sleeping car blankets and sheets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yarrow

Engineer
far ne washington state, 1/2 mile from canada
i am not a particularly fastidious person. however, heading home from chi on the eb the past couple days the sheets and blankets in our roomette made me wonder if they had even been laundered. the sheet was old, gray,easy to see through, no crispness whatsoever. the blanket was thin, had several holes and was basically useless. i could have asked our attendant (who was not the person who readied the car so was in no way responsible) for new linens but chose not to. it got me thinking however that the linens we have used have been fairly threadbare lately. anybody else noticed similar?

There is a difference between being dirty and being clean (laundered). And being new and being old.

Sounds like your sheets might have been clean (laundered), but old. Just because they aren't "crisp", doesn't mean they are dirty.

i am not a particularly fastidious person. however, heading home from chi on the eb the past couple days the sheets and blankets in our roomette made me wonder if they had even been laundered. the sheet was old, gray,easy to see through, no crispness whatsoever. the blanket was thin, had several holes and was basically useless. i could have asked our attendant (who was not the person who readied the car so was in no way responsible) for new linens but chose not to. it got me thinking however that the linens we have used have been fairly threadbare lately. anybody else noticed similar?
I find the linen (blankets and sheets) simply worn, never dirty. Now if only Amtrak sleepers had linens and comforters like Via Rail's Canadian! Their sheets are luxurious.

While sheets are changed at the end of every passenger use, blankets stay on for some time as they do in most hotels. That's scary. Even the Service Standards Manual instructs the Attendants to make sure there is enough sheet overlapping the blanket to avoid the blanket making direct contact with the customer!

I don't even want to think about that....I think I will bring my own next time. In my experience, there is rarely enough sheet to avoid contact, besides most are so thin it's little barrier anyway....

If there was just 1 improvement that could be done to the experience, it's this-put on some decent linen! I get better blankets on a 2 hour Delta flight than I get on a 2 day train trip.

The linens have long been a point of interest with me, ever since my first sleeper trip years ago. I agree that the sheets and blankets as they are now are pretty dismal, even disturbing. I've sent in letters detailing as much, as well as made phone calls to suggest that the bed linens be addressed, but nothing has come of this. Maybe one day, but a cynical summary may be to "Just be glad we have Long-Distance Sleeper travel left at all."

Ewwww. Now this is getting gross. I usually try not to get the blue part of the blanket close to me but who know when you are rocking and rolling in the train. Do we have any experts that worked on the train that can address this for sure?

Ewwww. Now this is getting gross. I usually try not to get the blue part of the blanket close to me but who know when you are rocking and rolling in the train. Do we have any experts that worked on the train that can address this for sure?
Sheets are changed after each use. Blankets are changed a minimum of once every 60 days, or sooner, whenever a car is stripped for placement in the shop.

I believe this policy is not all that different than most hotels.

The blankets can be a bit thin when the AC is working overtime. I always take a rain poncho with me on LD trips. It doubles well as an extra blanket for those frosty nights.

Sheets are changed after each use. Blankets are changed a minimum of once every 60 days, or sooner, whenever a car is stripped for placement in the shop.
I just find it hard to believe that blankets aren't changed for two months! Not that your information isn't accurate, but there must be some flexibility on the part of the employees making up the beds at the start of each run. They must be inspected for such things as coffee or soft drink spills, other stains, etc. yes? I wonder if there is something in Amtrak service guides regarding linens that someone can reference on this site?

I just find it hard to believe that blankets aren't changed for two months! Not that your information isn't accurate, but there must be some flexibility on the part of the employees making up the beds at the start of each run. They must be inspected for such things as coffee or soft drink spills, other stains, etc. yes? I wonder if there is something in Amtrak service guides regarding linens that someone can reference on this site?
Two months is the maximum amount of time, before blankets are guaranteed to be changed. Each trip, with the fresh linen, a SCA will receive an extra 2-3 blankets to use as needed for pax requests, spills, "accidents" ,etc.

Two months is the maximum amount of time, before blankets are guaranteed to be changed. Each trip, with the fresh linen, a SCA will receive an extra 2-3 blankets to use as needed for pax requests, spills, "accidents" ,etc.
i was chatting with an sca a while back and he mentioned to me that he often wasn't even supplied with enough sheets to make all his beds. didn't think much of it at the time but i may now

I wonder how the blankets and sheets will be for next year's trip. Sleepers are expensive and one should expect the linen to be at least as good as a moderate hotel. <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
I do take a extra small blanket with me that sometimes I use as a buffer from hitting the side of the train while sleeping. Sometimes I have used it for warmth though. Gad, a few months till my next trip. I will be checking those blue blankets more. Yes, I know hotels don't change their top bedding much (if at all) either.

I do take a extra small blanket with me that sometimes I use as a buffer from hitting the side of the train while sleeping. Sometimes I have used it for warmth though. Gad, a few months till my next trip. I will be checking those blue blankets more. Yes, I know hotels don't change their top bedding much (if at all) either.
I would suggest that pax at least bring their own pillow case! Gee whiz, you gotta wonder about everything these days!

The Davy Crockett said:
1348306808[/url]' post='395315']I believe this policy is not all that different than most hotels.

The blankets can be a bit thin when the AC is working overtime. I always take a rain poncho with me on LD trips. It doubles well as an extra blanket for those frosty nights.
Not the hotels I stay at---there has been a pretty big shift over the last few years, for hotels to use fresh linen including the duvet over the comforter. Most mid level and up chains now do this. Some don't......but many do. Guess where I stay......and, as thin as those "blankets" are there is no reason they should not be cleaned as well. Yes, I will be bringing my own flannel throw next time.

On my one Amtrak sleeper experience I was cold during the day and the attendant noticed me downstairs on the luggage rack digging in my luggage. I was specifically digging to grap my fleece blanket that comes on most of my trips especially all of my summer trips when I don't need to bring a coat and am warring shorts. I even use it to keep my legs warm on daytime bus and train legs. I told him I was cold and he ended up giving me a blanket. I didn't retrieve my own at all. That night when I went to bed I was cold and was quite happy to have two AmBlankets to try and cuddle into. I didn't end up bothering to grab my own travel blanket but might have.

I have to say that Amtrak's linens were a surve disappointment from my one other sleeper trip (not including two Coachettes in Europe, but those don't count since you have to make your own bed), a VIA section with the wonderful warm comforter. That bed was also a lot more comfortable. The bottom bunk on a sleeper liner roomette really felt like not a proper bed but sleeping on a couch, it was so hard. They really could use better mattress pads as well.

well, its not like people sleep naked in the sleepers.
They don't?? Really, you have no idea what goes on in the sleepers. From just personal experience, I can say it's happened at least a few times...... one does tend to make friends on a long multi-day trip! To quote frequent traveller and vitamin salesman Bob Sweet "I tell my boss I'm afraid to fly, and I get this action twice a year.....it's a cathouse on wheels"!
wub.gif

Of course, now I'm older and married, and it's not real romantic anymore with a kid in the bunk above you, but, there is some truth to Mr. Sweet's statement!

I can assure you, what's good for the Silver Streak, is as good on the Empire Builder......though the Silver Streak had a much better bar.

Besides, humans are just plain gross anyway, even with pajamas on-Hacking, coughing, sneezing, drooling.....and the blanket you cuddle up with may have just been vacated by someone with the flu or bubonic plague one stop prior.....Yeah, I'll be bringing my own now.....Never thought about it before, but now that I do.... :blink:

well, its not like people sleep naked in the sleepers.
They don't?? Really, you have no idea what goes on in the sleepers. From just personal experience, I can say it's happened at least a few times...... one does tend to make friends on a long multi-day trip! To quote frequent traveller and vitamin salesman Bob Sweet "I tell my boss I'm afraid to fly, and I get this action twice a year.....it's a cathouse on wheels"!
wub.gif

Of course, now I'm older and married, and it's not real romantic anymore with a kid in the bunk above you, but, there is some truth to Mr. Sweet's statement!

I can assure you, what's good for the Silver Streak, is as good on the Empire Builder......though the Silver Streak had a much better bar.

Besides, humans are just plain gross anyway, even with pajamas on-Hacking, coughing, sneezing, drooling.....and the blanket you cuddle up with may have just been vacated by someone with the flu or bubonic plague one stop prior.....Yeah, I'll be bringing my own now.....Never thought about it before, but now that I do.... :blink:
i plan on bringing a light sleeping bag in the future both for comfort and piece of mind. i should have taken pictures of the linen which originated the impetus for this topic

Meh. I suspect that thin sheets save storage room (have you noticed how little space there is for storage of linens in the sleepers?). As for germs... the seats, the walls, the armrests, all are changed far less than every 60 days, and the blanket is no worse than any of those (and probably a less hospitable environment for germs than the seat cushion material). I wouldn't put the blanket in your mouth though.

What is the policy on pillows? Are they replaced after every use?
Pillow cases are changed after every passenger. Pillows are not.
Hello Alan,

How about actual pillow replacement? Are they eventually washed with the blankets (or replaced at that time)?

Let's see...bring heavy sweat pants and sweat shirt to sleep in....my own pillow case....one of those reflective survival blankets....ear plugs and eye shades....and some Advil PM....that should cover it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back