New National Time Tables Effective 1/14/13

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
The New National Time Tables become effective on Monday 1/14 There is a Posting on trainorders that shows a pic of the Cover and several Posters say that they were already available @ Some Stations and had arrived to others via Snail Mail! Wondering if ALL the Stations that are Manned will have them Available Tomorrow?

The New National Time Tables become effective on Monday 1/14 There is a Posting on trainorders that shows a pic of the Cover and several Posters say that they were already available @ Some Stations and had arrived to others via Snail Mail! Wondering if ALL the Stations that are Manned will have them Available Tomorrow?
The new National Timetables have been available for a few days, at least at the major stations AFAIK. Amtrak issued a news release on January 9 about the (delayed) Winter/Spring system time table to take effect on January 14. The January 14 PDF copies of most of the route schedules have been showing up on the website. although the BOS-WAS NEC schedules have a January 28 for the new Acela trains. The PDF pf the National timetable has not yet been posted, but I would think it would be posted real soon.

Besides the additional WAS-NYP Acela trains, not that many changes in the timetable besides the official adding of NFK, FRE, Brunswick to the national timetable, the Pennsylvanian departing PGH at 7:30 AM with 10 minutes trimmed off the travel time, CS stop changes.

Jim, FWIW I got the new timetable on 1/3 in Los Angeles at Union Station. They were visibly displayed on a stand in front of the information desk.

Barely even started looking at the new schedules, but a few things I noticed:

Laguna Niguel/Mission Viejo have been removed as Surfliner stops

More Surfliners now stop at Old Town

The Coast Starlight leaves LA 15 minutes earlier and then eats up 7 minutes between Van Nuys and Simi Valley compared to before. The entire rest of the schedule is moved up 8 minutes Simi Valley and north compared to previous.

I know that there are more but I am tired and am going to sleep.

I stopped by ALX this morning and they had the new timetable! 144 BE-YOU-TA-FULL pages! (Same number as the previous.) And like the previous, I :wub: love :wub: the foldout just inside the cover. :p

The Coast Starlight leaves LA 15 minutes earlier and then eats up 7 minutes between Van Nuys and Simi Valley compared to before. The entire rest of the schedule is moved up 8 minutes Simi Valley and north compared to previous.
Glad you noticed that. During the PRIIA review of the C.S. they considered dropping two stops in the L.A. area. I don't fully understand the reason, but it had something to do with complications getting the C.S. off the main track and onto the track that services these two stations. Evidently, the ridership is strong enough at these two stations that it would hurt the bottom line to drop them. I guess the short term solution was to add a few minutes to the schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Starlight change is not related to PRIIA, but to operational conflicts with existing Surfliner and Metrolink service.

The Starlight change has the benefit of adding 8 minutes to the connection with the EB in PDX. Doubt this

will make a difference most days, but psychologically anything helps.

I forget how to order a new tmetable via snail-mail through the Amtrak website. Anybody?
On Amtrak's website, click on the Plan tab. There should be a dropdown menu. From that menu, click on Planning and Booking. From there, there will be a link for Amtrak publications. Click on that, enter your personal info, and you're good to go!

The Starlight change is not related to PRIIA, but to operational conflicts with existing Surfliner and Metrolink service.
If the CS was more than about five minutes late in Van Nuys, they usually have to sit at Woodman for about 20 minutes because of a Metrolink getting in to the station ahead of them from the north. This is the kind of situation that has caused them start work (preliminary engineering done by April) to put a platform in the center of the tracks connected by a passenger tunnel so that both tracks can be used for boarding..

Very nice. I think the LSL schedule change is going to happen, not sure when, but it just didnt make it into this timetable.

I read here on AU that they are going to sorta flip the LSL and the Capital Limited departure times, make the LSL earlier, and the CL later due to the westbound connections to the CL.

Interesting error with the new Downeaster timetable. The timetable lists the rail mileage for the new extension from Brunswick to Portland as 22 miles. That's not even close. The straight line, as the crow flies distance is 24 miles. The rail distance measured by topographic mapping software is 28 miles. The project documents showed the distance as 29 miles. Somehow Amtrak has lost over 6 miles. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it is still a mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting error with the new Downeaster timetable. The timetable lists the rail mileage for the new extension from Brunswick to Portland as 22 miles. That's not even close. The straight line, as the crow flies distance is 24 miles. The rail distance measured measured by topographic mapping software is 28 miles. The project documents showed the distance as 29 miles. Somehow Amtrak has lost over 6 miles. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it is still a mistake.
Makes the train seem even slower than it already is! :giggle:

Interesting error with the new Downeaster timetable. The timetable lists the rail mileage for the new extension from Brunswick to Portland as 22 miles. That's not even close. The straight line, as the crow flies distance is 24 miles. The rail distance measured measured by topographic mapping software is 28 miles. The project documents showed the distance as 29 miles. Somehow Amtrak has lost over 6 miles. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it is still a mistake.
Probably going by rail mileposts? Those can get really weird over the centuries of reroutes and whatnot, and can easily be more than a mile apart.

Did anyone else notice this policy? This is the first time I've seen Amtrak use this verbiage:

Duplicate and impossible Amtrak bookings are prohibited. Duplicate bookings include, but are not limited to, reservations on multiple trains by the same passenger on the same day between the same or similar cities on one or more itineraries, such as booking the 4:00 p.m., 5:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. Acela Express trains between New York and Philadelphia. Impossible bookings are reservations on trains for which it is impossible for the passenger to travel on both or all, such as a bedroom Seattle Chicago on two consecutive days, or two separate reservation records between which a connection is not possible. Amtrak reserves the right to analyze its reservation system to find such bookings and will attempt to contact the passenger in advance to determine which one will be used; if unable to contact the passenger, Amtrak will retain the last reservation booked and cancel the others, whether or not paid for. Refunds for such cancellations will be determined by the refund rules that apply to the fare paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back