The Tradition of Named Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Amtrak take named cars into consideration again?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackwolf

Conductor
I personally find incredible value contained in a name. Having a name instils a sense of identity, a title of importance. Stepping aboard a sleeping car you are going to call home for two days and nights while traveling trans-continental has a bit more romance when a name is gracing the side instead of a simple inventory number. Eating in a dining car with an identity adds to the experience and the meal.

To put things in perspective, no one would blink an eye at a ship called G32. But grace the name Queen Mary 2 upon it, and suddenly you have prestige! :lol:

So, why has Amtrak strayed away? As the Viewliners rotated in for their periodic maintenance starting sometime in 2007, their original names were one by one stripped away and forgotten. The same is true of the Superliner I sleepers, and finding one with its original name still borne upon an end door is a rare occasion these days. The only things that seem to bear a name in an official manner today are the Viewliner diner "Indianapolis", the five Hi-Level (PPC) lounges, the California cars, the individual trainsets of the Cascades route, and a handfull of miscellaneous pieces of rolling stock still on Amtrak's roster.

It cannot really be for cost. I refuse to accept that having names on individual cars is even an expense at all. I just cannot fathom what the reasonable cause for de-naming cars like sleepers and diners would be. If anything, it is now going to cost money to put names back on the cars should Amtrak decide to change their mind on names. Not a whole lot, just the price of cutting out and then affixing vinyl lettering, but it will still cost.

So, what do you think about names and train cars? Should Amtrak re-approach having named cars?

Last edited by a moderator:
People get confused.

"I am going to Seattle but the sleeping car say its going to Denver."

In europe it was common for cars to have a plate with the train number and major stops on each car.

I don't agree with it, but that the story behind it. It the same way how a employee timetable has the train names listed for corridors, but on the public timetable it's just " Empire Service".

I personal think sleep cars names would stop people from walking into my compartment and asking why I am in there room, when there in the wrong car. On the other hand it does make the dinning car stewards life easier, if everyone needs to know there car and compartment number.

FYI: VIA rail change all there route names to major end cities. Rename there different class on there train "made it more simple".

Don't over rate people knowledge or there need for simple, and easy. My friend recently traveled on Amtrak and found the web site a bit hard to navigate the first time she book her tickets.

Flame me all you want, but keep it simple is the order of the day.

I imagine that in the current automated, computerised world, that numbers are easier to manage in the digital cyberspace for repairs and records, etc... but I certainly agree that a name gives more kudos and status than a number!

Ed. :cool:

I don't agree with it, but that the story behind it. It the same way how a employee timetable has the train names listed for corridors, but on the public timetable it's just " Empire Service".
I'm now wondering if there are actual examples of this still floating around (i.e. more than just numbers on the internal timetables); if so, I'd be interested in seeing those tables. Then again, I'd enjoy reading an employee timetable at some point just out of curiosity.

I do wish they'd keep the names on the cars/restore them, but I'll at least agree that non-geographic names (or at least, non-location-specific ones) would make sense. One thing to remember is that, unless I'm mistaken, in the "old days", at least the higher-end equipment would tend to spend most of its time on the same route(s) and in the same sets. This went double for articulated sets (e.g. the "Train of the Gods/Goddesses"), but I think the practice tended to occur quite often...and even Amtrak tended to do this in its early years, keeping (for example) SCL equipment on the Florida runs. This practice died off both as new orders were placed/old equipment was retired and as routes were dropped (to say nothing of Amtrak dumping more equipment from some roads than others...it is likely not a coincidence that a lot of the initially-ordered equipment was used on ex-PC routes).

on our recent vancouver-toronto rt on the canadian we were in the wolfe manor one way and the major a.b. "hells bells" rogers manor for the return. another nice little via rail extra. i have long wished amtrak would pay some attention to the history of its trains and routes (they did a bit for the eb on its 75th anniversary, iirc). i would think named cars could be used in advertising to some extent. anyway, i favor them

I voted for Names on both Sleepers and the Diners! Ive ridden many times on the Superliner IIs that are named after the States and also the George Pullman Sleeper! (even though the names have been removed from the Outside!! :wacko: ) It would be cool if 8400 was named something Like the Turquoise Room (does BNSF still own the Name???)or similar!How much could it cost as has been said?? The Retro Paint schemes on the Anniversary Train and Engines probably cost more , but IMO was worth it!!! :wub:

Ive also ridden on the VIA Named Cars and find it adds to the Ambience of Train Travel! As has been said, its not the same to Ride and Sleep in 6308 and Eat in 9955!!! :rolleyes:

I like names for the sleepers and diners. I think 8400 is named Indianapolis, an excellent

name since Beech Grove is a section of Indy. Perhaps a nice photo of the Indianapolis Motor

Speedway would be appropriate to be hung in the diner.

I like names for the sleepers and diners. I think 8400 is named Indianapolis, an excellent name since Beech Grove is a section of Indy. Perhaps a nice photo of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway would be appropriate to be hung in the diner.
Photos of fast cars on a slow train? That's just adding insult to injury if you ask me. :mellow:

I might get attacked for suggesting this, but why doesn't Amtrak sell/lease the naming rights to its cars?

You could tie the cost to put your name on a sleeper car for ten years to what would be the average maintenance costs for that period of time.

The companies would also have rights to use their sponsored car in advertisements.

I for one would not mind riding in the Exxon sleeper car or eating in the Bank of America Diner if I knew it would help the bottom line.

I would love names on sleepers, but I don't want names on serice cars like diners unless you put them on all cars, including coaches. You don't have to name them after cities.

I for one would not mind riding in the Exxon sleeper car or eating in the Bank of America Diner if I knew it would help the bottom line.
Even when they cover up the windows with advert wraps?
Even without the wraps I wouldn't want to be in bed with companies like those.

Advert wraps and car names are two different things. IMHO one is about getting a lot of eyeballs and the other is about positive PR.

Also I named politically charged companies for a reason, if you feel you cannot ride a train or car sponsored by companies you find morally objectionable then by all means, don't. I won't try to convince you otherwise :giggle:

I love having names on all of the California, specifically Surfliner, Cars. I really enjoy being able to look and see if I'll be riding in "Solana Beach" or "Mission Bay" or "Coldwater Canyon" or something else along those lines. All of these local names give me good thought and memories, i.e. Solana Beach (pretty obvious why), Mission Bay is where I used to go to waterski, Coldwater Canyon has a nice park my grandma used to take us to, etc. The names mean different things to different people, but I do think it's good that they're subtle and not plastered everywhere. I also like the idea of not having to remember the sleeper I'm in at the diner, and maybe just say "Oh, I'm in Yellowstone" (just an example, if Amtrak named them after Nat. Parks. Don't criticize me for this, I just needed an example)

Even when they cover up the windows with advert wraps?
Even without the wraps I wouldn't want to be in bed with companies like those.
Advert wraps and car names are two different things. IMHO one is about getting a lot of eyeballs and the other is about positive PR. Also I named politically charged companies for a reason, if you feel you cannot ride a train or car sponsored by companies you find morally objectionable then by all means, don't. I won't try to convince you otherwise.
I find it unlikely that selling naming rights to a black sheep company like Exxon or Bank of America is going to make Amtrak much money or build much positive (net) PR for Amtrak. Not to mention that Amtrak would only be creating friction between Chase and BOA while spoiling their "green" image with Exxon. At best I believe you would end up with a wash. Better to focus on companies that actually make sense to be partnered with Amtrak. General Electric makes more sense than Exxon. Alstom, Bombardier, Hyundai, Siemens, or Talgo might work. Athearn or Bachmann for that matter. How about VIA? City of Chicago? State of California? Plenty of other options out there.

While everyone is talking about naming or not naming sleeper cars, what about locomotives? Does Amtrak "christen" any of their locomotives? In the olden days I believe some, if not all, steam locomotives had individual names, and I find that concept very fascinating. I do not know if Amtrak or any commuter railroad names their diesel and electric locomotives anymore. I know in India even today a lot of locomotives are given individual names, mostly by the depot that houses them, and the name is proudly painted on the sides or front of the locomotive, for example, see this photo of electric locomotive #31086 named Dr. Silver. (Don't ask me how and why this name came into being, I do not have the answer!).

While everyone is talking about naming or not naming sleeper cars, what about locomotives? Does Amtrak "christen" any of their locomotives? In the olden days I believe some, if not all, steam locomotives had individual names, and I find that concept very fascinating. I do not know if Amtrak or any commuter railroad names their diesel and electric locomotives anymore.
Doesn't Caltrain name some of its engines?

I know in India even today a lot of locomotives are given individual names, mostly by the depot that houses them, and the name is proudly painted on the sides or front of the locomotive, for example, see this photo of electric locomotive #31086 named Dr. Silver. (Don't ask me how and why this name came into being, I do not have the answer!).
My favorite WAP-5 is "Vijay Utkarsh" which lived through a collision to be rebuilt and is still in service.

The last steam locomotive manufactured in India was aptly christened "Antim Sitara" - "The Last Star"

While everyone is talking about naming or not naming sleeper cars, what about locomotives? Does Amtrak "christen" any of their locomotives? In the olden days I believe some, if not all, steam locomotives had individual names, and I find that concept very fascinating. I do not know if Amtrak or any commuter railroad names their diesel and electric locomotives anymore. I know in India even today a lot of locomotives are given individual names, mostly by the depot that houses them, and the name is proudly painted on the sides or front of the locomotive, for example, see this photo of electric locomotive #31086 named Dr. Silver. (Don't ask me how and why this name came into being, I do not have the answer!).
I know CalTrain names their locomotives, which until a few years ago was an Amtrak-related entity (Amtrak provided the crews, but another company won the contract over Amtrak recently.)

In a related note, a lot of airlines name their aircraft. After doing a real simple Google search on 'Plane Names" I came up with a surprising list. Needless to say, I was rather surprised to see just how many aircraft have names, even ones for major carriers like United, American and Southwest. I've seen plenty of rather 'tongue-in-cheek' names for jetBlue's fleet as well as Virgin America's.

Just a few examples:

United Airlines:

• N7444U "City of Cleveland"
  • N171UA "Spirit of Seattle"
  • N607UA "City of Denver"

Southwest Airlines:

American Airlines:

jetBlue:

Virgin America:

• N621VA "air colbert"
  • N635VA "my other ride's a spaceship"

I know CalTrain names their locomotives, which until a few years ago was an Amtrak-related entity (Amtrak provided the crews, but another company won the contract over Amtrak recently.)

In a related note, a lot of airlines name their aircraft. After doing a real simple Google search on 'Plane Names" I came up with a surprising list. Needless to say, I was rather surprised to see just how many aircraft have names, even ones for major carriers like United, American and Southwest. I've seen plenty of rather 'tongue-in-cheek' names for jetBlue's fleet as well as Virgin America's.
Airlines naming their planes is a very common practice and almost all airlines in the world have a bunch of named planes, especially the widebody fleet. Closer home here in the United States, I find the naming convention of Frontier Airlines the most interesting. They not only name each plane after a different animal, but also paint the plane's tail with a photo of that animal. Meet the Frontier Animals.

I like names on things a lot (even if it means more typing a labeling when I am uploading a photo to my website), seeing the George M. Pullman made me think about what he did to make rail travel civilized.

When I took the Canadian there was kind of a funny name issue since a Manor Car MacKenzie and one of my attendant's names was Mackenzie although I was sleeping in Carleton Manor and her second car (each gets a car and a half) was not the MacKenzie, it was one of the back-up/deadheading cars. Walking through Mackenzie (the car) I had to tell myself my section is not here but farther up.

In terms of Commuter Rail Chicagoland's Metra has names on most of its locomotives after the various suburbs it serves and people List.

Metro-North (and the State of Connecticut owned ones) have named there Shoreliner I and IIs (this is what Metro-North calls its Comets, what Amtrak's Horizons are based on) for there diesel fleet List. I remember once riding the "Danbury Hatter" up to Danbury which was one of two cars on the Danbury Shuttle which I found quite fitting.

Strangely Rocky Mountaineer (Rail Tours) has only named a few of there Gold Leaf Domes (and also one of there locomotives for Peter Armstrong, the primary owner) and these are all for important long term executives to the company with great fanfare at their naming.

Metra names their engines.

Edit: Sorry, just noticed that the above post mentions this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back