms.

Left Seattle on time. Lost some time in several places along the way, but got to MSP about 1:35 late. By recent EB standards, not too bad, and gave me enough time to have a leisurely breakfast.

Had my first encounter with the new dining car menu, and was mostly favorably impressed. A couple of the entrees, like the turkey shank, looked rather similar to some items that I've had on the PPC in recent months. The mahi-mahi was quite nice. The rice was a bit bland to my taste, and the salads and veggies are unchanged, alas. The gemelli pasta was well-prepared, but not really to my taste. It was evident that we had a chef who knew what they were doing -- the french toast was as good as I've ever had it on Amtrak. Yes, the food is generally the same, but good preparation makes a big difference.

But the desserts are disappointing. Everything is served in plastic cups. And while the ones I had tasted pretty good, the cheesecake and some of the other desserts are very much a step down.

As always, had good conversations with my meal companions. I had a nice breakfast with the Trails and Rails folks, who were interesting to talk to. Their presentations were read directly from a script, which was sort of disappointing.

The dining car personnel were very good; unfortunately, I didn't catch their names, although I recognized them. SCA Thuy ("Twee") was reasonably good and friendly, although she had an unfortunate tendency to make announcements telling everyone how busy she was.

MSP

In eastern ND, we could look ahead from the train and see a bunch of large and impressive thunderheads. As it turns out, they caused large storms that caused major power outages in much of Minnesota. The friends in St. Paul (well, technically Lauderdale) that I was staying with did not lose power, but a lot of other people did, and there were huge trees down in just about every block. Their cable and internet was down for almost 48 hours, and just recently came back on. Luckily, my mobile hotspot was still working.

We had some good food, and had a nice party where I saw some friends I hadn't seen in a long while. We also spent an hour or so walking around the newly-restored St. Paul Union Depot, which will definitely be a nice place to catch a train once Amtrak moves in. We also checked out the light rail and commuter rail trains, although we didn't have time to ride them. MSP has changed a lot since I lived here in the late 1970s, but many of the old landmarks have been preserved well.

Tomorrow: on to Chicago.

Last edited by a moderator:
:hi: Thanks for the Report Charlie, sounds like you Lucked out on the EB EB! :giggle: ! As to the New Menu, guess it's True, it will still depend on the Chef Aboard! I Love Cheesecake, Brownies and Ice Cream,(I still think the Bourbon Pecan Pie from the Crescent and CONO was Amtraks Best Desert! It was Made in CHI!!! ^_^ )I haven't gotten to try the New ones yet, seems there's Mixed Reviews so far! Look forward to the Future Episodes! ;)

Thanks for the trip report (and the current status of the St Paul Union Depot). I loved the old decadent desserts. Tiramisu cake was my very favorite, and key lime cheescake probably second. I guess they've opted for ease of transport and service over quality, and I'll have to be satisfied with what I get. It's not like I need the extra calories, ha, ha, and the view improves everything!

Great report so far, Charlie. But if you didn't want to get together with me while I'm in Seattle this week and this weekend, all you had to do was say so. You didn't need to go to the trouble of going on a long cross-country trip just to avoid me. :p :lol:

This is a good report, kinda describes my last EB trip. Had to laugh, I too had "Twee" for my SCA and she remained us on a regular basis how busy she was. :)

Great report so far, Charlie. But if you didn't want to get together with me while I'm in Seattle this week and this weekend, all you had to do was say so. You didn't need to go to the trouble of going on a long cross-country trip just to avoid me. :p :lol:
LOL, he is doing the same thing to me. I am in Seattle in two weeks and he said he won't be there. LOL Maybe he just does not like AU members seeing him face to face. :p :ph34r:

June and Jeff, can I help it if you have terrible timing? You'll just have to come to Seattle again -- or to the Gathering -- and I'll see you in person :)

Now, back to the track, Jack...

Empire Builder, MSP-CHI

I was originally scheduled to take the EB to CHI today (Tuesday), and connect to the Cardinal the same day. But it's a tight connection, and considering how late the EB has been running, I decided to take the EB on Monday and stay over in Chicago, so I wouldn't have to worry about bustitutions or worse. Taking 8 MSP-CHI on Monday was $129 cheaper, which paid for a good chunk of the cost of a hotel room.

I'm glad I made the change, since yesterday's 8 was running a couple of hours behind schedule the whole way (see this thread for details) and I was really glad that I wasn't facing the CUS sprint between tracks or a dismal bus. But we had left MSP in time for breakfast, and I had a good lunch, too -- although a lot of the menu selections were out of stock by the last day of the EB's run.

People who travel Amtrak know that one of the fun parts of the trip is meeting folks over meals. My luncheon companions were probably the most diverse and interesting group that I've ever eaten with: a retired lady from St. Louis who was a first-time train rider, an Australian lady who has taken most of the trains Down Under (...on my bucket list for sure!), and a Mennonite (I think) kid of about 12 or so who was coming back with his family from a trip to Alaska, including the Alaska ferry and the White Horse and Yukon RR. No lack of conversation at our table!

Good service in the diner. Hardly saw the SCA, but since my travel was a day trip, I didn't feel the lack of his attention. The poor guy looked exhausted, and I suspect he's nearing retirement.

We got to CHI at 5:50, where it was sunny and had a humidity of about 120%. I found out why during my cab ride to the hotel. All of a sudden, the sky turned black, and the heavens opened, complete with thunder and lightning accompaniment. I was very glad I had decided not to take transit -- I didn't even get wet, but I met a couple in the hotel elevator who were totally soaked. The rain limited my desire to walk around town last night. I'll do some sightseeing today, then board the Cardinal this afternoon.

You also dodged me when I was in SEA in Feb. Charlie, looks like a Pattern is Developing here! :giggle:

**Disclaimer: Actually I didnt arrive till 10PM @ Night on a Plane and rode the light Rail Downtown and spent the Night and Left Early the next Morning on the Cascades Train to Vancouver to catch the Canadian! Charlie had to Work but we talked via Phone! He really helped me in planning the Trip like he does for Everyone who comes to the NW/Seattle! :hi:

I hope the Cardinal is a Blast, it will be Slow Going and Don't Order the French Toast Sticks for Breakfast, they're Terrible! ;)

Cardinal, CHI-BAL

I don't know why, but on the infrequent occasions that I take the Cardinal, there's drama. In the past, I've had to deal with work-related crises while fighting the spotty-at-best cell service in West Virginia. This time, cell coverage was better, but Nature and the denizens of DC provided the excitement.

We left CHI right on time, and I am definitely glad I didn't try to connect from the EB, as we would not have made it.

We were treated to a super cheerful and friendly welcome by SCA Tyreese ("you can call me T"). He says he's been working for Amtrak for 30-some years, which I find hard to believe: he must have started when he was about 5. In addition to taking care of his own duties, he also helped out in the dining car, which I believe I remember from past trips. T remembered me, too, although it's been at least two years since I've been on the Card.

The Cardinal's menu has changed along with the menus on the other trains. And frankly, while it's a bit more limited than what you might find on the EB, the entrees are every bit as good. I had the salmon, which had a sauce, not the rub one finds on the other trains. Yummy and tender. And string beans, not the vegetable medley that I'm quite tired of. With the right prep, a convection oven works just fine.

I was awakened at 4 AM by Mother Nature (or Thor?) throwing lightning around about every 1-2 seconds, and pouring rain to match. Couldn't hear the thunder, but I imagine it was continuous. Quite a show. The train's power went off a couple of times for a minute or so, but we didn't seem to lose any time, except for having to wait for a freight.

At breakfast, I might have selected the blintzes, but they had a side of the dreaded french toast sticks, and I know better than to ignore Jim Hudson's advice :) The cheese omelet was okay, if slightly rubbery, as was the side of potatoes, but I probably could have done without the mysterious cup of broccoli. But pretty much every meal has been garnished with some very tasty strawberries, which is a nice addition.

Somewhere between Prince and Hinton, I started getting cell signal again, and it was very strange to be reading the news from the Supreme Court while on a train in the wilds of West Virginia. No matter where you stand on those issues, I couldn't help thinking that the decision-makers in DC would be more in touch with real people if they took trains once in a while.

Lunch was a pretty decent grilled turkey and cheese sandwich. Dessert choices matched some of those on the EB, with the addition of a brownie (in a cup [grumble]) rather than the chocolate mousse item from the Builder. Slightly warm and garnished with yet another strawberry, it was pretty good.

I'll be visiting family for the next couple days, then…more trains!

:) Glad the Storms didnt delay the Card Charlie! (And Cell Service in the Wilds of West Virginia! The Late Senator Byrd must be Smiling in his Grave! :eek: ) Other Eastern Trains Didnt have it so good as to OTP! I'm honored that you took my advice about the French Toast Sticks,(Broccoli for Breakfast? :eek: )the Single Worst Item I've ever tasted on Amtrak besides Budweiser! :giggle: Sounds like your SCA was First rate and I'm glad to know that the Food is Improved on the Card, those String Beans sound like a Good Idea to replace the Veggie Medley that we are ALL Tired of! Hopefully the New Deserts can be Improved with Ice Cream, Heat and being taken out of the Cup! :help:

:) Glad the Storms didnt delay the Card Charlie! (And Cell Service in the Wilds of West Virginia! The Late Senator Byrd must be Smiling in his Grave! :eek: ) Other Eastern Trains Didnt have it so good as to OTP! I'm honored that you took my advice about the French Toast Sticks,(Broccoli for Breakfast? :eek: )the Single Worst Item I've ever tasted on Amtrak besides Budweiser! :giggle: Sounds like your SCA was First rate and I'm glad to know that the Food is Improved on the Card, those String Beans sound like a Good Idea to replace the Veggie Medley that we are ALL Tired of! Hopefully the New Deserts can be Improved with Ice Cream, Heat and being taken out of the Cup! :help:
Cup? Who cares unless it's edible but not tasty? I 'd eat a dessert even it comes on a paper Dixie plate! :lol: And hopefully the plate would be suitable for devouring too!

NE Regionals, BAL-NFK-NPN-BAL

My cousins in Baltimore are at least tolerant of driving me to BAL Penn Station every couple of days. After all, our grandfather drove GG-1s for the PRR. So yesterday afternoon, I was off to Norfolk, since I hadn't been on Amtrak's new service. Regional 125 is a bit of a local, stopping at L'Enfant Plaza, Woodbridge, and other VRE stations. It was crowded on a Friday afternoon.

It was pouring in WAS, and the diesel being added to the train caused more of a bang and thump than I remember, but we were on time after WAS, and the sun came out as soon as we crossed the Potomac. (Hmm...) I didn't run into any more rain until we were approaching NFK. The weather dampened my enthusiasm for sightseeing, so I took the Tide light rail (the only transportation system I know that has Colonial-style architecture on its shelters) to my hotel, and went to bed facing the Norfolk Southern HQ building.

This morning, I took the Thruway bus over to NPN station, where I met up with Anderson for breakfast on the train between NPN and RVM. A rather nice points run, although Amcafe food isn't exciting. At RVM, he went back east, and I continued on to BAL. I added a nice couple of train days, and spent the evening chatting with my cousins, doing laundry, and resting up for the next jaunt.

Oh, and I spent a few minutes on the phone giving pointers to a friend of a friend, who was thinking about doing the EB from SEA-CHI. I also suggested that she check out AU, of course. Apparently I was persuasive, since she made the reservation while we were on the phone :)

Great trip report Charlie... and great trip. It does not sound like you will be visiting sunny (or rainy) Florida on this trip. (Rep. Mica wanted to know if you would be stopping by WPK on this trip :giggle: ).

June, I'm afraid that I won't be taking the EB home. I'll be on the Canadian a few days later.

Acela, BAL-NYP

Ethan Allen, NYP-RUD

After an overnight in Baltimore, I was off on another mini-sightseeing/foaming trip. Plus, I'm getting to use the AGR upgrade coupons that us westerners don't generally find much use for. So I got to do BAL-NYP in Acela First Class, which was very nice indeed. Quiet and not crowded on a Sunday morning, with good food and good service.

Met up with Anderson at the NYP Club Acela, and hung out there for a couple of hours. Then on to business class on the Ethan Allen, a train I'd never ridden before. Pretty crowded until Albany, then emptied out further at Saratoga Springs. Between SAR and Fort Edward, the track for the Ethan Allen branches off from that used by the Adirondack, and it's not in great shape. The 35 miles between Fort Edward and Castleton, VT, takes an hour. But it's very scenic, and the local communities have built or refurbished some nice stations. Arrived in Rutland just at dusk.

It was a quick taxi ride to the hotel -- which I nicknamed the Nixon Memorial Inn because it needed to send in the plumbers. But the refrigerator in the room made a sound like a train whistle in the distance, so it was easy for me to fall asleep, and be rested in time for the morning wake-up call. And back to the station for another train ride.

June, I'm afraid that I won't be taking the EB home. I'll be on the Canadian a few days later.
Acela, BAL-NYP

Ethan Allen, NYP-RUD

After an overnight in Baltimore, I was off on another mini-sightseeing/foaming trip. Plus, I'm getting to use the AGR upgrade coupons that us westerners don't generally find much use for. So I got to do BAL-NYP in Acela First Class, which was very nice indeed. Quiet and not crowded on a Sunday morning, with good food and good service.

Met up with Anderson at the NYP Club Acela, and hung out there for a couple of hours. Then on to business class on the Ethan Allen, a train I'd never ridden before. Pretty crowded until Albany, then emptied out further at Saratoga Springs. Between SAR and Fort Edward, the track for the Ethan Allen branches off from that used by the Adirondack, and it's not in great shape. The 35 miles between Fort Edward and Castleton, VT, takes an hour. But it's very scenic, and the local communities have built or refurbished some nice stations. Arrived in Rutland just at dusk.

It was a quick taxi ride to the hotel -- which I nicknamed the Nixon Memorial Inn because it needed to send in the plumbers. But the refrigerator in the room made a sound like a train whistle in the distance, so it was easy for me to fall asleep, and be rested in time for the morning wake-up call. And back to the station for another train ride.
Oh too bad. So you are in New England, or were. Did you wave as you went thru Mass?

Ethan Allen, RUD-SAR

Saratoga & North Creek, SAR-North Creek-SAR

We had the Ethan Allen's business class car pretty much to ourselves for the journey back to SAR on a rainy Monday morning, but the crew was relaxed and friendly. We arrived in SAR just on time, which gave us 25 minutes before the departure of the SNCRR's first trip of the day. Plenty of time, since SNCRR, Amtrak, and Trailways share a modern and elegant station in Saratoga Springs that also houses a gift shop and a grand piano!

At SAR, we met up with a couple of friends of mine from Massachusetts, and we all boarded the train for the 2-1/2 hour trip to North Creek. It features some really nice riverside scenery, which we could enjoy from our perches in the dome car while having a rather nostalgic train breakfast featuring goodies like eggs, french toast, and some really good bacon. It was raining pretty heavily at times, but it was still a nice ride.

There isn't much in North Creek besides the nicely renovated depot, gift shoppe and museum, so half an hour until the return trip was plenty of time. The weather was clearer on the southbound leg, so we got to see some more sights, and took some good pictures. And we had a good lunch on the train, featuring such historic railroad staples as club sandwiches and grilled cheese. And tiramisu or carrot cake for dessert.

Then we waited at the Saratoga station for the Adirondack, which was running an hour late, but which made up considerable time at SDY and ALB. As i write this, we should have time to connect to the southbound Acela at 9:15.

Acela, BAL-NYP

Ethan Allen, NYP-RUD

Oh too bad. So you are in New England, or were. Did you wave as you went thru Mass?
Charlie didn't go through Mass. The Ethan Allen goes through NY, and VT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back