Congratulations Bloomington-Normal, Il.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim G.

Service Attendant
The ribbon cutting at the new and beautiful intermodal "Uptown Station" in Normal, Il. today was very special. The second busiest train station in Illinois showed their faith in Amtrak's future by building a state of the art transportation center to serve the area with Amtrak, Trailway bus, and city bus service. With High Speed Rail from Chicago to St. Louis just around the corner in Illinois this new station will only enhance rail travel for our state. The festive occassion was highlighted with an appearence by Sen. Richard Durbin, Sect of Trans. Ray LaHood, Amtrak Board Chairman Tom Carper, and the 40th Anniversary Train. To all who made this project possible, thank you for a tremendous job well done!

Did something change in the train station area since two months ago?

I didn't stay for the festivities as I live just 20 minutes north of BNL and can visit the station any time. However, I had the pleasure of again seeing Trogdor and finally getting to meet RTabern and his fiance.

Yes, Gingee, there are changes. The rails are blocked and you have to board the train on the other side where the new station is located. There will be no more convenient, free parking right at the station. In order to park at the new station you will be charged $8 a day IIRC. The free parking is about a block or so away at College Avenue. I have neither been there nor seen it, but I believe it is a parking deck.

One of the many benefits of the new station is that it is right in "Uptown" Normal, which provides some good restaurants and shopping. It is going to be a transportation hub. There were Trailway buses parked in the bus section and local bus transport and Peoria Motor Coach will be picking up there as well.

For those who want to spend the night in Bloomington/Normal, there is a Marriot across from the station and a Children's Discovery Museum. Also, a movie theater which shows vintage films, but get your tickets well in advance for the showing of "It's A Great Life". It's always sold out.

Betty

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to BNL!! As I recall from my last visit there during the St Louis Gathering,

it was a very nice station. I hope the High Speed Rail will happen soon.

I just got back from BNL. (MKE-338-CHI-305-BNL on Friday, BNL-302-CHI-335-MKE today.) Uptown Station seemed to be a nice facility. The seating was decent (not plush but better than some I've sat in at airports/bus stations/train stations) with some extra electric outlets in some of the seating rows. It did not appear that any of the bus operators (Burlington Trailways, Peoria Charter Coach, others?) have moved in yet, so I cannot really comment on that aspect of the station. I do have a few criticisms, but they should probably be easily fixed (and perhaps they will be taken care of in the days to come), namely that the Amtrak announcements were VERY difficult to hear in the Amtrak waiting area, the Amtrak waiting area was rather warm today, some additional signage could be placed at the "old platform" indicating it is no longer is use, and fencing is probably warranted between the two tracks to direct people to the appropriate crossing locations. Having said that, there did appear to be personnel (I guess from the Town of Normal) on hand, hopefully observing things and ready to make adjustments as needed in the days ahead.

Anyone know if a pedestrian bridge over the tracks and upgrades to the "old platform" are planned/funded/expected?

EDIT: Also, there were no displays of Amtrak arrivals and departures (whether a static or variable display); however there were a few monitors that were blank other than the Amtrak logo, so I assume those will be used to display some Amtrak information going forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are my photos from the BNL event (sorry it took me a few days to post -- I leave for a 11-day east coast train trip starting tomorrow and have been getting things ready):

http://rtabern.shutterfly.com/32327

Photo is with Everydaymatters -- use right arrow button to see other photos from event (and also a side trip I did the same day to Indiana Dunes Nat'l Park with my fiancee)

Here are my photos from the BNL event (sorry it took me a few days to post -- I leave for a 11-day east coast train trip starting tomorrow and have been getting things ready):

Photo is with Everydaymatters -- use right arrow button to see other photos from event (and also a side trip I did the same day to Indiana Dunes Nat'l Park with my fiancee)
Hmm. The monitors with train (and bus) arrival/departure information were blank (well, not blank, but only displaying the Amtrak logo) on Sunday, July 15. Hopefully that was a fluke and they will be working and updated as it appears they were on Saturday, July 14, in your photo.

Now, how come we can't have information updated like that in MKE?

Hmm. The monitors with train (and bus) arrival/departure information were blank (well, not blank, but only displaying the Amtrak logo) on Sunday, July 15. Hopefully that was a fluke and they will be working and updated as it appears they were on Saturday, July 14, in your photo.

Now, how come we can't have information updated like that in MKE?
Agreed! I dont know why they don't update the board in MKE!!

I remember right after the new display monitors were put in at MKE, they actually had the OLD pointless arrow Amtrak logo for a few weeks... yes... a 9+ year old logo for the company. Someone goofed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back