Food Trucks in Portland

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sechs

Engineer
I'm expecting to be in Portland later this month on the layover between the Empire Builder and Coast Starlight. I'll need to pick up something for lunch, and thought, this time, I'd like to try out some of the truck fare; I'd love some suggestions.

Time allowing, I'm going to pick up some product from Voodoo Doughnuts, which is on 3rd Ave, just off Burnside; so, anything vaguely between Union Station and there would be on the way. Also, if it makes a difference, this will be a weekday.

Thanks

My favorite is Violetta http://violettapdx.com/ which used to be a food truck, but has now moved into a small building in Director Park. I's a few blocks southwest of Voodoo, but if the trains are on time, you should be able to hop on the MAX. It's only a couple of blocks from Pioneer Square.

Just letting you know, lunch is still being served on the CS upon leaving PDX!
If you're willing to wait two hours....
Two hours will kill you?
huh.gif

Most days I don't even have lunch at all! I only do if on a train, because it is included with the sleeper! Sometimes I skip it or leave most of it on the plate! After eating breakfast a few hours earlier, I do not sometimes feel like eating again so soon!

If you really must eat, there are a number of restaurants in downtown. I have also seen many food trucks, but I can't remember the street. (It's been 2 years since I've been to PDX.) Also if you walk 1/2 block to the front of the Greyhound station (next door to Union Station) and take a GREEN line MAX to Lloyd Center, that is a mall. I'm sure you can find food there. Or continue on the GREEN line right to the very end, and you end up at the Clackamas Towne Center - another mall - with food!

Another place downtown with food is around Pioneer Square.

Time allowing, I'm going to pick up some product from Voodoo Doughnuts...
Unfortunately I cannot comment on the food truck fare, but I can tell you that I found the freshness and flavor of Voodoo Doughnuts to be well below what the hype would imply. No better than any other generic doughnut place in my view. They do have lots of oddball shapes and coatings so there's that, but for the most part I'd say it was a bust. If you do go be prepared to wait a long time for average taste.

Just letting you know, lunch is still being served on the CS upon leaving PDX!
If you're willing to wait two hours....
Two hours will kill you?

Most days I don't even have lunch at all!

I only do if on a train, because it is included with the sleeper!

Sometimes I skip it or leave most of it on the plate!

After eating breakfast a few hours earlier, I do not sometimes feel like eating again so soon!

If you really must eat, there are a number of restaurants in downtown!

Also if you walk 1/2 block to the front of the Greyhound station (next door to Union Station) and take a GREEN line MAX to Lloyd Center, that is a mall!

Or continue on the GREEN line right to the very end, and you end up at the Clackamas Towne Center - another mall - with food!
picard_facepalm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For once, I was going to agree with TS - now only partially.

I do not eat doughnuts that often, but I also think Voodoo is only average. I had them once, but would not go out of my way for them again.

However, the last "comment" was totally uncalled for! (And I am posting as an AU member - I am entitled to my opinion also.)

Let me add my vote supporting those who don't know what the Voodoo fuss is all about. I spent an hour on a Saturday afternoon waiting in line, and wasn't impressed with what I got. Give me beignets from Cafe du Monde in New Orleans any day, or at least doughnuts from Top Pot here in Seattle.

Unfortunately I cannot comment on the food truck fare, but I can tell you that I found the freshness and flavor of Voodoo Doughnuts to be well below what the hype would imply. No better than any other generic doughnut place in my view. They do have lots of oddball shapes and coatings so there's that, but for the most part I'd say it was a bust. If you do go be prepared to wait a long time for average taste.
I'm pretty sure that you've downplayed the best part of their product.
I've been there many times, and have always had a positive experience. While I admit that there's nothing special about the doughnuts themselves, it is what they do with them that makes them great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back